Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cost of driving to Val Thorens from London

Poster: A snowHead
Any ideas?

One people carrier carrying 5 people and lots of luggage!

How much are the tolls and likely estimate for fuel if anyone has done it...?

Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Diesel, petrol, roofbox???? All will have an impact on your costs.

Try this link as it gives an estimate of both fuel costs and tolls:-

http://tinyurl.com/letmedoitforyou
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
.. plus the cost of getting across the channel.

You then probably need to double is as I expect you'll be coming back too...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Assuming you go Calais - Reims - Lyon - Chambery route: €161.80 for return trip

Based on invoice for Tag on last trip

Fuel depends on MPG
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Including everything for normal fuel economy, £400 return - includes ferry, fuel and tolls. You can cut the cost a bit by avoiding the toll roads, but that can make the journey significantly longer.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
As above. Almost exactly £400
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks guys, just wanted an approx idea. £400 +/- sounds good.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hawko, worth bearing in mind the hidden costs - if you don't have snowchains you will need them, and you need spare bulbs for France, GB sticker, warning triangle etc. These aren't expensive but worth considering if you've not done it before.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
and you will put a lot of mileage on your car, which definitely has a cost! Depending on where you are staying, and the weather, you might need to pay for parking too. And depending on timing, an overnight hotel.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
You also need to consider the extra cost of additional insurance premium for driving in Europe and European breakdown cover, maybe even the cost of an overnight stop if you don't fancy doing the journey in one go.
Don't think anybody has mentioned headlight beam deflectors either.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skichampcouk, my standard insurance and breakdown cover are valid in much of Europe. But I agree there are costs which are often overlooked. I always drive because I go for too long to make renting a car economic - but I don't kid myself it's cheap, even though my car does 50 mpg if I don't cane it.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, My current insurance now provides me with the same cover in Europe as the UK but on my previous policy (direct line) it only covered me for 3rd party cover, I used to have to pay extra if I wanted to take out comprehensive cover for travel in Europe.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Last Easter, parking in Val T's P2 car park for the week cost me approx €60 .
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks everyone. It does seem to add up to a fair bit, all things considered. I think I'll fly.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I normally budget around £320 excluding channel crossing
latest report
Cost me £150 for the tunnel return subsidised with tesco clubcard, £200ish in Fuel, plus the tolls but still waiting on the Tag payment. To the Swiss alps, so we also had 40CHF for the motorway vignette, but with enough use we essentially dont add this on. Winter tyres are a big cost if you want to do it properly. I had no problems with them on on the mountain roads to Saas Fee in a 3l rear wheel drive automatic beemer, which isnt the most suitable car for snow driving if i'm honest, but we've never been stuck. I use them in the UK and we do 2-3 trips out a year now so I dont see it as a cost of the trip per se, but t can add a fair whack to a one off trip, same with chains.

For us compared to flying, at Christmas, 3 people we'd fly, 4 we'd drive. At feb half term, even for a couple it works out cheaper to drive... Plus you dont have to faff with packing, pay for ski carriage, get your skis left at your home airport, get a transfer bus/train/taxi. Depends on your travel priorities I suppose
latest report
We're off again over pre-Easter: this will be the third trip to the Alps this winter, and self-drive is definitely the best way. It's less to do with the actual costs of getting there, but the flexibility if gives you once you are there: you can stock up with supplies the valley, choose which nights you eat in or out, and generally adjust your own itinerary rather that getting one imposed by a tour operator.
latest report
With a family of 4, and sometimes one of the kids' friends, and company paid fuel in a company car, we always drive! We stayed in a chalet a few years back and some of the other guests asked us why we drove, when we told them we'd got 5 people to Chamonix and back for £300 they stopped querying it!
Plus if value for money from a week's holiday is more important than the actual final bill, if you drive you can get 7.5-8 days skiing instead of 6 by driving down over Friday night, then skiing most of the last Saturday as well and staying somewhere en route home. It adds 2 days to the lift pass and the hotel cost, but you get up to a third more skiing.
However, we are about to fly to spend a week staying in the chalet that our son is running this winter, because the Inghams reduction for self drive is almost non-existent, so as you are paying for the flight anyway, you might as well use it.
snow conditions
Tesco club points certainly save on the tunnel. We tend to pick early morning trains as they are the cheapest. They have made it easier to swap points for your train now. I think last Christmas it only cost us £45 plus tesco points. I dont think there is an upper limit you can exchange.
snow report
Quote:

I dont think there is an upper limit you can exchange.

No, there isn't, I never pay any actual money! I always opt for one of the most expensive crossings on the day, so that if I am early or late I am unlikely to have to pay real money to swap.
snow conditions
Hawko wrote:
Thanks everyone. It does seem to add up to a fair bit, all things considered. I think I'll fly.

It might add up for the first trip, but if you do it yearly then the costs even out.

Plus you have to balance it against the travel at your own pace, no baggage restrictions, no airport queues, being able to stock up for week in valley at lower prices, duty free on the way home, see a bit of France etc

Each to their own of course but I would always drive over flying now
snow report
I'd pretty much echo what others have said (Use Tesco for the crossing, get an extra day skiing etc.) However, we have self-catered the last few times, so driving also gives us the opportunity to take extra food.

e.g. The first night's meal is cooked in UK, frozen, and thaws on the way out. We take a cake, that sort of thing.

A week's breakdown cover is quite expensive, but this year for the first time we've taken a whole year's cover. Since we are back to France on 2 other occasions later in the year I think we'll end ahead.

LR
ski holidays
pam w, skichampcouk, who are you insured with? I'm getting pretty p'd off with the charges my insurer makes for 'foreign use extension' to preserve fully comp cover while abroad.
ski holidays
bobski62, LV for me. Was a good price, too.
snow conditions
Hawko

I'd imagine you'd need to allow for a tank and a half of fuel each way for Val Thorens plus the tolls and the tunnel or ferry.

We also purchased winter tyres and chains. Whilst the winter tyres can also be used in the UK you need to allow for the cost of changing them twice a year if you don't buy extra wheel hubs. There is the additional wear and tear on the car from a long drive to the Alps which is hard to quantify (plus miles on the clock) - not that this has ever put us off driving.

We book overnight hotels each way which is around £100 per night for a family of four in a Novotel plus meals - obviously there are cheaper options eg. formula 1. However we did not pay any extra for car insurance/breakdown cover. I think driving in Europe is covered under our normal policies.

Now we have invested in the winter tyres our costs will be less for future holidays.
snow report
Boris wrote:
duty free on the way home

Showing your age now wink
latest report
bobski62, Saga for me, but you have to be a 'a more mature person' (old git) to benefit from it.
snow conditions
musher, figure of speech - buying booze at a different and lower rate of duty then wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

A week's breakdown cover is quite expensive, but this year for the first time we've taken a whole year's cover.

My normal breakdown cover includes France - no extra for me on either insurance or breakdown cover, and I think that's true of lots of policies (I've never had to pay extra, though I have had to be careful that my insurance covers many weeks each year in France, some allow only limited number of days).
ski holidays
I've drove twice and I've come to the conclusion I will never do it again, I really don't see the advantage and I don't think it costs less to do so anyway. Flying is so cheap these days, I fly out from Liverpool to Geneva Sunday, returning Friday. With pre booked seats, 1 hold bag between us the total cost was £150 for the 2 of us. Granted that's cheaper than I normally pay but if you add up every single £ on the driving v flying debate, there really can't be much in it, and your there much much quicker when flying. The only time it may be cheaper is in a school holiday when flights are more expensive, but then so is the ferry, hotel en route etc.
snow conditions
Ricklovesthepowder, It's very much an individual thing. Flying isn't always cheap, and transfers are always expensive. Some people hate airports, some people hate the long drive. I've done it today - quite enjoyed the journey once the fog cleared. Lovely warm sunny day, very little traffic on the French motorways. I drove across the Jura from just south of Dole down to Geneva - saved tolls and fuel, took very little longer as it's a shorter route. Listened to a couple of excellent audio books. Bought loads of stuff.

Hotels en route aren't more expensive in the school holidays, and if you book in advance neither need the ferries or tunnel be any more expensive.

With four in a car it will generally be cheaper to drive and with several drivers it's not much of a chore (though I do it alone without drama). But I'll be here at least five weeks; if I were coming for just a week, on my own, I would fly and rent a car.
snow report
Just got my Sanef bill for the drive Calais-Grenoble and back: £128.86
ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder, With five people and equipment (especially skis), driving will be cheaper. I've driven to the Alps many times with a roof box and 3 or 4 pairs of skis. Sometimes three of us, sometimes four. Even two might be cheaper Saturday to Saturday if taking skis.
ski holidays
Having just returned from two weeks in Italy I'd probably drive again as I've done it several time in the past however if it was a catered holiday then I'd fly.
latest report
Do not underestimate the value of stopping off in Champagne on the way home and buying a few crates of the good stuff direct from a small manufacturers cellar (or garage, or front room) - the most expensive bottles we could find were 25 euros, a crate of decent stuff was 12 euros a bottle including a tasting session where they talked through their own product and staying overnight in a big old vintage champagne house (70 euros inc mahoosive breakfast)

Same for stopping into supermarket and buying bargain wine, if we'd done the sums we would have bought a lot more of the 2 euro wine we got in Carrefour last year. This year is going to be different. The big UK supermarkets and wine clubs must be making a killing at £5 for a decent bottle of wine.

But we only tend to do this on self catered holidays, where taking a box of useful kitchen stuff and critical ingredients does make a big difference. But we drove out in December and having the car meant we didn't need to catch buses around the Arlberg, going where conditions were best in any given day, while others were stuck with 20-30 mins on the bus to get around.
ski holidays
Quote:

having the car meant we didn't need to catch buses around the Arlberg, going where conditions were best in any given day, while others were stuck with 20-30 mins on the bus to get around.

Mistress Panda, good point. In can often be useful to have a car to visit other areas, or just avoid a big life queue bottleneck. I like the sound of the champagne too - I wouldn't have a clue how to pick a sensible place to go though. Where was your "big old vintage champagne house"?
snow report
Tolls are £142 return exactly wink that's what my bill was that just came in from Calais to Tignes
ski holidays
The Michelin route planner is great for working out fuel costs. You plan your destination as normal but also add fuel type and type of vehicle / engine size etc

It'll also factor in the tolls

http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/
ski holidays
pam w, basically went onto Booking.com and searched in Ay and Epernee. We are staying in La Marotiere on the way back from EoSB this year, but there are quite a few similar places in the area - lots of old money trying to make ends meet.
snow conditions
What's the milage on that trip?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy