Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Powder bindings

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi!

I've just purchased my first pair of skis. They're a pair of twisted sista pow rockers measuring 185cm, 151 tip to 122 underfoot. Basically, they're going off piste. I just need to buy bindings for them. However, I've got absolutely no experience of this and searches on the internet haven't revealed much explanation on what I should look for etc.

Two Questions:

1) What should I look for when buying bindings? (special features, quality etc.)

2) I'm prepared to spend up to and around £200 on the bindings (I got the skis really cheap!). Can anyone recommend a pair of bindings that are good for off-piste/touring?

Thanks!

Will
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Stick a pair of Marker Barons (or Salomon Guardians/the Atomic version/etc) on them.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Touring implies going uphill. Is that what you mean? I don't think the Baron has that ability.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
RobW wrote:
Touring implies going uphill. Is that what you mean? I don't think the Baron has that ability.

They certainly do, and work very well in that regard. However, I'm not sure the skis would be the best choice for going uphill!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
And what if I don't want to tour? What are the best bindings in that case?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Stick a pair of Marker Barons (or Salomon Guardians/the Atomic version/etc) on them.

there you go
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thedeeperthebetter, If you really don't want to tour you could fit Salomon WTR, Marker Jester/Squire (if you are light), Rossi/Look Pivot. Bindings these days mostly function about the same on the way down...but --- skiing offpiste often means a walk or skin to get to the best snow...which is where you have a choice -- and this will depend on the boots you have or want to buy.

The easiest boots to walk in will be touring boots. These have a rockered sole and a walk mode to make walking more efficient. These boots will only be compatible with touring bindings and some (not all) downhill bindings (Salomon WTR and some Marker). You will also come across 'Tech' bindings (Dynafit, Plum) which are touring specific -- we'll ignore them.

Normal alpine boots have a completely flat sole -- these are less efficient to walk in but will fit in any alpine binding.

So if you already have boots and are happy to walk in them - more or less any alpine binding would do. If not -- you have some choices to make.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
RobW wrote:

Barons do have a touring mode.

OP, if you don't plan to tour, then just stick whatever you can find at a good price and in DIN range on them.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thedeeperthebetter wrote:
Hi!

"122 underfoot"
Will

Brake size ( don't forget you can bend them ! so maybe from 110 brake - i.e. 7mm bend either side) and DIN setting i.e. c 1/10th your body weight in kg with an offset for age/aggression/skill. So 80 Kg skier best served by a 5-10 range binding. BUT do your pwn research/checking re DIN setting I am only an amateur...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy