Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

HOW STEEP IS KANDAHAR ST ANTON

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone measured or know how steep the Kandahar Black run is at St Anton ? Coming down it the right hand side is much steeper than the left so both would be great if poss .
Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
brnttptr, it's not very steep. I'm not even sure that it qualifies as a black.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As blacks go, it's not steep. In truth I would say it's no more than red steep. Sorry
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not steep; but steep enough to embarrass a few people who think they know what they are doing! Can be a nightmare if Happy valley is closed and so everyone skis down it!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is it black? Well there's a surprise! wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have skied it many times and am only interested to know if somebody has measured the slope because a friend told me it was 35' which I thought was a bit too steep for it.

I guess everyone has a different perception of steepness which will also vary with conditions .

I have only ever measured one slope on a Black run at a small resort and it was 30' and that seemed similar to Kandahar.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I did rough measurement on it today with ski poles. I would put steepest part at no more than 22.5 degrees (I.e. half of 45 degrees).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
peanuthead Thanks for that .

I used a slope meter to measure the black at my local resort in about six places and it was 30 degrees .

22.5 degrees seems a bit low for Khandahar especially at the steepest part (right hand side) as 22.5 degrees seems more like an easy red slope or even blue.
or have I got it wrong ? 22.5degrees = aprox 40% so I wonder if my friend who said degrees meant % ?

I also thought ,very broadly speaking ,most blacks were min 28 degrees and reds 22-28 degrees .
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
brnttptr, my measurement was quite rough.

What is your local resort and which black run was 30 degrees?

I am open to correction but my understanding is 28 degrees is pretty steep for a black, most are less steep. I think even Face in Val d'Isere is barely over 30 degrees at its steepest.

Aside, when you inspect Kandahar from the Zammermoos chairlift, even the steepest part looks downright flat!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I don't think 28 deg is steep for a black - I'd have thought that's on the low side for a black (but also open to correction). I just returned from Mayrhofen, and spent a bit of time yesterday morning on Harakiri - allegedly the steepest pisted run in Austria (at 78% - about 38-39 degrees). It is certainly one of the steepest runs I've ever done. This is a pretty fair reflection of what that's like (not me in the pic, btw):

as you can see it flattens out ever so slightly towards the bottom of the pic, and after the top 1/2 it's no more than a steep-ish red at most.

Anyway, there are no absolute figures for classifying green/blue/red/black - resorts will look at their slopes and give them various relative gradings, to cater for different tastes. That is, there will usually be some blues, some reds and some blacks in each resort, but what qualifies as blue in Cham or at the bottom of Val d'Isere may well be a red in Austria; many Cham reds would be blacks in many other resorts.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 18-03-14 12:20; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hemel hempstead indoor slope is my idea of a blue and that is 15º (top half) becoming 10º (bottom half). Only a small proportion of blacks get as steep as 30º (The good ski guide used to mention if any piste in a resort was over 30º and only a few resorts had one - except in America where double black diamonds are more frequently)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think Hemel is more a (flattish) green. Perhaps that just shows how subjective piste ratings are..?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
boardiac, I am surprised. You have to imagine it continuing for much further. I cannot imagine a green slope where you can set up substantial jumps as they do at Hemel. OK, perhaps 10º could possibly be a green, but not 15º.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frequently very tough - enormous cut up moguls and they seem to go on forever, its not the steepness thats the problem! That is pretty much true of most of the well known blacks in St Anton - often tough to get into then mogulled to hell
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
boardiac Great photo of Hari-kiri . I think photos from the side of the slope give a much better idea of steepness.

Peanuthead
I posted originally just to try to get an idea of relative steepness of a small black run in South Tyrol which I measured at 30 degrees (its one slope so easy to measure ) and Khandahar which I thought was similar. (I would have measured Khandahar but someone pinched my slope meter ).

I have always thought Khandahar was only the steep part i.e. this part https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=kandahar+st+anton&rlz=1C1NIKB_enGB509GB538&espv=210&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=RpIqU7fjH5KY0QWXioDgAg&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAg&biw=1920&bih=947#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=J1GC2LURIWcw_M%253A%3Bp56DE7KbqM0_2M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.wintersportoostenrijkgids.nl%252Fimages%252Fresized%252Fimages%252Fstories%252Fski-arlberg%252Fsankt-anton-am-arlberg-kandahar-afdaling_300_300.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.wintersportoostenrijkgids.nl%252Fvorarlberg%252Fsankt-anton-am-arlberg.html%3B300%3B300

(sorry no idea how to upload it)

......but after your comments I looked at the piste map and see it goes up to Galzigbahn . Clearly this top part is not steep and highlights one of the problems of measuring slopes. If you take the average of the whole run it becomes
much lower in terms of degrees.

Some resorts that advertise very steep slopes like Harikiri are only taking the steepest parts of the run ,which for me is fine because that's the information I want to know .

Completely agree with FFIRMIN and fully understand slope steepness is only one factor in how difficult any run is .
ski holidays
just tried the link above .........and you need to give it 10 secs to load !
latest report
\
snow report
brnttptr, honestly I've skied many blacks in many resorts and Kandahar definitely not in steeper half. Maybe your local 30 degree slopes isn't really 30 degrees?

I estimated 22.5 degrees at steepest section, not flat top section.

Try Grimentz / Zinal for blacks. There are some genuinely 30 degree slopes there and they make Kandahar seem positively blue
snow report
peanuthead I am not saying that Khandahar is steep but just trying to get a fix on the slope level .

I think 22.5 degrees is too low for any black .

If 22.5 degrees is the steepest section of Khandahar (given that going the other way Harikiri is 38 degrees) what would the easiest blue in St Anton be ?

I would love to try any slope at the moment but am just about to have a knee replacement ! Very Happy
snow conditions
brnttptr, the easiest blue in St Anton would be about a degree or two less steep than Kandahar. The blues in St Anton are about the steepest blues there are, whereas the blacks are not particularly steep compared to other blacks.
snow conditions
Quote:

Some resorts that advertise very steep slopes like Harikiri are only taking the steepest parts of the run ,which for me is fine because that's the information I want to know .

If advertising 'steepness' of a piste then it makes sense to me to base it on the steepest part. After all you have to be capable of getting down that steep part to be be capable of skiing (or side slipping) the whole piste.
However I don't believe steepness alone is an accurate measure of difficulty. I was in Mayrhofen in Jan and skied Harakiri five times in various snow conditions (fresh to very icy) and never found it difficult or particulary scary. Yeah it's pretty steep but there are no bumps, not a lot to smash my unhelmeted head off and pretty wide with nowhere to plummet to my death at either edge of the piste.

Lots of fun though Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy