Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les grand montets mid april

Poster: A snowHead
Hi first post here in snowheads so apologies if this has been covered before.

I've booked a holiday to chamonix for mid April and see that it's only really Les Grand Montets still open. I've been skiing a few times and the last time I spent two weeks concentrating off piste and on touring. I want to challenge myself I hear GM is some of the best off piste around but I'm starting to wonder what it will really be like with my experience. I'm confident off piste, on black runs and moguls but it sounds like GM is a whole different level. Any replies appreciated thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
petermcmichael92 wrote:
I'm confident off piste, on black runs and moguls

Welcome to snowHead

If the above it true you'll have no problems!

We had a great May Day bank holiday at the Grand Montets a few years ago, hopefully mid April will still have plenty of snow for you
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the reply, another quick question - any idea on the cheapest place in the area to rent a transceiver, probe and shovel? Not sure how far off track I plan on going but the kit's always handy to have just in case. Thanks
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
petermcmichael92, if you are on your own, then don't bother with renting the kit. (you will have no need to search+dig, and if you get buried then you are dead in 15 mins anyway.)

If you are in a group, then yes...and also seek out a training area and give the kit (and yourself) a through test. There is Much Much more to saving a buried colleague than casually following a beeping gadget and dusting the snow off.

If an avalanche occurs, the buried person will almost certainly be outside the 35m range of your transceiver. So you need a plan before you even start moving on the hill.

Take your skis off and go for a walk about in deep snow on a steep slope for a few minutes. Its very hard work to get anywhere. Now imagine doing it under severe time pressure, trying to read a transceiver, with other people floundering about shouting, who you may be following because they have forgotten to switch their transceiver over to search...then finding the buried person is uphill from you...

Depending on your experience, it may be a good idea to get a local guide for the off piste. They will show you the best areas, and hopefully give you some idea about using the transceiver, shovel and probe.

There is a Avalanche Transceiver Practice Park in Grand Montets somewhere - give it a try - you will be better prepared (and it is fun!). Unfortunately I find it hard to convince my ski buddies to stop skiing for a couple of hours to do this - but I want them trained so they can rescue me if the other avalanche avoidance techniques don't work out. (look for the warning flags...chat to piste patrollers...look at the snow....the slope shape....other slides on similar facing and altitude....etc...

Have a good ski Smile
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the info, there's only 2 of us heading out and having never been to GM I'll likely look into a guide if I can afford it, they seem pretty expensive. Is there any need for a guide if sticking to the marked routes there? I've done training in the past but as you say finding a person is probably very different to finding a transceiver the instructor has buried in the snow.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
"Marked routes" and "off piste" are mutually exclusive on GM (and most other places).

There may be more than just GM open depending on snow conditions; the other areas can stay open longer.

The guides are pretty much the same price as most other resorts, if not a bit cheaper. About €350-400/day which for an experienced professional working seasonally in a high risk occupation (check out the argentiere cemetery...) strikes me as exceptionally cheap.

The SCGB in Argentiere tend to do a lot of the off piste and also arrange a guided day where you might be able to split the cost.

Or, you could just follow tacks and see where they lead you Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
petermcmichael92, you might be able to join an organised group doing some off-piste. The UCPA will probably be doing it (but presumably you're not staying there) but there are others too - you could try the ESF - a week in their top group would cost a lot less than hiring your own guide between two of you.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
petermcmichael92, I went to Chamonix for the first time in january and had a great time. I love skiing off piste but am not a great skier and not the most confidant either but we skied off piste about 90% of our time there as there was just so much that was really easy to see. Following peoples ttracks is stupid but the layout of GM means you can spot routes from the lift or from the top of the piste. Like you I was a little intimidated by Chamonix's reputation and while there is obviously loads of gnarly stuff there is also loads of really fun off piste that any reasonably confident skier would love. We had planned to hire a guide but didn't end up doing that as we found plenty to ski on our own and to be honest I wouldn't really have wanted a guide for what we skied. If you want something a bit more exciting and that isn't obvious from the lifts then a guide would be great but I doubt you would run out of routes to ski if you didn't. Safety wise I was happy with what we skied and I am pretty cautious. The only thing which I found steep was directly under the top GM cable car, I would have guessed this as being in the low 30 degrees so in the avalanche prone slopes but we skied it a few days after a not so heavy snowfall and again I was totally happy with this. As long as you are not a complete off piste noob, which it sounds like you aren't then I would say go out there, be cautious, but you should find plenty to ski on your own.

Oh and if Flegere is open go there as well as again loads of obvious off piste.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

if Flegere is open go there as well as again loads of obvious off piste.

due to close mid-month, I think.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There is fabulous touring opportunities off the aguille du midi with a guide - given the height there is definitely no problem with the snow at that time.

Just to add - higher spots in Chamonix have crevasse risk in addition to avalanche and having see someone rescued from a crevasse in Zermatt commands a great deal of respect from me!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
petermcmichael92, there's lots of great skiing which is probably technically off piste (e.g. Skiers right off Hearse chair) but is very much skied as though it is a piste. Easily enough to do for a few days without a guide.

That said, it's kind of hard to explain. Absolutely fine for an April week, you will probably want to take a guide for a couple of days. Should be lovely.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
How is Montets pronounced?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
FullyTucked wrote:

Mon taa
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cheers.Me and my mate had been calling it Mon tets Embarassed
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for all the replies folks, been givin a lot to think about here. Is say I'll definitely get a guide for Aguille du midi and as for GM I'll grab a piste map, and if I get a bit adventurous feeling try and get a few skiers together and get a guide sorted. It sounds like there's plenty to ski without a guide anyway I'll just see when I get there, all part of the fun I suppose! Oh and I was calling it "mon tets" aswell, I speak German better than french. I'll call it "mon taa" on the day
ski holidays
jbob wrote:
FullyTucked wrote:

Mon taa

Not mon tey?
snow conditions
The Tay the Tay, it flows by Dundee everyday, the Tay.
ski holidays
capability, yes, it is montay (though of course it's French so the "n" isn't quite there, and neither is the "d"). FullyTucked, he's having you on. Don't believe everything you read on the interent....
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy