Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski boot plastic

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Mr C has very problematic feet and has had several sessions with the nice folks at profeet. The latest attempt to help him involved the purchase of a new pair of Rossi boots the shell of which would then be blown out to accommodate his funny shaped feet.

However, after a week of trying, the guys at profeet have been unable to blow the shells out - the plastic just reverts back to pretty much its original shape.

Mr C took the initiative Shocked and rang up Rossignol. Mr Rossi said that their boots are made with a new plastic. The darker plastic on the boots will stretch just a bit but the clearer plastic will revert to its original shape because of its molecular structure.

This seems to me that this could be a major problem for many people who have adjustments made to their shells. Snow and Rock said all boots are made of this new plastic but Mr Rossi advised Mr C to purchase a different make of boot (said in a very hushed voice wink )

Can anyone recommend a make of boot which a) uses a different type of plastic to Rossignol and b) is a narrow fitting?

The only other alternative is to buy a wider fitting boot and have it foam-injected. Any help will be very gratefully received!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lange Comp Series are a favorites amongst bootfitters - their shells are very tolerant to stretching and blowing.

However - *most* if not *all* boot plastics are thermo plastics, so upon any heat beyond a certain temperature, the shell will revert back to it's last "memory" position.......
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
veeeight wrote:
Lange Comp Series are a favorites amongst bootfitters - their shells are very tolerant to stretching and blowing.

However - *most* if not *all* boot plastics are thermo plastics, so upon any heat beyond a certain temperature, the shell will revert back to it's last "memory" position.......

Have to disagree, would often shy away from the Lange for work reasons. However the low-fit should work ok for narrow feet. Best and easiest plastic to work with has to be Atomic or Salomon, however the commercial boots are not exactally low volume. However the difference maybe in a different choice of liner, Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you veeeight and SMALLZOOKEEPER, I think we're probably veering towards a wider boot and then in-filling with foam injection, but will of course take profeet's advice Little Angel .

Mr C smashed his ankles as a young boy falling off a wall and has severe over pronation and totally flat feet. Profeet's electronic analysis of his pressure points just looked like two planks of wood Very Happy . His inside ankle bones stick out really badly and is made even worse on one foot as he has one leg slightly longer than the other (result of being knocked off his bike also when a boy) so tends to stand at rest with his weight on the shorter leg. (think I should get the upgraded model, reading this! wink )

Don't think the liner will make much difference, he needs more space round his ankle but also has fairly narrow feet. The problem with his current boots is that they are wider than ideal (Salomons) and he claws his toes to compensate, which he only realised whilst skiing with profeet's footbed, as there wasn't enough volume in the boot for him to do this. They have been blown out on quite a few occasions - each skiing holiday seems to involve adjustments so it would be great to have boots that don't hurt!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
He has to go for foam, make sure they do the stretches before he gets injected. Twisted Evil
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Well there you go. I'm a bootfitter, and my favs are Langes to work with - cos I can stretch the hell out of them.

It just shows the differences between one bootfitter and another.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
veeeight wrote:
Well there you go. I'm a bootfitter, and my favs are Langes to work with - cos I can stretch the hell out of them.

It just shows the differences between one bootfitter and another.

Stretches along the 5th display the inconsitstancies with the plastic. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SMALLZOOKEEPER,

How long do you take to do a boot fit Zookeeper and do you use similar technology as profeet?

if so are your prices out there similar to London, cheaper or more expensive!

Just wondering if I can justify a weekend ski trip with visiting you for some new comfy boots!

thanks!

Aidan
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Stretches along the 5th display the inconsitstancies with the plastic.

Lol! If only you could see my Langes. Multi-coloured shades of blue snowHead They have lasted (pardon the pun) well though, no cracks nor tears.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
aidancostello wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER,

How long do you take to do a boot fit Zookeeper and do you use similar technology as profeet?

if so are your prices out there similar to London, cheaper or more expensive!

Just wondering if I can justify a weekend ski trip with visiting you for some new comfy boots!

thanks!

Aidan

We give 1.5 hrs to do complete boots in the height of the season, however it's rarley finished in that time so things back up and get messy. I would give a good 2-3 hours to let us get the best results.

Average price i would guess to be €450. custom footbeds and life guarentee on parts and labour, carried forward by Lockwoods in Leamington Spa and Freeride in Meribel. (subject to conditions).

I don't know if you can justify the trip, we've just had 80cm of Fresh snow and it's still going. Twisted Evil
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I hate fresh snow. You really need to hang it for a couple of weeks to get the flavour out. A bit like perdrixs really. Once you've done that though, it does go very nicely with a rich juniper sauce. You can find a recipe in "DMs low GI Christmas Snow Recipe Book" available in selected bookshops.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well Mr C went along today for another visit - he's going to try with the Salomon XWave 10. They're stretching them out this week and then he's going back next week to have the foam injection. So fingers crossed that'll work. And he's still getting his 20% SCGB discount off the boots even though its past the date so that's even better. Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy