Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz - Thoughts please

Poster: A snowHead
Considering booking a week here beginning 12th, 13th April - looking for opinions on this resort and a silly question - Should we book??
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
depends how much it is and what expectations you have really. its a good resort area wise, and there should still be some nice pistes around to ride but if your hoping for bottomless powder you're likely to be out of luck!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cracking family resort. Good for ski-in-ski-out. Average night life, and not a bad selection of restaurants, but far from being party central.

It's at 1800m so it'll still be snow-sure for a while yet, but the lower slopes will be getting slushy. Plenty to be had higher up tho, but as said, don't expect much in the way of fresh.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
alangibson73, Heading out at the same time you are thinking of going. Very user friendly resort and great for kids it's my third visit so it must be decent snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've been to the PDS for the last 2 years and love the days we spend in the Avoriaz sector. Loads of variety and it's high so the snow cover should be ok. Spend a lot of time in Lindarets and up towards Mossette and usually head towards Plaine Drainse for lunch and and afternoon ski. Heading back in late afternoon towards Morzine is also a good way to ease into an après ski pint
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Depends who 'we' are and what you're looking for.

Avoriaz is a better example of the French on-mountain resort (i.e. it's not just slabs of soleless grey concreat) but nor does it feel like it has much heart in it. If you want somewhere ski in/out where you can have a reasonably quiet, comfortable family holiday then it's on the money. If you're going with a group of mates looking for some good apres ski, or with your significant other and looking for a range of nice restaurants, etc then you would probably be better off looking at Morzine. Same ski area but down in a real, living village.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
and if you're looking for as much skiing as possible at high altitude (and this is being a very warm spring....) you'd be better off in Tignes or Val Thorens.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
alangibson73, yes book it, I will be out the same week and staying lower down in Chatel. I'll be skiing, I'm not worried snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ditto pam w,
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Actually, yes on second thoughts better go to Tignes or Val Thorens instead along with everyone else who thinks there is no decent skiing to be had in April anywhere but there rolling eyes
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sarah, as I have skied in Les Saisies every mid-April but one since 2002 (the one was when the slopes all over closed early) I am certainly not one of those who "thinks there is no decent skiing to be had in April" except in tignes and Val d'Isere.

We might love our own special places but spring has set in extremely early this year. There was a report on another thread of talk of early closing in Les Gets/Morzine and Avoriaz does get busy when lower areas are closed, or struggling for snow. The same thing happens in Les Saisies when lower parts of the ski area have poor cover. You can roll your eyes all you like but statistically speaking there is likely to be more decent skiing in Tignes or Val Thorens in mid April than in either the Portes du Soleil or the Espace Diamant.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, OP is not asking where to go. OP is asking specifically should he book for Avoriaz on the 12th April. I just answered his question Little Angel
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you ski over into Switzerland watch out for the dung heap next to the big chalet Embarassed
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I suppose I just answered the question differently! Having skied every April since 2002 I can confidently say that it's already like April and I have a horrible feeling that April is going to be like May. I hope I'm completely wrong as I have my daughter and family coming to stay with me on 5 April.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w is right though. If you are thinking of spending a considerable wedge on a ski holiday, you want to book where the best snow is. No-one is saying there won't be snow in Avoriaz, but it might be worth looking at other high resorts too, if you have the opportunity.

I'm sure the OP will have a great time either way.
latest report
Took the plunge and booked the deal we got in Avoriaz. Fingers crossed all will be good.
snow report
alangibson73, well done, have a great time snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy