Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cinderella, you SHALL go to the ball...

Poster: A snowHead
I said I'd post a copy of the letter to the SCGB ball, well here it is, or at least highlights of it...

===============================================

The Ski Club of Great Britain Summer Ball is going back to its roots. The Summer Ball is back in the newly refurbished Hurlingham Club for July 2004. Everyone who took part in the White Peaks challenge is very welcome.

Friday 16th July
Hurlingham Club, Fulham, London
Champagne Reception
Three course meal
Dancing and the infamous bucking bronco

If you book a table before the end of May you will get the following savings:
Table of 10 - £900 instead of £950 save £50
Table of 12 - £1080 instead of £1140 save £60

===============================================

So, what do you think?
£90 a head for a glass of champers and a 3 course dinner?
Or if I invite 10 of you round here for a BBQ and beer, and you each give £50 to SCOPE, a charity which helps disabled people, not a CLUB that helps itself...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
oooooo. Tough one that. Let me think about it Wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What kind of hat do I wear?

Any other dress code?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Goldsmith, sorry, the letter only talks about the ball. If you're coming to a party at my place, we'll do it in full Northern Ireland dress code - balaclava & gloves. Of course, I've heard you look better in a balaclava...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sounds like the social event of the year. Everyone huddled incognito around a BBQ in July in balaclavas.

I'm a vegetarian, by the way.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Usually the dress code for such events is formal, not that I've been to one but I have seen the pictures, the DHO do something similar but at considerably lower prices Wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
i've never been to a bbq where the dress code was formal. Usually t-shirt and shorts or raincoat and umbrella Wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Elizabeth B, you're just not going to classy enough bbqs snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dare I say this. I am going. To be fair the Hurlingham Club is lovely and I thoroughly enjoyed the last one I went to.

PS: I am just as happy in shorts with a sausage, but a girl likes to put her best frock on now and then!

PPS: At the last one they had a bucking bronco. Word of advice. Don't undertake this in a strapless gown after lots of wine. Ooops!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Beverley,
Quote:

At the last one they had a bucking bronco. Word of advice. Don't undertake this in a strapless gown after lots of wine. Ooops!

You only said that to make them (blokes) want to go Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Beverley, well done for puting your head above the parapet. Will you be taking a sausage with you?
The poor SCGB does get ragged a bit here, but £90 doesn't just get you "a glass of champers and a 3 course dinner", but also dancing to dawn (well, at least midnight anyway) and the Hurlingham Club, which as Beverly says is meant to be a great place. I think you would be hard pressed to get a fancy night out in London with meal and dancing for much less than £90. I have never been to one of these Balls, but i don't think we should knock it without trying it. I'll give it a go if anyone wants to go with a depressed boring old fart. (Is fart OK Admin?)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jonpim wrote:
(Is fart OK Admin?)

Depends on how smelly it is Wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Beverley wrote:
PPS: At the last one they had a bucking bronco. Word of advice. Don't undertake this in a strapless gown after lots of wine. Ooops!

Beverley, you weren't at the DMA ball a couple of years back were you? Saw someone similarly dressed practising the exact same stunt and they too were clearly the worse for the booze Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mark, my dear, I don't make a habit of it!

I can assure you I was as ladylike as one could be under the circumstances (although in desperation to stay on the bull, I pulled one of it's horns off!!). Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hurlingham is greatly over rated. If you want to go to a proper ball - come up to Scotland and you can come to the USLS Summer ball----- most fun you'll have with (some) of your clothes on
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee - what's the USLS Summer ball ? ...... just looking for an opportunity to visit Scotland. And when is it?
latest report
Its a Uni Law School thing! Theres one tomorrow (spring ball) and then a summer one at the end of June!
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee, pictures, girl, we want pictures! Twisted Evil
snow report
Well I've sent off my cheque and will dust down my posh frock in preparation.

Anyone else planning to go? Go on, you will probably have more fun than you think. Wink
ski holidays
Beverley, I would like to go, but my kilt needs a bit of repair work and I'm worried that the snowHeads cummerbund might get me ostracised.
The tickets price has been criticised here, but I understand the Ball donates a fair sum to charity. I did find a web-page giving details, but can't find it just now. The Club site is strangely muted on the charity aspect.
(I must add that if the SCGB members I met in the Frog and Roast Beef recently in Val T are an example of typical Ball-goers I am going to have to be on my best behaviour ..... if you saw them on the telly you would insist the caracature was way too over-the-top, but I think they were genuine!)
ski holidays
Ooooh, tell us more Jonpim,
snow report
Jonpim, please don't lump us all together. Some of us a great fun! Very Happy
snow report
Ahh well Jonpim, theres loads of kilts up here so you'll blend in!

Ahh yes the BBQ by the bins has now been renamed The Ball on the Green"

yehaa! trailer trash here we come!
snow report
Quote:
The legendary Ski Club Ball returns to the Hurlingham Club this July for some serious summer apres ski fun...so get your tickets now!

So this is what all the fuss is about? 'Fraid I haven't got a though...
ski holidays
Is this the same "charity" ball, that last year raised money for that well known charity, BMI baby?
ski holidays
Elizabeth B, I seem to remember that was a rather unfortunately worded headline for which I think the story actually said that the money went to a ski-ing for the disabled group whose name I can't recall...
snow report
Ian, The Uphill Ski Club of GB?
ski holidays
Gerry, you're right and here is original item.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ian Hopkinson, Hilarious!
ski holidays
Yes, the headline writer deserves a Mothercare voucher.
latest report
David Goldsmith, is it one of yours?
ski holidays
What, the baby? No, it's BMI's, but it's legitimate.
ski holidays
David Goldsmith, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
The ball is looming. I have my frock. Anyone else going? Wink
latest report
I'll be there in my kilt!
snow report
No, I won't be there, see my reasons above.
snow report
I will look out for a kilt! Very Happy
snow report
Beverley, sorry, I won't be there: my kilt's broken.
ski holidays
I'm afraid I won't be there either. I hasten to add that I did go to the Ski Club ball once, and had a very good time, and that was before innovations like the bucking bronco. This is a mechanical horse that generates endless amusement as drunken guests without the Texan riding abilities of President Bush get thrown around or thrown up. There's also the charity draw, where the prizes are spectacular holidays and ski equipment etc., with a good chance of winning.

One thing I don't quite understand, after many years trying to work it out, is the 'black tie' rule. That's the black tie rule generally, not specifically the Ski Club's. At the Ski Club Ball I swear I saw men in spotty ties, pink ties, green ties and lots of other tie colours (including black) and no women in black dresses at all.

Apparently the cultural code is to have fun with your tie colour, wear a kilt (presumably with traditional Scottish undergarments), or some other formal attire (including evening dresses) but you MUST WEAR A BOW TIE (unless you're female). And if you're a lady you mustn't dress in black and look like a widow.

I once tested this black tie nonsense at a friend's posh do, where I turned up in a very stylish (at least I thought it was stylish) thin black leather tie and a fairly casual short-sleeved shirt beneath it.

I was not refused admittance.

Does anyone else have interpretations or observations of these peculiar British rituals, or any cheeky challenges to them?
snow report
Well, not so long ago I was a junior fellow at a Cambridge college and one evening I decided to go to dinner on High Table (they were keen on this, because attendance was generally a bit low). Since it was summer (and hot) I was wearing my usual crumpled linen look + college bat cape.

Pre-dinner drinks in the parlour revealed I was in the process of committing a social faux pas, I'd chosen my evening poorly and discovered that we we entertaining the Honorable Company of Haberdashers (or something like that). Their representatives had turned up in black bow tie, cumerbund and were also sporting enamaled medals which looked something like mayoral chains of office. The rest of the college fellows were at least wearing suit and tie, if not the black tie get up.

The bursar (an American ex-diplomat with a wide range of interesting stories), strolled up to me (sherry in hand) and said:
"The Master and I were discussing whether or not the formality of High Table was putting off the younger fellows from attending."
He looked me up and down and then said:
"I can see this is not the case."
Embarassed
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy