Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Getting into instruction - some advice please!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello all! Madeye-Smiley

I am looking for some advice on how to get a foot on the ladder in the instructing profession. At the moment I am a 23 year old graduate working as a Chalet Host in the Three Valleys. I completed the BASI Level 1 Course in November and am currently gaining my required 35 hours shadowing with New Generation Ski School who are excellent! However I'm now trying to work out what to do next and would appreciate some advice.

I've been looking at doing a season in NZ or Oz but am having difficulty finding anything suitable or getting an interview. I've tried most of the medium sized resorts in NZ and Mt Buller in Oz to no avail. I'm wondering what it is I am missing from my CV! Puzzled I am quite happy to start at the very bottom of the pile, teaching under 5's or suchlike and am keen to progress to Level 2 as soon as possible. Obviously I'll need another 35 hours shadowing before I can sign onto the course. To get these hours over summer I'm also considering working in a non-instructor role in NZ/Oz to get the hours in, would that be a good start?

Any advice would be very welcome! I live in Scotland so do have a few options for shadowing over Summer (Hillend, Xscape) and Winter but would like some expert/experienced advice to start making some decisions.

Thanks! Very Happy

S x
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
MickeyHouse, you really need to have BASI 2 to get any work, particularly on-snow work (i.e. not dryslope / snowdome). You shouldn't have any problems picking up 35 hours shadowing in Scotland (Hillend, Bearsden, etc.), but can you not do them with New Gen while you're there?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
MickeyHouse, You need your BASI L2 at least. You should be booking onto an L2 course at the end of the season (if your skiing's good enough) and applying to ski schools as an L2. How come you haven't already got your full 70 hours shadowing in? Working as a chalet host you should be able to average 3/4 hours shadowing a day, 5 days a week easily. That's a maximum of 5 weeks to get it all signed off. It's now March. Are you sure you're serious about this?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You can work over in Australia without a qualification. I worked in Thredbo for a season and there were people who just turned up without anything, so a L1 would give you an advantage.
However as Raceplate, says I would try and get your level 2 before you go. If the reason you are finding it difficult is due to lack of availability from Newgen try some of the other skis schools! This is also allows you to see different teaching techniques.
If you had your level 2 going down there you would be gaining your hours necessary for your Level 3, plus it makes you on a higher standing compared to others.

I would try more of the Australian resorts, NZ does tend to request higher certs.
Try Thredbo, Perisher and Hotham. (Thredbo has a slightly separate ski school for under 7s called Thredboland by the way.)
Good luck!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ditto some of the comments above re getting Level 2 and shadowing all done before you head down under.

When I first started out and headed to NZ for my first Winter teaching in 2004 I had my BASI 2 and some of my ISIA modules behind me and 2 seasons teaching experience on snow (in Whistler - where again qualifications were not necessary - but that is a different story) as well as much dry slope experience (back in the Wycombe Summit days) - in total some 1500 hours of experience give or take. I had contacts (from Whistler) who helped me get on the 'rookie hiring clinic' as I could not get a guaranteed job before I went even though getting a working holiday visa was OK for me as I was young enough at the time! Anyway I did the hiring clinic on the first day of the season to fill spots at Coronet Peak for places that had been offered to ISIA level instructors but whom (for whatever reason) has failed to turn up. There was about 100 of us going for about 10 places and I was lucky enough to get taken on.... our personal skiing was accessed as well as being asked to teach a couple of dummy lessons. There were some people on the hiring clinic who had no qualifications at all but really impressed with their enthusiasm and got taken on and likewise there was a Level 4 who did not get taken on - so it really was a case of touch and go! In future years I was given a sponsored visa and a guaranteed space but getting my foot in the door was tough!

This was all with the backdrop of many fewer 'gappies' and the hundreds of Level 1 and 2's that come through the system each season now that is making competition for jobs tougher!

I agree with Pete88 - look at the Aussie resorts - shorter season but less fussy re qualifications! I know of one colleague here in Val d'Isere (Italian guy) who works in Thredbo and has done for about 10 seasons now and he is TOTALLY swamped with work but only for the 2 and a bit busy months of the season down there! He loves it that way as can spend May, September and October each year chilling out between seasons!

Good luck!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks Pete88 - I have been asking every week with New Gen and due to GAP courses etc who have priority I have been struggling to get the hours in, especially as most classes run 9.15am which of course clashes with chalet work. I've almost finished my Level 1 hours (35) but there's no way I'll manage the other 35 for BASI Level 2 before I leave. I have however already looked into doing my BASI Level 2 as soon as possible, just a question of money now Happy Thanks for the heads up on Oz resorts though, I'll look into that today!

I got the impression from the Level 1 course that it also allowed you to teach on nursery slopes (which of course would be a good start!), or is this not the case?

Great to hear the stories of how people got their "foot in the door" - it's quite a closed industry to a newbie so any advice/stories/experiences are all really helpful. Spoken to a few instructors out here and all have similar stories to you Steve Angus - most trained when dry slope qualifications were separate and gappies weren't flooding the job market.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you're under 30 then there's plenty of work in the Northen Hemisphere winter in the Niseko Resort Area of Hokkaido, Japan.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
..... just one other thing MickeyHouse - officially it does not have to be shadowing hours but actually it is 'ski school experience' - so for example I know people who have offered their services in rental areas of skis schools (those that rent equipment and offer lessons of course) or indeed going to the meeting points and helping to sort lessons / deal with late-comers etc on the first day of kids ski school in the school hols - all those hours will add up.

AFA what Level 1/2 etc allow you to teach etc..... then very often it is the employer that will chose whether to follow the awarding bodies recommendations or not.... what I mean by that is just because your BASI 1 license says 'indoor' stuff does not mean to say an 'outdoor' slope e.g. in Australia would not take you on - in the same way that just because I am qualified to teach 'off piste' here in Europe does not mean to say if I worked in OZ / NZ I would be allowed to take people off-piste or vice-a-versa! So the qualification is a qualification in the eyes of an OZ employer so don't despair. If I were you I would try and get as much shadowing and training in before heading to the other side of the world and make sure you have a working holiday visa and go to OZ / NZ or wherever and join the queue of people 'knocking' on the door for the hiring clinic at the start of the season...... it is far from a 'good' scenario but unfortunately that is the way they have it down under / NZ i.e. the employer is king and supply well outstrips demand in terms of instructors!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In answer to the question 'what am I missing from my CV', the answer is - experience and qualifications. It could be a bit tough to find a job in the southern hemisphere, as a lot of people want to go there. In NZ it has apparently been getting easier for lower certs to get jobs, as the ski school doesn't want to pay full cert wages for lower level lessons, so you may have a chance at the hiring clinics there.

Another route might be to go down there, work in a different department and do a weekly training course for your NZ level 2.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I got the impression from the Level 1 course that it also allowed you to teach on nursery slopes (which of course would be a good start!), or is this not the case?

A BASI L1 qualifies you to teach on indoor and artificial slopes (e.g. snow domes, dry slopes) but not on any actual mountains whether they are nursery slopes or not.

As the others have said experience is what you will need most of to stand out from the crowd. Bit of a catch-22 situation I'm afraid.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thank you everyone, that's been a massive help. I've applied to loads of jobs in Australia including the "non-qualified" roles which provide training and am looking at ways to get to Level 2 as soon as possible. Your help has been invaluable! If anyone has any other stories of how they got into teaching/any advice then please keep it coming Smile
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
MickeyHouse, my NZ experience was similar also to story from Steve Angus, except Turoa being the resort. Many hopefuls actually abandonned the clinic when hearing a payment of $120 was required to attend, and only 5 jobs were going! Many instructors had 2 jobs to make ends meet, e.g. i worked a cafe on closed days, 2 of my friends did fri/sat behind the bar in the main pub.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi MickeyHouse

A colleague who I both work with here in Val d'Isere and then in the summer he works at Coronet Peak (near Queenstown NZ) and in particular he runs a GAP year style instructor training company just sent this around.... thought you might be interested! His email address is either:

colin at tdcski.com or
colin at sitco.co.nz

"Level 2's work opportunities in NZ.
For those that don't know me, I've been going down to NZ for a number of years, and this year in conjunction with the Coronet Peak ski school I am happy to say that we have got permission to run a Work and Train program, aimed at Level 2 qualified ski instructors. (I am afraid that for 2014 we only have ski instructor positions available)
We have a number of job places set aside or on hold for people who are willing to sign up for a training program as well.
Work is fully paid – You will be full employees of the ski school. (June/July)
Training is 12 days either 3 days a week for 4 weeks. (August)
You would come down to NZ work for 5 weeks June/July and be a full member of the Ski School, and then after the busy school holidays they are then released, and the can join in the structured Performance Training.
Level 3 Training is generic “ski/teach better” performance and development training.
People can be BASI, NZSIA, CSIA or any qualification.
There is an option to sit the NZSIA Level 3, and in the future we are hoping to add in a Race Training option as well.
Level 2’s sometimes find it hard to get work down in NZ due to the mass of people applying, and this is a great opportunity for maybe some of you who are newly qualified instructors to get experience, hours and training all at the same time.
If anyone is interested, or you would like further information then please contact me."

If you can get your Level 2 in now then you could have an option there!!!!!!

Good luck,

Steve
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi! Just realised I didn't reply to this one - thanks so much for putting me in touch!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
MickeyHouse, if any L1s want to shadow in 3Vs with New Gen, in your experience who should we best speak to at New Gen?
Good luck Down Under
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy