Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs Food & Drink

Poster: A snowHead
views please - Heading out next week and staying in 1950. Have been a few times. Can anyone advise of any rustic good out of the way places to eat that might offer decent home style french food?

thanks! Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Timmy, I live in Les Arcs and am a bit of a foodie. Probably worth paying a little bit more and treating yourself to Beliou La Fume, straight down the gentle blue opposite the Pre St Esprit lift. The small stone building next to the road up to 1950. It's only open for lunch and you'll need to book a few days ahead. 20-25 euros for a main.

It's the only place really on the pistes I know of, except if you go off piste or on the bus to L'Ancolie over Peisey way. Probably the best two restaurants on the mountain
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Rustic home style French food is exactly how I would describe the offering at Blanche Murée. Service is friendly and efficient, the food is good and the prices reasonable. It always seems to have a number of lifties, instructors and pisteurs lunching there. It does get busy so you are best going early or late (or booking). 10-15 € for a main.

It's between 1800 and Peisey, just below and skiers left of the mid station of the transarc. It can be accessed from a red and blue piste.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you fancy an adventure why not ski over to Montalbert to the Forperet in Montalbert for lunch.

http://forperet.com/restaurant/
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks everybody - getting hungry already. Just hope the snow holds up!
Timmy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Snow and Sunshine, Forperet has long featured as a good place to eat.
But last year we stopped there a couple of times and were not impressed at all.
The place seemed to be resting on its laurels: slow service, average food, supermarket deserts.
Has it got back on track this season?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I like La Vache over in Plan Peisey - on the piste by Parchey lift.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
genepi, timmythedog, or further up the hill in Plan Peisey (still ski-in, but you need to come at it from Ecureils or Combe), La Ferme.

As with La Vache don't forget the Parchey lift closes for lunch between 12 and 1, so early stops expecting to get back into the domain easily, are cautioned!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jonpim wrote:
Snow and Sunshine, Forperet has long featured as a good place to eat.
But last year we stopped there a couple of times and were not impressed at all.
The place seemed to be resting on its laurels: slow service, average food, supermarket deserts.
Has it got back on track this season?

We lunched there in Dec and thought it was excellent. Never been before however so can't compare to how it was previously.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
One more questions about food - seeing as I usually (inadvertently) end up eating quite a bit of snow (!) - how is the snow?

Many thanks

Timmythedog
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This year we had a very unpleasant experience at Meli's Snack Bar. in Arc 1950. It was very disturbing for myself and my guests who were also present. I was sitting at the outdoor tables at the the snack bar recently. There were 8 adults and teenagers present from our group at that time having lunch. There were other people at other tables and some spare tables. I have coeliac disease (only diagnosed about 5 years ago) and so must eat a totally gluten free diet. There are no gluten free items available in Meli's apart from water and soft drinks and coffee. I had a bottle of water (purchased from Meli's) and a plastic container with a takeaway meat and sauce dish from the "Regional Products Store". All the others in our group had food and drinks purchased from Meli's. One of Meli's staff (a girl with blonde hair) approached me and said that I could not eat there with my snack as no picnicing is allowed. I explained that I have to eat a gluten free diet and that they had no gluten free foods available etc etc. She told me again that I could not eat my food there. I said I would be happy to explain my situation to the manager. The manager then came out and told me that no picnicing is allowed and I must leave his restaurant. I explained that:
1. I have coeliac disease and must eat a gluten free diet
2. That Meli's has no gluten free items apart from water, soft drinks and coffee. Or are there gluten free foods available that I was not aware of.
3. That I had purchased my water from Meli's
4. That all my family and guests had purchased their lunches from Meli's
5. That we had purchased food/drink from Meli's every day that week.
6. That I had been coming to Arc 1950 (usually bringing other families too) for 8 years and had purchased a huge amount of food and drinks from Meli's over the years.
7. That there were a number of spare tables still available at Meli's.
Throughout trying to explain this situation the manager was not listening and just kept interrupting and virtually shouting at me and insisting that I leave his restaurant immediately. He was incredibly rude and arrogant. This was the worst example of dealing with a customer that I have ever experienced in any shop or restaurant anywhere. I noticed that the other customers were watching the manger with a look of amazement on their faces. My guests were upset and embarrassed. They did not return to Meli's any time during our holidays and have said they will never return to Meli's. Personally I am not a fan of fast food but the teenagers prefer this to a lunch in a restaurant and we also like to eat our lunches together.
I had a totally different experience at Cascade Sucre/waffles shop in Arc 1950 where the staff were very welcoming and more than happy for me to eat my gluten free food whilst sitting at their tables with my family.
The other shopkeepers in the village are friendly and helpful. Some of the restaurant menu's in Arc 1950 are labelled with vegetarian options but I am not aware of any restaurants there that list gluten free options on their menus. It was disappointing when the creperie closed as they served buckwheat (blé noir) crepes and these are gluten free. The current outdoor creperie uses ordinary flour and not buckwheat.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I absolutely agree about "treating yourself to Beliou La Fume". Highly recommended but not cheap. In Arc 1950 Village I would also recommend Nonna Lisa (an Italian restaurant) that does pizza, pastas and steaks etc. It also provides takeaways.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
zagman, Our recent visits haven't been to good at Meli's either. It gets packed during the day ( Lunch time especially) due to their being so many people the Manager (bald headed chap) starts to get angry and then become's shouty, arrogant and very rude when you do not know how to ask specific questions such as do you serve small portions of chips? I love Arc 1950 and we visit every year sometimes twice but i feel the Meli's lets it down... Sad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gämsbock, we have skied at Arc for 10 years and have never once got a table at the blanche muree! However on piste the Chalet D'Arc just above 2000 is nice if pricey. In 1800 I recommend Chez Clarice, at Villards. We have frequently given up trying to get served on the front de neige at 2000. We also like the place next to the Vanoise cable car. Great pizza.
zagman, I think they still do buckwheat pancakes at Arpette. They have a Facebook page, you could check....
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
timmythedog, Agree with most of the above recommendations, but would say contraray to zagman, avoid Nonna Lisa for a variety of reasons, most of which you can find on Trip Advisor if you're curious enough to look. I have been there twice and will not set foot again until the entire staff and ownership goes to someone new.
Le Savoy in 2000 is a nice brasserie and very comfy as is the Chalets de l'Arc on the Marmottes slope. Both are run by the same family and are reliably good for dinner.
latest report
zagman, Is burger and chips no good as a gluten free option? Obviously you ditch the bun but a beef patty, potato fries and salad (or gherkin) would work I'd have thought.
ski holidays
Are there any other pl,aces in 1950 that people would recommend or places a non-skier can get to? My wife does not ski so slope side places will be more difficult.
ski holidays
TallGuyUK, We also like Chalet Luigi in Arc 1950. It is accessible from the village on one side and the piste on the other.
latest report
JulieAimeLeSki, +1 though they don't give couples very nice tables, my only gripe.
snow conditions
I was in Nona Lisa 2 weeks ago, it was terrible. Barley warm, minimum effort with poor service and it was empty! Maybe I got a bad night but wasn't impressed. Like everywhere in arc 1950 it was expensive but you expect that.

Had good experiences with Meli's but we only went there in the evening once for a take away when it was quiet.

Been going to France for many years, I love it but the prices are just getting way to out of hand as far as eating out goes.

Our meal in Nona Lisa - 3 mains, I kids, 3 drinks, almost 100 euros.
snow conditions
TallGuyUK, luigi's is right on the piste at 1950, they do meals, drinks and have a dj on at the end of the daycan't comment how the food is as only had a few drinks there.
ski holidays
TallGuyUK, All places in 1950 are accessible on foot and have entrances within the village.
latest report
sparkzter, They wouldn't serve us one lunchtime unless we had minimum of 2 courses (we were 4 adults), so we walked out having paid for drinks and didn't go back. This was the 2nd time they had annoyed me. There won't be a 3rd!
snow report
TallGuyUK, for evenings the new Vache Rouge is recommended. Not the cheapest place on the planet, but neither the most expensive. I'm told that Chalet d'Lys also does a lunchtime menu these days which is supposedly reasonable. Their evening meals are lovely - we tend to go there on an annual basis for our Wedding anniversary - unfortunately this year we arrive in town a week too late!

Neraida, agree about Nona Lisa - "could try harder" would be my (generous) report card score.
ski holidays
snowyowl, To get into Blanche Muree, you either need to arrive for early lunch at 12, or as we do, ski during lunch while it's quiet & rock up about 2.15.

TallGuyUK, What is your wife planning on doing if not skiing? She can get to 1800, & 1600 by navette which opens up the lunch time meeting options for you Smile
snow report
genepi wrote:

TallGuyUK, What is your wife planning on doing if not skiing? She can get to 1800, & 1600 by navette which opens up the lunch time meeting options for you Smile

Swimming, reading, wandering around the village - relaxing, perhaps the odd vin chaud Smile

I am going into lessons for the first time in a few years as is my 5 year daughter (who is already not a bad skier). Afternoons will be a mix of things some involving Mrs TG. These trips are a lot about getting the little one enjoying the mountains so I do not necessarily ski from first to last lift.

Lunch times at 1800 and 1600 are possible. 2 of us to ski down. Smile
latest report
TallGuyUK, when are you out? We're there 5th - 19th April possibly with a non skier (back injury hoping it may clear but you're never sure...)

Mrs TG c an also get the Transarc from 1800 to Col de la Chal where there's the ice sculptures and a restaurant overlooking Bellecote, which is also a nice place to meet. You guys can then ski the blues / reds back to 1950, she can nip down the bubbles and back on the buses.

It is also possible to snow-shoe up to Chalets de l'Arc or the navette down to Pre St Esprit, both of which are good lunchtime meeting places.
snow report
Thanks Snowyow. Ill try Arpette next time for the buckwheat pancakes.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DJL. Unfortunately burger and chips is usually no good as a gluten free option. The burgers may be pure beef and then OK but sometimes they're filled out with some bread too. The chips are usually fried in the same oil as various crumbed foods and so get contaminated with gluten.
snow conditions
Arctic Roll wrote:
TallGuyUK, when are you out? We're there 5th - 19th April possibly with a non skier (back injury hoping it may clear but you're never sure...)

Mrs TG c an also get the Transarc from 1800 to Col de la Chal where there's the ice sculptures and a restaurant overlooking Bellecote, which is also a nice place to meet. You guys can then ski the blues / reds back to 1950, she can nip down the bubbles and back on the buses.

It is also possible to snow-shoe up to Chalets de l'Arc or the navette down to Pre St Esprit, both of which are good lunchtime meeting places.

Cheers - We shall take a look Smile Out there from the 5th.
latest report
Arctic Roll, Worst case scenario we have taken the last lift down to Villarogier as the 'plat du jour' there is always worth it.

Another place we tried this trip after hearing many good reviews was the doughnut in the middle of the Arc 2000/1950 bowl. Was impressed. Good value, quick service and nice atmosphere. Good value beer to. Got 1 and 1/2 pints lager for just over 8 euro.
snow conditions
thefatcontroller, aka the Mushroom. Love it. Rumour has it it is run by Corsicans rather than the Savoie mafia, and hence are not subject to local ahem cartel 'rules'.
ski holidays
Arctic Roll, Aka The Bulle. Hehe. Corsicans? That might explain why the manager can be a tad snappy! Smile
ski holidays
thefatcontroller, may have to give it a go then, always looks popular.

Personally would never go back to Villaroger out of spite after our appalling treatment there last time - ok over reacting but I was not happy!
latest report
Boris, The doughnut/mushroom/the Bulle is worth a visit...good value, which sadly is not something that can be said for the piste side places in Les Arcs. Though the wife having a very relaxing beer in the doughnut/mushroom/the bulle after some fabulous skiing last Thursday was in such a happy place she decided she wanted to ski Bois De l'ours. Yep, it was ice from top to bottom, she swears blind she will never do it again. Beer was cheap, we shouldn't have moved. rolling eyes
snow conditions
We like the "secret hut" opposite the trans-arc mid-station, can get some reasonable snacks and drinks there and is usually pretty quiet. Was always a whole afternoons adventure when kids were little to get there from Vallandry, have drink, and ski back. They rattle around it in about 10-mins now rolling eyes They were serving a fab vin chaud at Xmas as well
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy