Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tell me about Zermatt?

Poster: A snowHead
I know there have been threads like this before, but I thought you might like a fresh opportunity to share your wisdom Smile

I'm going to Zermatt next week! What are good things to know?

(I'm an early intermediate entirely on-piste skier, I've never been to Switzerland, going with a group in a chalet, not too worried about bars and the like)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What is the name or location of the Chalet as that could help with any advice, Zermatt is quite a long village but there is a regular bus service to take you about if needed, this is the site I always use for information http://www.zermatt.ch/en/
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:
I'm going to Zermatt next week! What are good things to know?
That:
- You'll love it - the ski area is brilliant.
- That Cervinia's long, cruisey pistes will also be great for you - so get over there if you can. Food and drink are tons cheaper over there too wink .
- You'll fill your camera's memory card with photos of the brilliant scenery. And all your pics will show the Matterhorn Smile.
- On a sunny day, lunch on the terrace of the Kulmhotel Gornergrat (at the top of the Gornergrat railway) is worth splashing out on for the view.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks!

I think my chalet is near the Matterhorn Express gondola
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
finestgreen, Its a great place...you'll love it, keep meaning to go over there before the end of the season.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Any favourite runs? Disliked runs?

I'm just starting to get brave enough for black runs (I did a few in Tignes last year but avoided the hardest looking ones) - which ones should I have a crack at first?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
For red moving to black run skier....try (from left to right as you look at the piste map) the red from Rothorn down to Gant, (no 19), the National (Cool leave it til about 11am when the early morning ice/hardened corduroy from grooming has softened a bit, White Hare (2Cool and Kelle (29) no 62 (Furgg/Furi) . The timing on this last one is important too, it gets busy just before lunch time, end of the day, that sort of thing. Early/mid morning or when everyone else is eating maybe ! You don't say where you have done your previous skiing, and piste grading is of course not uniforms so these may be easier (or harder) than you are used to. All quite long and good fun, in any event.
In Cervinia, try and get a nice blue sky day, set off early and do the series of linked runs down to Valtourneche. Not hard, only the very top bit over into Cervinia from the top of the T Bar is steep, just an amazing lovely long run, one of the longest in the Alps I believe. Basically once you are over the top into Cervinia, just keep going left, every time there is an option!
Have fun!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
scotsgirl, I think you're right about the run being one of the longest, was it once Red 7? Brilliant cruisy run.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Swissie wrote:
scotsgirl, I think you're right about the run being one of the longest, was it once Red 7? Brilliant cruisy run.

Yes, Red 7 is a lovely long run and it's also called the Ventina. More info on Cervinia here. Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You were right, I did love it! Especially as we only had to queue for a lift a couple of times all week Very Happy

In general I found the piste grading a bit strange, much easier than other places I've skied and difficult to see much distinction between blues and reds.

The advice I would have liked was: don't do run number 52! Ludicrous uphill nonsense Mad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
my best friend just got back today and he has been skiing for 35 yrs. He said he had probably the best trip ever. Sounds good enough to me
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

The advice I would have liked was: don't do run number 52! Ludicrous uphill nonsense

Very Happy That does get people! It is a pity because the run down from Schwarzsee is really nice until you get to that bit. I often end up doing it because I love doing the black 54. Even on a busy day there are never that many people doing it - and you feel as though you are skiing off the Matterhorn itself.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You can avoid it by taking number 51, Weisse Perle, but admittedly you have to make that decision higher up. After a nice lunch at Stafelalp, the only way is up, but it does make you feel like you are working off some calories!
If you found the piste grading easy, then maybe you are ready (next time!) to try some of the yellow itineraries? The Triftji bumps usually gets the thighs burning (well mine at least, although dodgy knees are my excuse for avoiding those these days!)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

You can avoid it by taking number 51, Weisse Perle, but admittedly you have to make that decision higher up

Puzzled That doesn't help surely? The 52 and 51 join up shortly after Stafelalp - and the uphill bit comes after that. It never bothers me as I am on skis - but my two snowboarding sons go mad every time we end up there.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes but the junction is after the uphill bit…
snow report
JohnMo, The runs merge after the steep uphill section on run 52. The only real uphill section on the Weisse Perl is just outside the Silvana restaurant - a few yards at most - just before you ski into Furi although you need to keep up speed on the flatter sections to avoid coming to a halt. I used to avoid the run past Stafelalp because of the uphill section but the restaurant there is now really excellent so, like scotsgirl, I think of the calories I'm using up! There is also an fun run through the trees to join run 52 at Stafelalp which partly makes up for the hill ahead. I keep hoping the restaurant will install a rope tow to encourage custom but, given they have been busy every time we've visited, I don't hold out much hope.
ski holidays
Quote:

The runs merge after the steep uphill section on run 52. The only real uphill section on the Weisse Perl is just outside the Silvana restaurant - a few yards at most

I was assuming finestgreen was referring to the latter - although as you say it is not very long.

I am struggling to remember the uphill bit earlier on 52. However, I don't use it much as I tend to want to do the 54 that I love - and that joins the 51 as the way of heading back to Furi. I am back out there on Friday so I might do the 52 just out of curiosity. Might even use it as an excuse to meet up at the Stafelalp restuarant with the non-skiing wife as there is a winter walk goes right up there.

I think the Schawzsee mountain is under-rated amongst the Zermatt/Cervinia areas, particularly this time of year (it can be rather dark and cold in the mid-winter). As well as the 54 the itinerary runs coming down are great fun.
ski holidays
You know, you might be right, I had assumed the reference was to the short uphill stretch after Stafelalp restaurant just before the junction with 51 (Weisse Perle), which is short, but painful if the aforementioned lunch has just been enjoyed. But of course there is the final slope just by the Silvana, as you rightly mention - safe to say 52 has a couple of 'oddities' to it!
I agree with you that this is an underrated sector, usually quiet and with striking and unusual views of the Matterhorn. Can't wait to get back next week!
ski holidays
JohnMo, scotsgirl, Now you are making me jealous. My skiing season is over as my husband is a keen cyclist and weve swapped our skis for bikes. We had two weeks in Zermatt about three weeks ago and probably had the best combination of snow and sun we've ever had there and we've had some very good times there. We booked the same two weeks for next year.We had lunch in the sun at Stafelalp with "that mountain" in the background and watched the ski tourers coming in. They were stopping off at the outside bar for a cold beer to celebrate their trips. There were a number of walkers so your wife should have some company. The Hornl sector is one of my favorites despite the T-bar. Hope you both have a great time and roll on next season.
latest report
Alastair Pink, Thanks for that Cervinia link. I skied there as a child and loved it, I keep meaning to go there with my OH (really not too far from the 4 Valleys) maybe now would be a good time as its warming up and the snow is thinning! Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy