Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

School Ski Trips

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, just back form a week in the Mountains on our way out at Gatwick and on the way back at Geneva we came across two school ski trips, given the recent comments on taking children out of school, it set me wondering if these trips were taking place in term time, I no longer have children at school but as far as I know its too late for half term and too early for Easter.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There are still lots of term time trips running. Schools put pupils down on attendance as being on a recognised school activity so it doesn't count as an absence.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My son went on his first school ski trip two weeks following the half term break.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don't think the schools will fine you if your child is not in school because of a school trip. That is educational!! My sons school has a ski trip leaving on the last Friday of this term. By coincidence, the day that we are taking my son out for a family ski-trip. He will be marked as unauthorized, while his peers on the trip will not.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yup - the day after we were advised by letter, that our son's absence on our family ski trip would be unauthorised, his school left for THEIR ski trip - 10 days before they broke up for Christmas
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
My school ski trips were always during term time and my 15-year-old nephew has recently been on one during term-time too. However, as with mine, there were several lessons and supervised study/homework sessions throughout the week, so it's not just a jolly.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This does seem absolutely crazy. My teacher son in law did quite a few school ski trips before he got married and had kids of his own and was unwilling to give up his holiday - they were always at half term. Taking a coach load of kids to Italy at half term can be described as a "jolly" only somebody without the slightest imagination. wink A parent who takes their child out of school for a ski trip the same week as the school trip could put up a jolly magnificent defence if fined, and taken to court for not paying. But I bet he wouldn't be fined. wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We just got the letter for my boys school ski trip for next year. I now just have to persuade the wife that we should go skiing that week with our two. As you say I can't believe we would be fined. The only issue is that our youngest will be in her first year at the school and her year is unaffected. It is a crazy situation.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's not a 'ski trip' anymore - it's a 'snowsports course', therefore it's of educational merit & not a holiday! It's also cheaper in term time. Just like a holiday.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
radar, daughters school always has their ski trip and other foreign trips during term time. But the school down the road has changed their policy on the ski trip and it is now in half term, so to save cost it is a bus trip rather than flying. Tough from newcastle!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, taking a group skiing can never be seen as a jolly at anytime. There is a 24 hour responsibility for an 8 day period. It can be seen as very enjoyable if the students are all well behaved and of course no injuries! Trips whether ski, music, science, activities weeks are all educational.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
1969jma wrote:
... Trips whether ski, music, science, activities weeks are all educational.

Is it less educational if I take my son on the same ski trip, rather than the school?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Is it less educational if I take my son on the same ski trip, rather than the school?

Probably not, but it's not considered to be a school activity if he's not with the school.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have heard that you are only likely to get fined if the school actually reports it to the welfare officer, and the welfare officer decides to follow it up. If you go the same week as the school's own trip it seems unlikely that the school would feel they could report you. Furthermore, the welfare officers should be more interested in the habitual absentees rather than those who are absent for one week and otherwise have excellent attendance records. Assuming of course that if you are contemplating taking children out to go on holiday they do usually have exemplary attendance, the welfare officer probably won't bother to follow your case up.
We took our kids out every year until the eldest went into year 9, and the younger started year 7 at a private school. For the two years after that our eldest got the 100% attendance award, so we felt we were hardly jepardising their education. And their GCSE results went on to show that we weren't! But obviously this was a few years ago, and I'm not sure what I'd do with today's rules.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ringingmaster, maybe not less educational, but probably more selfish. I'm sure most kids would have more fun in dorms and ski lessons with their classmates than with their mum and dad.
latest report
I think more learning takes places away from the family trip but it's not worth going into the depths of that.

At present if a child's attendance was over 94% it wouldn't be chased! just graded as unauthorised holiday.

I have heard an interesting scenario. Family saves £700 by going on holiday in school term, school fines them over £800. A fine of £60 per parent then it wasn't paid on time as family disputed and ended up coughing up further fees.

In addition there was another case in the papers last month where family fine £630

If schools are going to fine it should be £1000+ this would prevent most families from travelling (enforcing rules whether we agree or disagree)
snow report
dode wrote:
ringingmaster, maybe not less educational, but probably more selfish. I'm sure most kids would have more fun in dorms and ski lessons with their classmates than with their mum and dad.

We give them the choice. So far they choose family as they get to do exciting off-piste. I suspect that may change as they get older. Happy
ski holidays
ringingmaster, enjoy it whilst it lasts Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy