Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowpluse and Mammut airbag safety recall/inspection.

Poster: A snowHead
Below is a link to the Mammut site regarding a possible fault on Mammut and Snowpluse airbags from the 11/12 and 12/13 seasons. If you have one take a look, it's an important safety issue.

http://www.mammut.ch/airbags_aufruf_zur_kontrolle.html
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jbob, thanks for the link.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jbob, thanks for the heads up.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Humm.. Got the very one they are recalling.
Not a great feeling knowing that you have been skiing for the last two years without the protection that is so readily sold on paranoia and to an extent real fears (inflated (!) by mammuts own promo videos) only to find that you've dropped a big fat monkey on a bag that really only serves to make you look like a complete monkey.
I guess we will find out next the barryvox is about as useful as the explosive detectors sold in Iraq.
Evil or Very Mad knobs
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Super Steezy, checked mine it looked ok, I also asked the lads in the Mammut shop in Chamonix to have a look, they also said it was fine. They were very helpful. It's not a recall, the notice advises in the first instance to check it yourself.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
hmm, mine appears ok I think...althought I can see a little bit of thread, what do folks reckon??

latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looks good to me, but that's coming from someone with engineering experience rather than ever having handled a Mammut bag. Wouldn't want to give a definitive answer without actually examining the connection. Always difficult with safety equipment - particularly when its impossible/inconvenient to perform operational test.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
When I did my preseason gear check I did come across the issue high lighted on the Mammut web site, that being the thread on the cranked arm of the venturi valve still needed three or four turns. I really only noticed this because of shredded PTFE tap dangling from the block of the airbag. Still I did tighten the assembly but that is not the point. I bought the bag as a safe guard in the mountain NOT to fill the bag full of hissing air like a circus clown in the event of the pitch ripping out under me. It makes me very angry that these fundamental checks were not carried out on SAFETY equipment before leaving the factory. ABS used to ship with two canisters, one canister to partly check for any defects and to get the feel for the airbag experience. Maybe after this destruction of confidence in Mammut safety products they should at very least offer a test blow at one of their approved centres. After all the ability to fill canisters at Mammut outlets was one of the reasons I went with them as opposed to ABS, just haven't come across any where I ski yet. Do you know if the RAS part is made by snowpulse or made by Mammut under licence?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Super Steezy, swapping an empty cylinder for a full one is 10 euro in Chamonix at the Mammut shop. Livetoski a snowhead is an agent and might advise further. FYI, Mammut bought out snowpluse, I suspect that Mammut have identified the issue as a result of taking them over.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kitenski..that looks like the good example on the website. You'll find that if you try and turn it it will turn the receiving lug/nut in the airbag block if the arm unscrews then it ain't right.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jbob thanks for that but haven't been into Chamonix since last Millenium so am now googling for a Mammut agent as we got 60 of the good stuff coming in this weekend and I want the sense of security (false or otherwise) that wearing an airbag gives me.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Super Steezy, how did you tighten the assembly? Looks like it has another wire connected to it. Mine is actually very loose, can turn through 180 degrees either way
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sounds like you've got a goodie, the assembly/lug/nut should rotate to accommodate movement between the valve and the airbag. The trouble (in my estimation) is when the arm moves in the assembly/nut/lug, then you have to work down the assembly into the netting to get to a recess then turn the arm to reveal a small 2 or 3mm hole which you then insert a pin or such like to stop rotation while tightening the valve arm. From what you have said it doesn't sound like you don't need to go through this rigmarole ...if you do, get Mammut to have a look.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kitenski just retread your Q . What you call the assembly is the Venturi valve, the smaller 'wire' coming from that is connected to the the arming handle in the shoulder and the fixed silver pipe is connected to a plastic block in the back of the airbag, this is the area I have been talking about in my last post. The valve should rotate in the airbag block but not unscrew from it.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've got a BCA, and get my cylinder filled for free at the local paintball place. They had a recall in October due to a potential failure of a circlip, but it's not something that could have been easily tested for at the factory. I agree that such a fundamental check as 'is it all screwed in properly' should be carried out before it leaves the assembly line.
snow report
kitenski, It looks fine, will upload my own snowpulse pic as well after this post, I have used mine for countless demo's over the last 3 years, maybe about 20 pulls to demo the airbags. They should turn in the housing so the cylinder can attach as said above the are able to turn on the pipe to the venturi by about 180 degrees !

This is a inspection rather than a recall, all airbags over the last 3 to 4 years have had a recall, whatever the manufacturer, Super Steezy, your first post on this thread I have to assume was a knee jerk reaction? Your other posts have come across as constructive.

On the Snowpulse come Mammut bags then on the protection range then the risk of the tube becoming un screwed is in my opinion highly unlikely, due to the construction of the housing.

If any one has any worries then contact me or Mammut direct and we will help out.
Oh and feef, if you have your BCA cylinder refilled at a paint ball shop please make sure its dry scuba air ONLY and not just plain old air from paint ball guns! Dry air is fine but some paint ball places use their own compressors which is not recommend for airbag cylinders as the air could freeze in the tubes to the airbags!!!!
snow report
Well I've been in contact with Mammut, they have asked me to post it back to them, as they were not 100% sure and they will then post it onto my hotel in Stuben.

They will re-imburse postage, so fingers crossed it's waiting at the hotel for me in 2 weeks time!!
ski holidays
livetoski, you are right my first reaction was knee jerk but the fact remains that I spent last season and most of this thinking I had a functioning life protection system when in actual fact it was not.

That smarts. That kills trust.

My bag did fulfil all the criteria for a recall, which is now underway due to the professionalism of the guys at the Mammut outlet in Pont St. Martin. I also have a replacement until the bag is returned.

What I have noticed during this episode is the stark difference in approach from the people at Mammut central with their blunt method of dealing with a failure of their own making
"Yes we understand this is an inconvenience for but it is for us too"...!?! You don't f@@@@@@ say!
and the understanding and concern of the people who actually sale the stuff.
You talk of me being more constructive? It is not me who has sold unchecked safety equipment, it is not me who's brand trades on reliability, it is not me who depends on having the bond of trust between its customer and it's personal safety products.
Yes Mammut are dealing with the physical issue but if or when I might have to deploy the bag can I ever fully believe I can depend on it?
ski holidays
My RAS airbag is also in this build date category, and I have just checked it out - easy to check and all OK.

I will keep an eye on that thread in case it moves in the future, but I am not clear if it can unscrew just through movement in use, or was not fully screwed in at the factory for some packs.

Overall, it is a nice pack, well built. (I don' have any connection to the manufacturer or resellers) THey have been very helpful in supplying me a new belt buckle as the 'flat red' one I found would slacken itsself off...they sent me a new 'shaped silver' one FOC.

Super Steezy, you said that you had seen a PTFE item (tap? ) on yours. I would expect the thread to pull down onto a seal washer or O ring.
snow report
lampbus,
The PTFE tape I saw was hanging from the thread that should not be visible.
If you look at kitenski, pic you can just about make out the edge of the PTFE tape that seals the male thread of the arm and the female thread in the small silver coloured collar of the trigger mechanism. I didn't come across any form of washer or O ring when I undid the two pieces while endeavouring to understand how to tighten the joint. I would guess the tape is seal enough for the 30 seconds or so that the joint is under pressure.
The collar is designed to rotate with the arm of the venturibox (the valve the cylinder is screwed into). The problem has been that a number of the bags weren't properly tightened somewhere along the line to the customer. If Mammut were to upgrade this bag the the addition of two slots on the collar to accommodate a spanner would greatly assist in the tightening of these two elements.
Given that Mammut advise a regular check of this connection it would imply that this joint is liable to unscrew, but then making a regular visual check on any part of RAS system would seem prudent.
Interesting to hear about the new buckle as I've had to tie off the tail in order to prevent the buckle constantly undoing.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy