Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Gove Effect

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

and can barely give the first two weeks of January away.

Bet there will be takers this season - our school starts back on Wed 7th and most parents have already worked out that that would be a great weeks sking for only 3-days school missed - well below the trigger for fines in Northants

I'm tempted for a start
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

They are aimed at cutting down on the widespread but low-level absence

foxtrotzulu, so you keep saying, but my reading of the Taylor report is that the rule changes are aimed at those with below 85% attendence. That in my book is no-where near the same as a few days off.

Also worth pointing out that the report by the Government Independent Experts did not recommend these new rules, but a tightening of the existing ones.

But we are never going to agree and we've both said we're not commenting any more and we both still do Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
and he's off to be Chief Whip.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ms Micky Morgan his replacement according to the Beeb : What do her supporters say? Described by the Daily Mail as a protégé of Chancellor George Osborne, her confidence at the dispatch box has won her many fans, although some detractors describe her as "headgirlish".
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Boris wrote:
Quote:

and can barely give the first two weeks of January away.

Bet there will be takers this season - our school starts back on Wed 7th and most parents have already worked out that that would be a great weeks sking for only 3-days school missed - well below the trigger for fines in Northants

I'm tempted for a start

Me too now I have read this, apartment I am looking at is 2300 Euros cheaper that week. WOW.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
No good, back on the 5th, so 5 days missed. Bummer.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hells Bells wrote:
and he's off to be Chief Whip.

Does this mean corporal punishment if you miss school now.
Bloody Tories and their flagellistic upbringing.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
blahblahblah, would you not be OK with 5 days unauthorised absence? That'd be OK in most areas.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, I don't know, 3 would be straightforward, but 5 might be pushing it, my children had over 98% attendance this year so in theory would not be a problem.

The other issue is the holiday is for 2 families, and all parents involved work, so although the saving is worthwhile, using extra holiday after being on holiday has its own complications.

We would only need to book the 2nd off as holiday as the rest of the week is off any way. It is annoying, but such is life.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I knew this would be the place to read about the fresh changes for our beloved Mr Gove. I do wonder what the outcome will be... Whether or not they'll respond to public wishes to return to the previous methods of requesting a family holiday during term time. I realise there are LA policies in place, but not many of them stretch to much more than a bereavement or similar.
I am all for reducing the absenteeism percentage... but that's not to say I condone depriving those who've an excellent attendance record.... as does my boy. 99.5% this year.... never been absent for sickness reasons.

I guess ultimately a discretionary approach is much harder to monitor than a blanket policy.

Would love to see some changes. I even explored the flexible home tutoring route... even that seems to be a series of hoops to jump through and loopholes to find.

All of that said... my son receives a great education... feel very fortunate in that respect. Still might bunk off to save ourselves £2k!! Smile Smile Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The more teaching unions say how they won't miss Gove, the clearer it is why parents needed him to stay........
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Louis, if parents wanted him he wouldn't have been demoted as an electoral liability.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
All the parents I have spoken to today (and all the students) are pleased he's gone.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar wrote:
Louis, if parents wanted him he wouldn't have been demoted as an electoral liability.

I'm not clear it is a demotion.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
achilles, agreed. I'm not sure his profile won't be even higher now than previously.

Incidentally, I think the chances of the new guidelines changing is extremely slim.
snow report
achilles, IMO it undoubtedly is, and I'm sure Gove will consider it so no matter what he and David Cameron say. A sideways move would have been to another Department, although probably not Wales. A promotion would have been the FCO. A non-Cabinet party position is a step down from running a department of state.
ski holidays
He has been demoted, but not as an electoral liability. He's been demoted for his spat with Theresa May. All IMV of course.
ski holidays
laundryman, I'd agree there's an element of that as well. May is pretty ruthless, I'd say.
latest report
rob@rar, I can see your view. Lot of fingers in a lot of pies, though. Depending on Cameron's support, he could be a very powerful force.
snow conditions
achilles, if Cameron had wanted Gove to have his fingers in lots of pies (not a job that the Chief Whip normally does), he would have given him Oliver Letwin's position as policy supremo. Not saying the Chief Whip isn't an important role, but it's not policy driven, it's there to manage business and keep the troops in order. In the dog days of this parliament the troop dragooning might not be too big a job so perhaps Gove will be the Minister for the Today programme, but that's still not in the same league as running a department.
latest report
achilles wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

I'm not clear it is a demotion.

Sounds like they are adopting my local councils policy that if they are crap at their job or even better corrupt promote them.
latest report
Maybe Gove will start fining MPs for not attending parliament!
latest report
Time will tell. He had a hard job taking on a highly unionised profession - and the changes he has made will probably stick for a long time - though I am not clear if they were all beneficial. As for fining parents - maybe they should have been linked to tax code if they were to have been effective. Something that the new minister could look at Toofy Grin

Not at all sure he is the right man for Tory front of house - but no one can cause him of being an Old Etonion. He did get to Oxford via an independent school - but that was only after he had won a scholarship.
snow conditions
I wish those in Government involved with education would talk to the best teachers in all standards of schools and take advice from the coal face. Good teachers are leaving in droves and it will shortly be impossible to get teachers to take posts in schools where the kids are from the lower socio-economic areas.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, +1
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, +2

Those who can, teach. Those who can not, tell teachers how to teach. Razz
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, +3.
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, as far as I can tell the Gov't has spent half it's time talking to these super heads and wizard head teachers e.g Charlie Taylor.. The trouble is they are still faced with the unions and the govt probably feel that this is a battle that needs to be had and that the unions needs to be crushed.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
foxtrotzulu, the superheads are not the ones they should be talking to IMO. They are good at running schools not at teaching children.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy