Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pax reclaims 100% back from TO after late cancellation

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03xzs1l

A Money Box listener had to cancel their holiday with less than two weeks notice when his wife became ill suddenly. By taking snapshots of their web pages, he managed to prove that Thomson Holidays had resold or returned the flights and the hotel room. The county court deemed that the 100% late cancellation fee in Thomson's terms and conditions did not reflect the true cost of the cancellation and were deemed unfair. Consequently he was awarded £2256, the full cost of the holiday, plus court fees.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Or just buy decent annual travel insurance which pays out in these circumstances
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
But that would be unjust: you'd simply be splitting profit for Thomson across all the premiums paid. Why let them get away with gouging people like that? Plus you'd be down the premium, which is clearly unnecessary as it's basically a scam.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
why is it 'unfair'? It's in the terms and conditions that you agree to when you buy the holiday. It would only be unfair if the t's and c's explicitly said "100% fee UNLESS we can resell the rooms" (which they may well have done otherwise the courts would not have any right to change the contract - and the BBC's reporting may well be completely wrong, as per.)
Why do people feel they can enter into a contract and then complain when it's enforced? Puzzled
Mind you the courts keep making rediculous rulings about holiday delays and compensation.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
because it is not a negotiated contract - it's a "take it or leave it" clause (and probably in fine print). There are protections for customers against unfair terms. Plus, Thomson should not be making a profit out of the fact that someone got ill and they can now re-sell the holiday.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
boardiac, doesnt the buyer make the offer? and the seller accepts or refuses
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I believe it was this bit of law that he used:

http://www.oft.gov.uk/about-the-oft/legal-powers/legal/unfair-terms/guidance
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
alexl, unfair terms are unfair terms. Also, the principals regarding cancellations seem well established and cover a range of industries - not just holidays.

It also seems very fair to me ... holiday company's loss is mitigated by a subsequent booking, therefore they should have a duty to mitigate the loss of the customer who cancelled.

I work in live music (live bands / concerts, etc.) and exactly the same principals/law applies if a band booking is cancelled. (Band under duty to to find alternative engagement - if they can = no cancellation fee is due / if they can't find one, client pays cancellation fee).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Having spent 25 years in the motor industry, I can tell you that a dealer's chances of keeping a customer's deposit who has cancelled an order for a car are pretty much zero, even if it's a special order. Judge just says "you can sell the car to someone else to cover your costs so you haven't lost anything".

Using the same logic, if a TO has sold the same holiday twice, he's making double profit from one holiday so it is unfair on the first consumer who cancelled. Actually, considerably more than double profit because the first sale will now have a 100% margin. Only if the TO can prove that he could not re-sell the flights and accommodation having made a fair attempt, does he have an ethical case for keeping the money.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Raceplate and legal.

hobbiteater it doesn't matter - the terms and conditions are set by the "seller" (here, Thomson) and are not negotiable. They are in a stronger position than the customer, and "force" the customer to accept their Ts and Cs (or not go on the holiday - i.e. take it or leave it).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hobbiteater wrote:
boardiac, doesnt the buyer make the offer? and the seller accepts or refuses

No.

The seller makes the offer, on a "take it or leave it" basis.

And the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts legislation was enacted because a business is almost always in the position of strength when it comes to contracts with consumers, and it was felt they should be able to use that position of strength to impose terms which are unfair.

And so far as this particular case is concerned, I imagine the court relied on the following clause from the list of terms in the regulations which would normally be considered unfair:

"(e)requiring any consumer who fails to fulfil his obligation to pay a disproportionately high sum in compensation;"
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

"(e)requiring any consumer who fails to fulfil his obligation to pay a disproportionately high sum in compensation;"

In addition to this, English law provides that the innocent party (in this case the holiday company) has a legal duty to minimise the loss of the other party ("mitigation of losses"). By re-selling the holiday (presumably at the same price as the original buyer did) then the loss is mitigated and no cancellation fee would legally be required.

Alternatively, if they had managed to re-sell the holiday, but only at a lower price, then then the other party would in theory be liable for the shortfall.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

hobbiteater it doesn't matter - the terms and conditions are set by the "seller" (here, Thomson) and are not negotiable. They are in a stronger position than the customer, and "force" the customer to accept their Ts and Cs (or not go on the holiday - i.e. take it or leave it).
I don't quite see why Thomson would be in a stronger position than the customer. Neither party is forced to go through with the deal and they certainly don't 'force' the customer to accept the Ts and Cs. They are simply part of what the customer is buying. If he doesn't like them he can go elsewhere.

However, I do think it is right that the customer mentioned above managed to reclaim his holiday cost, although I am surprised that the TO was not allowed to offset the expenses of re-marketing the holiday.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I am surprised that the TO was not allowed to offset the expenses of re-marketing the holiday.

agreed - although it was probably just a matter of adjusting availability on their website - so prob very little cost involved.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
abj,
Quote:

agreed - although it was probably just a matter of adjusting availability on their website - so prob very little cost involved.

Indeed, although arguable the cost of selling that holiday is the same as selling each and every holiday. i.e Take total sales, marketing and admin costs, divide by holidays sold to find a unit cost and then deduct that from the compensation.

Where it gets complicated is when the TO resells the exact holiday in question but reasonably argues that the second punter would quite possible have bought a different holiday had that particular one not been available. i.e. they would have sold two holidays but now they ended up selling the same one twice.
latest report
As was said in an earlier post cost of cancellation is normally covered by holiday insurance so not sure why this route was not pursued.

Not fair to find a unit cost as holidays vary so much and difficult to compare like with like as close to time of holiday price of holiday likely to be discounted to make sure holiday sold and if flights are scheduled costs for tour operators go up massively.
snow conditions
Guyrhofen wrote:
As was said in an earlier post cost of cancellation is normally covered by holiday insurance so not sure why this route was not pursued.

Well the people with the unfair contract are would still make money, except your way they'd be taking a little from all insured people.

That seems much less just than the actual outcome, which will benefit everyone. There should be fewer unfair contracts from tour operators in the future, and ultimately lower insurance premiums. I self insure, but I still like to see justice done, especially against people with small print.
snow report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
Quote:

I don't quite see why Thomson would be in a stronger position than the customer.

A business sets the T&C for transactions with consumers, and they are generally set on a "take it or leave it" basis - the consumer has little to no chance of getting any terms they don't like changed, while the business has set them exactly as they like.

Almost all consumer law is based on the premise that in transactions between businesses and consumers, the business is always in a much stronger position WRT setting of terms.

Quote:

Neither party is forced to go through with the deal and they certainly don't 'force' the customer to accept the Ts and Cs. They are simply part of what the customer is buying. If he doesn't like them he can go elsewhere.

Usually he has little realistic choice, if he wants the holiday.

Quote:

However, I do think it is right that the customer mentioned above managed to reclaim his holiday cost, although I am surprised that the TO was not allowed to offset the expenses of re-marketing the holiday.

That will be due to a feature of the way that law works. The court will not have had the power to set an amount of compensation the consumer should have paid, nor to insert an alternative clause into the contract. It only had the power here to decide whether the term was "fair" or not, and strike it out completely if it wasn't.
snow report
Tour Operators will be pleased that Small Claims judgements are not precedement setting although they can be persausive. kat.ryb, the customer may have had travel insurance but if the wifes condition was pre-existing then they would not have been able to claim.

The big TOs have been getting away with unfair T&Cs for years. I almost ended up in the Small Claims Court with Thomas Cook after they shifted my flight to Turkey by around 4 hours. This meant that a flight that was already borderline acceptable to me (c.01:00 arrival back in to Manchester), became a 05:00 arrival. The Package Tour regulations talk about "reasonable" changes to flight time but do not define what reasonable is. TC say in their T&Cs that 12 hours is reasonable. I disagrred with their view.

After getting nowhere with TC Customer Service I sent a "Notice before action" to the CEO and Group Legal Director stating my intention to take the case to court.Shortly after I received a letter saying thaey stood by their T&Cs but given my intention to pursue legal action they would refund my deposit. Laughing

Hopefully whatever government department takes over the OFT work in this area will look at the T&Cs and take some enforcement action. Afterall there are many small business in the hospitality sector whose T&Cs state they deposits/payments are non-refundable unless they manage to resell the holiday/accomodation. I wrote a set of T&Cs for my mother-in-law for her holiday cottage that stated that if the accomodation could be resold then the customer would receive a refund less £25 admin charge and any difference between the original price paid and the price the holiday was then sold at.

However, the issue with big TOs is around proving/disproving that they have been able to resell. For example, if a hotel/flight/cruise was sold out and they then remarketed the holiday and sold it, then there is little argument that they were not out of pocket and therefore a full refund less any reasonable admin charge should be made. However, if the holiday was not sold out but the TO sold 3 more after the customer cancelled but they still had inventory left, then then a straightforward refund would be difficult to justify. The only reasonable course of action would be for the TO to have some sort of formula that allowed for lost proft and any costs that they could not recover from their suppliers and deduct these from the amount due back to the customer.

Ultimatley, if TOs were forced to review their T&Cs then all our holidays would increase in price as the business models will include an assumption each year of an amount that will be generated from various cancellation fees. If this income reduces then it will have to be found somewhere else, i.e. in the price of the holiday.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 19-03-14 15:01; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I think there may be a little more to this than meets the eye. If the wife ha a pre-existing condition then she should have declared it and paid an excess. It is pretty much possible to get insurance for anything but at a price, its not a question of is it possible it is more a question of how much. Most conditiions can be covered with caveats about exacerbations after purchase and before travel most peope apart from the imminentlyt terminally ill can get cover. I am not sure how the traveller could have proved that the T/O had resold the holiday. The website may have been showing full capacity but thi could be becaue someone (the traveller) had already paid for the holiday. One might expected the T?O to have got a small refund on any foop element of the unused holiday. The Ts and Cs are quite clear and we enter into contracts at our peril and we should read our insurance cover very carefully too. I would have expected the T/O to make it a requirement of the booking that the traveller has adequate insurance cover and demonstrates this.

Small Claims Court are something of a lottery, back in my professional days as a lawyer I have won cases where the judge clearly did not really understand the facts but found in my favour anyway through some convoluted thought process - I only ever fought cases for my employer where it was absolutely clear we were in the right, otherwise the whole process is time wasting and costly. As defendant you get no costs even if you win and you end up wasting a day travelling to some far flung part of the British Isles. The point of principle has to be worth the fight! I fully apopreciate that for a "punter" a holiday costing circa £2,500 is worth fighting for and I think he was very lucky and the lawyer for the T/O possibly not as competent as they might have been.
snow report
FFIRMIN wrote:
I think there may be a little more to this than meets the eye.

Agreed. I'd also be interested to hear if the TO even tried to defend the action. There have been a few Small Claims "victories" against Ryanair that Ryanair have claimed latterly they chose not to defend on the grounds of cost or that they were unaware of the case until judgement was passed. If it was the latter then they could have the judgement set aside but then they get in to the "is the cost worth it" side of the argument.
snow report
You would have thought Thomson had decent lawyers as this is quite an important principle at stake

My understanding is that it is a requirement of terms and conditions that customers have adequate insurance so still not sure why a claim wasn't made rather than through the courts, maybe the insurers refused to pay out.

As for Thomson being able to resell the holiday I have my doubts whether it would have been like for like. As it was a late cancellation I imagine the T/O would have had to discount the price to get a sale and they often sell at a loss to get bums on seats or had profit reduced by increased flight costs.

Interesting case and surprised about the outcome.
latest report
Guyrhofen wrote:
My understanding is that it is a requirement of terms and conditions that customers have adequate insurance so still not sure why a claim wasn't made rather than through the courts, maybe the insurers refused to pay out.

The T&C requirement normally relates to medical/repatriation insurance while the customer is out the country. It is there because TOs can, in certain cases, be liable.

Guyrhofen wrote:
As for Thomson being able to resell the holiday I have my doubts whether it would have been like for like. As it was a late cancellation I imagine the T/O would have had to discount the price to get a sale and they often sell at a loss to get bums on seats or had profit reduced by increased flight costs.

Yup. And is the point I made above. This is why I suspect that Thomsons may not have defended the action.
snow conditions
Guyrhofen wrote:

Interesting case and surprised about the outcome.

I'm not surprised at the outcome, because the term as it stands is clearly (to me) "unfair" under the meaning of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations.

And as I said above, when cases are brought under that legislation, the court only has two choices - it can decide the term is fair, and should stand, or it can decide the term is unfair, in which case it has to be discarded in its entirety.

The court does not have the power to substitute a different clause which would be fair, such as those suggested above.

So the consumer in this case was always going to either get everything back or nothing.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy