Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Anton High Season till 10 Jan?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are a few families looking to go first week of January next year, especially as it still falls in our school holiday, but also to get off season rates.
I enquired at aparthotel Anton few days ago and this was initial reply for 3 to 10 Jan

the prices we will fix next week.
Pirces this year are:
4 Persons Apartment euro 398,- per day (next year +ca. 2-3%) incl. using our wellness facilities, parking, 1x cleaning per week, final cleaning, excl. tax, breakfast.
6 Persons Apartment euro 575,- per day (next year +ca. 2-3%) incl. using our wellness facilities, parking, 1x cleaning per week, final cleaning, excl. tax, breakfast.
Penthouse euro 630,- per day (next year +ca. 2-3%) incl. using our wellness facilities, parking, 1x cleaning per week, final cleaning, excl. tax, breakfast.

Today received this...

now we fixed the rates as following:
Highseason until 10th Jan. 2015 with rates of
4 Persons Apartment euro 493,- per day incl. using our wellness facilities, parking, 1x cleaning per week, final cleaning, excl. tax, breakfast.
6 Persons Apartment euro 720,- per day incl. using our wellness facilities, parking, 1x cleaning per week, final cleaning, excl. tax, breakfast.
Penthouse euro 785,- per day incl. using our wellness facilities, parking, 1x cleaning per week, final cleaning, excl. tax, breakfast

Unfortunately considerably adds to already expensive holiday and really not in our families budgets.

Sooo will most places do high season until 10 Jan or is this an exception?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Russian influence is my guess, that week is their New Year and resorts are catching on. That week used to be deader than a dead thing.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As above, the week after New Year there are considerably more Russians here in Anton than any other week of the season.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Better look for a quieter area to stay then, and maybe bring our own vodka.. Little Angel
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I guess it's only going to be the case at resorts which attract a large number of Russian visitors for their New Year. My guess would be that other than the well known more up market resorts (St Anton, Zermatt, Courchevel, etc) it will be a quiet and hence relatively cheap week. I was in Les Deux Alpes that week this year and although there were a fair few Russians around it was still pretty quiet.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
lizski, have you tried Stuben? Good for a queiter place to stay and cheaper in the main than st Anton. Based ourselves there as a couple of families 5 years ago or so.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looking at some other options and sent some enquiries. Have always wanted to ski st Anton, and some friends already going.

Will slopes be very busy too or mostly town and apres?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We were there that week this year. Yes..it was busy, including the slopes which felt very crowded and quickly became bumpy in many places. I thought the main slopes above the village on the Galzig side felt more crowded that the 3V in a busy week. We did an off piste course so were away from the masses for most of the time, but as a place for on piste skiers it didn't really float my boat. I came to the conclusion that it would not be very nice for nervous intermediates or beginners. Stuben was much quieter by comparison, and I think it is possible to get away from the crowds, but in no way did the ski area feel like the old days of the first week after New year.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We were there this January for the second and probably last time. Unless the snow is fantastic, just don't think it is good enough to justify the prices.

If you're set on Austria, I prefer Saalbach Hinterglemm (next year will be visit no 3) or Obergurgl (especially when compared to Soldensky down the road.) The place I'd most like to go back to is Montafon - no massive groups of one nationality (not really on to's map), varied runs that are well maintained. Plenty for every ability level - especially exciting is the Hochjoch (sp?) viewing platform and ski tunnel (see videos on montafon website). Amazing off-piste but good baby slopes.

if you are looking for a well designed, rather than trad apartment (as shallow architects, we shudder at the thought of chintz), try Monfafon Chalets. It is half board and you walk down a snowy lane or get collected to eat in the hotel that owns the apartments (sounds weird but works, especially as the lack of light pollution means an amazing sky) or they deliver your food to the apartment. Seem to recall paying less than €3 for a large beer 3 years ago, slighting less than St Anton! We flew to Zurich then drove - less than 2 hours I think. You need snow chains or you risk not getting there.

But please don't tell everybody......
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
What a dilemma. Have always thought of st Anton as one for the list, and thought early Jan would be ideal as some friends already planning to go.
Really not too keen on too busy or too expensive. (Loved Arabba this year - although during midterm it was not too busy, and even in South African rands great value.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I should probably declare that I ride a single plank not two, which change the impression of a resort. With poor snow in St Anton, it can be more of a walking than snowboarding holiday. We've been twice - just not worth the third attempt. Many, many people love it.

Have done Mayrhofen, Saalbach, Montafon, Schladming, Kitzbuhel and Obergurgl in Austria and think they would all be above St A for me - except Mayrhofen at half term which is total and utter brunken Brit and Dutch madness. In a quiet week it is a very good option and cheapish.

A week or two in the snow always beats work, wherever you end up! Enjoy your dilema....
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jj72, Montafon looks very interesting especially beautiful chalet - but a bit confused- are all areas linked and is the ski area size comparable to eg. Saalbach?
Spoiled by size of Dolomites now, but Saalbach size will be more than enough for a week.
Wont hold single plank against you - small part of our group board, and I always feel sorry for them on flats and lend a pole. Funnily enough the guy who booked first went boarding there this year over half term.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes it's well linked - i'm not sure how the km's of piste stats compare and it's not a circuit like Saalbach . To get one end to the other and back is a good days riding (in fact a bit of a rush). We were a group of 4 advanced riders plus me bringing up the rear and we could easily have had fun for more than a week. We were lucky with the snow - tons before we arrived and a massive dump midweek. Spent the second half of the week lapping chairs in knee deep powder worrying about whether we'd get the car out of the village. Ahhh happy days!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was in St. Anton this Jan 5-12th, during Russian NY, and it didn't seem to be that busy, certainly no busier than another week later, Feb 1st-8th.
I did notice though that the Arlberg lift pass did not have a low and high season differential this winter as they have done in previous winters. This could be Russian NY related. Previously low season prices were offered from early Jan after New Year to 31st Jan., I suppose if the Russian NY was included in the main Christmas- NY period then the high season would be extended and it would only leave a three week window for a low season, so the lift company thought to "hell with it" and let's generate more Euros.
Last winter: 7 days adult l/s (7/1-25/1/13) 245 Euros, h/s 257 Euros. 2013/14 Winter 7 days adult 265 Euros.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
davidthornton, I was there then too and agree with you. The New Year week before was much busier. I was also there over last weekend and that was busier than 5 - 12 Jan.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy