Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have a few questions if anyone (pleeeeeeeeeeeease) can help me out a touch.

I am due to got to Les Deux in a couple of weeks. A couple of questions. Can anyone recommend a good way for someone travelling on their own to get from either Lyon or Geneva to Les Deux (flights not being booked til logistics are sorted at tother end). Dont wanna spend an arm and a leg so trying any help suggestions would be appreciated.

Also - on PISTE - can anyone recommend any areas/runs that are decent.

APRES-SKI - can anyone recommend any restaraunts, bars, club or lil cafes.

I like to go with a few ideas as I find that other peoples recomendations are often the best places to go ....
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Best bet is fly to Grenoble and use Bensbus for the transferes. Pistes, plenty to choose from with the top of lifts being 2km higher than the village though take the gradings with a pinch of salt, there are some decidedly redish blues and blackish reds!
Oh and if you don't like very bumpy blacks full of out of control skiers who shouldn't be anywhere near it don't be too proud to go down from Cretes on the lifts at the end of the day!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd agree with what davkt says about the piste gradings and runs back to resort. Signal blue run is a nice run.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd go with davkt on the transfers as never had to organise that myself.
Found that the Fee area is nice, has some entertaining reds and blacks, the long winding blue has its moments but is very flat. I would get above Cretes if possible as this is were a lot of the learners assemble/practise although it never seems to get that busy.
Town appears to get very quiet after 9pm, the Polar Bear Pub is a typical pub, there are quite a few other bars within a 100m radius of this pub. Mont-de-Lans end (opposite end to what you enter) appears to have more bars than the other end, in my opinion anyway.
You have to visit the Pano Bar on the mountain between 2-4pm at some stage during your stay, just to experience the atmosphere. If you're there the week of the 15th onwards, you may see the Dutch students who spend their week in L2A.......lots of Loud Orange people!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lyon is probably easier than Geneva if you can't get a flight to Grenoble. There's a shuttle to Grenoble bus station where you can get a local bus up to the resort.

Loads of bars and restaurants. Polar Bear and Secret Bar are decent for a drink. Smokey Joe's has live music from about 5 and the Pano Bar (at 2500m) has thumping music from 3.30 to lift closing time. My favourite restaurant is Le Trappeur, Le Cellier is very good if you like loads of meat. I'll be there then.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Can't add much more to the après question other than what has been suggested above, all decent places for a drink at the end of the day.

With regards to slopes, the Signal, Glacier and Fee piste areas are all good, Signal blue in a particular favourite of mine, wide and almost bowl-like in places. From that, you can get onto the Glacier Runs - Glacier 1 is a blue from memory that will start to bring you down towards resort. Drops you at mid station of the Jandri Express. From there, drop onto Fee 1, blue again, but a couple of steeper pitches in there - watch out for the long flat bit towards the end. You can then either get on the Thuit runs towards the Cretes are, or get the Fee chair back up to mid station and the Jandri runs will also drop you into the Cretes area for the "White Eggs" bubbles down, or get the Jandri Express!

Loads of ways to link up between areas, and all of the ones I have noted above have a mix of blue and red runs, dependant on your preference.

We have travelled in from Geneva and used the Altibus/VFD bus services, not badly priced but quite a long transfer.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Claude B wrote:
Lyon is probably easier than Geneva if you can't get a flight to Grenoble. There's a shuttle to Grenoble bus station where you can get a local bus up to the resort.

yeah, i've done this, it takes about 3-4hrs all told i suppose from airport to resort.... Fairly easy to navigate though..
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you're not into the killing field that is the Valentin at the end of the day, there is no shame in getting the lift back down. It's a valid excuse to get a few drinks at the Pano wink

Down in the station, I'm more inclined to go to the Boardroom and hide amongst the lifties, especially if we go there towards the end of the season.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Flights to Grenoble arent available on the days we're going. It really is a bit of a nightmare.

Can easily get to Lyon and/or Geneva but I am not sure how we'd progress from there?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

What Claude B said. Doesn't sound like a nightmare to me, especially if you are travelling on your own (always the easiest way wink ) and don't take absurd amounts of stuff.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As I noted above, you can get the Altibus/VFD from Geneva to Grenoble Gare Routiere, then change buses to get one to LDA - it was a few years ago but from memory was about and hour and half to Grenoble then another hour and a half or so to LDA - add in the waiting time between buses and its slower than a direct transfer from Grenoble airport, but not massively so. You can find timetables and book online, bus drops you off in 2 or 3 different places throughout resort, dependant on where you're staying.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just avoid the green Desmoisellles as a home run, it is very narrow and everyone who wouldn't want to come down the the black Valentin will be on it, seriously, everyone! if you don't want to the Valentin, (steep but very wide) just take the Jandri down.
For 2 alpes, in general, some blues might feel like red, some reds would be classified as black at other places. The black slopes of 2 alpes are in general just steep, so if you like bumpy blacks, 2 alpes is not the best place. Bellecombes 5 is a nice narrow quite steep black run.
I'd also avoid the Fee and Thuit blues cause the area is seriously flat.

There is a bus for free taking you around the village. Then there is an open-air swimming pool on the 1800 side. Also, you can find an ice-rink next to the Jandri express. There is a restaurant with a nice terrace at 3200m, nice place to have a drink, excellent view.

There is this post which has info about the bars and restaurants at 2 alpes: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2451724&highlight=alpes#2451724

Good luck,
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy