Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

transfers vs car hire and accomodoation, avoriaz or tignes

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ok - confusing title for the thread I know, but a few questions and a short title needed!

I've narrowed down our easter holiday (fri 11th - sat 19th april flying LHR-GVA) to either Avoriaz or Tignes. Avoriaz looks good for the family aspect (me and mrs L plus 8 and 6 year olds - both reasonable skiiers), Tignes is our fallback if the snow is really dreadful everywhere else by then.

I'm holding off booking (unless I can get a flexible deal) the accom until closer - but has anyone got any recommendations for either resort. We want QUIET, at least 2 rooms (it ain't a holiday for us if we have to sleep in one room with the kids!), easy access to the slopes etc?

Quiet a few appartments are coming up on booking.com for both areas and they all look much of a muchness on tripadvisor. Also alot of places seem to advertise sat - sat or sun-sun, but does anyone know if they do extra days - i.e we are going fri-sat - 8 nights?

Also where does everyone stand on transfers vs car hire and when does car hire become worthwhile. Do all transfer companies charge 2 adults and 2 little ones as 4 'people'? On our previous holidays in austria (niederau) we've hired a car from munich and its been great to have the car in the week to get around to other bus-linked resorts without using the bus, but having never been to a purpose built french resort I'm not sure if having the car during the week is any benefit? and then its just a straight financial decision of transfer cost vs the car? Thoughts? personally I like the freedom of the car and would be willing to pay a little extra, but the costs of the transfers seem to differ widly on a goolge when I'm not really sure what I'm looking at (I guess there's good and bad companies, like everything else!) so a little feedback, experience from guys and gals here would be appreciated!

Sorry for all the questions, but we've done one crystal holdiay to niederau and 2 DIY's to niederau in the same hotel, so I knew what I was doing. this is all new to me!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
alexl,
Cant help with accommodation. I have always found car hire cheaper and more convenient than transfers for a family but agree that it will be of little use in a purpose built resort. The one exception to this is that you can buy a wider range of food cheaper by stopping off at a supermarket on the way if you are self catering.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If going to Avoriaz, remember to factor in the price of parking as well - I think there's no free parking at resort level.

Also, as the parking is outside the resort, you have to get your stuff to and from the car by another trasnport mode (horse-buggy or wheelbarrow), and going out midweek will probably be too much faff, so a car at Avoriaz may not be any advantage, whereas it could well be in a more 'normal' resort where you can normally park a bit closer to the accommodation.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You have to pay to park in Tignes too if you want to keep the car reasonably close to where you will be staying.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you are going at Easter then I would recommend Tignes rather than Avoriaz. At the very end of April the height really does make a difference.
Since Easter is often very quiet (the French prefer to go to the beach rather than ski) it should not be a problem getting an extra day. Phone the immobiliers and talk to them. To find the immobiliers (French for estate agent) visit the resort web site and search from there.
Does anyone remeber when the car parks in Tignes become free. I remember the big one being free over the Mayday weekend, but is it free the week before (Easter week)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd go to Tignes - maybe Val Claret. It'll be a more expensive transfer, so that increases the case for renting a car, as that'll cost the same.

I think you might struggle for the extra night - maybe nearer the time you'd be able to find someone with an apartment empty the previous week but they'll be holding out for a complete week rental. They tend to be fairly inflexible IME. Have you booked flights out on Friday? If so, and if you can't get 8 nights in tignes, you could spend Friday night somewhere like Bourg St Maurice.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Which would mean renting a car, obviously. wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
alexl, I could offer you 8 nights catered, with lift passes and airport transfers in a great chalet right on the piste in Sainte Foy for €1949 total for your family of 4.

Ski a couple of days at Tignes / Les Arcs / La Rosiere during the week if you like.

PM me if you're interested!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy