Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

les coches to la plagne

Poster: A snowHead
off to les coches monday with a first week skier, she's done learn to ski course at chill factore, ,she can snowplough turn, planning on a couple of hours one on one tuition first morning.
Does anyone know what the blues across to bellecote are like, is it possible for a first week skier to explore the area,dont know whether its worth upgrading the village pass,will she get value from upgrading, possibly get over to les arcs too
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
From the top of Arpette down to Bellecote the blues are very gentle, probabley some of the easiest blues in the whole resort.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
martone, I've been to Les Coches three times. Great base for Paradiski. There are lots of cruising runs above Les Coches over into Belle Plagne and beyond. As eblunt says the runs down from Arpette in particular are very gentle as indeed they are if you come back over to Les Coches via the same col. Marginal whether they need Les Arcs aswell but it would be a shame not to take advantage of the proximity so if budget allows...

Just on the private lesson, I would do it 3rd morning. By that state your friend will have practiced what they've learnt so far in the full mountain environment and will be ripe for more tuition/coaching IMO.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
martone, Upgrade to La Plagne pass but don't waste money buying an all area pass. I am in Les Arcs next week, we know the area very well and for a beginner the Paradski is a complete waste.

One tip, when you get off the Sala lift heading towards Plagne Bellecote, there are 3 runs under the Arpette lift, do not take the right hand side one (St Jaques), its as flat as a pancake and if you get it wrong it can be a long slog. The middle one (Dune?) is nice and fine for a beginner.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
martone, Upgrade to La Plagne pass but don't waste money buying an all area pass. I am in Les Arcs next week, we know the area very well and for a beginner the Paradski is a complete waste.

If they were staying anywhere but Les Coches I might agree. But being so close to the VE it's as easy to get over to Les Arcs as to get over to central La Plagne. Depends a little bit on the mindset and finances of the individual also.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I can only echo what thefatcontroller, has said - don't bother with Les Arcs there is plenty in La Plagne.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi,

FWIW I tend to agree with Layne that Les Coche is very close to the Van Express, and if the weather is cloudy/foggy then the tree runs above Peissey are excellent in poor viz. Also your friend could get lessons with the excellent staff at New Generation - I would commend Sian who last week helped my (nervous) wife to make a major skill breakthrough. Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thefatcontroller wrote:

One tip, when you get off the Sala lift heading towards Plagne Bellecote, there are 3 runs under the Arpette lift, do not take the right hand side one (St Jaques), its as flat as a pancake and if you get it wrong it can be a long slog. The middle one (Dune?) is nice and fine for a beginner.

Agree re the runs from Arpette, avoid the right hand one flat as a witches tyt. The middle one takes you down to Bellecote and is nice but also the left of the three drops you into Belle Plagne and that's nice too.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I took some first week snowboarders all the way to the top of the Bellecote glacier on their 3rd day. It was slow progress but the only really tricky bit that couldn't be avoided by downloading was the Les Marrmotts red. If she can side slip a short steep section she'll be fine and have a real sense of achievement and some great photos.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
martone, interesting mixture of opinions.
1. Getting from Les Coches into the La Plagne bowl is definitely possible for your first week skie2.
2. Which day to have Private Lesson? Layne suggests Day 3. I disagree. Your friend will just pick up bad habits and possilbly lose confidence. Start Private Lessons day 1, but don't just have one. Almost useless. Ideally you need 3. One lesson will fade in minutes. Two lessons will last a day. Three lessons will last a lifetime (well, the rest of the week certainly snowHead ).
3. Which pass? Get the Discovery Pass, which allows you one trip across the Vanoise. For snowy/cloudy days there are plenty of tree runs in the Montchavin/Les Coches sector, but a trip across to Les Arcs on the Vanoise is an opportunity not to be missed, even if you then stay in the Peisey/Vallandry sector.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
6 days:
Unlimited: 277 Euros
Discovery: 257 Euros
La Plagne: 235 Euros

So for 22 Euros more you can spend a day, for 42 Euros more you can spend 2 days or more. A one day extension by itself is 32.50.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:
Start Private Lessons day 1

The problem with doing it on day 1 is that the whole environment, ski's, etc. will be new and so you won't be at your best, therefore won't get the most out of your lesson. Also, in this case they have come straight from a course in a fridge so their head will already be full of stuff. Better to give a day or two to flesh in and then top it up. All IMHO.

Quote:
but don't just have one. Almost useless. Ideally you need 3.

I had 1 x 1 hour lesson once. And I learnt a lot. We were on the go all the time, going half way up a drag. Very intense. Picked out 2 or 3 major faults, which I was able to then work on for the rest of the week and beyond. The instructor/pupil involved will obviously be a big factor.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
After going to Les Coches in February I was pleasantly surprised
how much enjoyable skiing there was within the Coolski pass. Provided the snow was good I'd be surprised if she needed more than that for a few days at least. Plagne Bellecote is s**t, intersecting runs, congested, wildly differing abilities and speeds, an accident waiting to happen - coupled with queues at times too. Enough to put a beginner off for life.
When she's good enough to need more than Coolski (I say again, provided the snow's good enough), get the Vanoise to Les arcs instead.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Plagne Bellecote is s**t, intersecting runs, congested, wildly differing abilities and speeds, an accident waiting to happen - coupled with queues at times too. Enough to put a beginner off for life.

Hairybiker, agree in February. But in late March it's just not a problem - so much quieter.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hairybiker, never seen that Coolski. It's not a bad shout actually for a couple of days for this person. Those runs are nice terrain for the profile the OP is talking about. Then as you say get the wider pass for the other 4 days. I wonder if there is any intention to ski together or whether this newbie will be skiing by herself all week.
snow report
thanks for all the tips and advice,great response as ever, looks like we are in for some snowfall over the next few days so lets go, Very Happy 3 more sleeps Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
martone, all the above advice is fair: different strokes for different folks.
I've been skiing around La Plagne this last week with a mixed group. Opinions of conditions and runs have varied widely.
One or two have grumbled continually, others have loved everything.
Some people have no sense of adventure and model themselves on Eeyore or Mr Meldrew, others will have a go at anything.
Bellecote can be busy with queues, but less so now. Usually Blanchette is empty while Collossus is heaving.
And of course, keep skiing through "lunchtime" - always fascinates me that between 12 and 2 vast numbers of people pile into crowded restaurants leaving the pistes and lifts empty. Long may the ritual continue.
ski holidays
Jonpim wrote:
And of course, keep skiing through "lunchtime" - always fascinates me that between 12 and 2 vast numbers of people pile into crowded restaurants leaving the pistes and lifts empty. Long may the ritual continue.

Shocked SShh. Don't tell everyone.
snow report
thefatcontroller, +1
snow report
I would certainly wait a few days before heading over to bellecote and beyond to assess her ability. As stated the blues on that side are very gentle down to Belle and Bellcotte but the run back to Les Coches if i recall is a bit steep in places. I think you have to take the very long Mont Blanc piste which is fun but i wouldn't take a first weeker down it on the first few days.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy