Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Drive Chambery airport to Meribel?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A friend and I are looking at spending a week at Meribel (from 12th April) and are keen to hire a car to drive there from Chambery, and back again. Just wondering if this is likely to be an easy drive and whether it is likely to be difficult to get parked in Meribel for the week?

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
chrisjervis, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead It's an easy drive from Chambery to Meribel but keep an eye on the weather forecasts - if it's snowy you might need chains. Don't know about the parking, but somebody will be along in a minute who does. Meribel is a sprawly sort of place - ease of parking will probably depend on where you are staying. You might have to pay.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Signs to Albertville, signs to Moutiers, signs to Brides Les Bains/Meribel. Done, extremely easy.

Like pam w says, you'll probably have to pay. If you know where you're staying, ask the chalet/hotel/apartment owner if they have a space?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ravines car park, on the main road towards Chaudanne, is free, and large. Lots of people leave cars there for the week
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Most open air parking places in Meribel are still free but they're not really signposted and depends a bit on where the chalet is. At that time of year it will quiet though so shouldn't really be a problem. You'll be seriously unlucky to need chains, at least to Morel level. Worst case scenario, dump your gear where you're staying, park the car at Raffort (mid-station for the Olympe bubble) or the main car/coach park near the Chaudanne which I think is still free and take the bus back to where you're staying.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Patch wrote:
Ravines car park, on the main road towards Chaudanne, is free, and large. Lots of people leave cars there for the week

That's the one I meant!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

You'll be seriously unlucky to need chains

Unlucky? Nice new dump of snow? One of the only times I've had to put chains on my snow tyres, in the last few years, was in a sudden April snow shower. Didn't last long, but the road was super slippery, no traction at all.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, yep, and that was seriously unlucky. Certainly not an everyday occurrence in a south facing resort at 1400m at a time of year when the freezing level rarely drops below 1800m in daytime.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Raceplate wrote:
pam w, yep, and that was seriously unlucky. Certainly not an everyday occurrence in a south facing resort at 1400m at a time of year when the freezing level rarely drops below 1800m in daytime.

Indeed. I must admit, I'm not sure I'd be looking at Meribel as a reliable option that late in the season, pretty risky. Temperatures can get very high at resort level and the runs into resort pretty poor and slushy late in the day. Of course with the weather you never can tell, but I'd certainly be looking at VT for a mid April 3 valleys trip.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I'm not sure I'd be looking at Meribel as a reliable option that late in the season

I definitely wouldn't, but that wasn't the question. wink A nice dump of snow (necessitating the use of chains) at that level in late season would still be lucky, rather than unlucky, though.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy