Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing Austria mid-April

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, any recommended Resorts in the vicinity of Innsbruck when visiting mid April 2014?

Looking for a snow-sure, lively resort with a large intermediate ski/boarding area.

Opinions much appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hintertux
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
solden
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Hobbteater - Solden, Ischgl, St. Anton and Hintertux are all on the shortlist.

Why specifically do you put forward Solden? Have you had a good experience there?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Based on the nature of this season so far, I would leave booking until as late as possible.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi Ulmerhutte - Thanks for the advise. I think I'll try and get hold of some historical snow depth data for Austria in the month of April.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
And Obergurgl.

Most of the smaller resorts normally shut around April 10th or so. Last season they were still totally skiable then; this season, some might struggle to reach that...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
clarky999,

Some of the small resorts close to here (Vienna) where this time last year I was skiing powder, have shut already Shocked Sad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skidm, im on a mission to answer as many queries with solden as possible

also

mid april is end of season in austria, snow making is fantastic these days but having a glacier and 3 3000m peaks is going to help you a lot. the village is high for Austria, snow sure tick
its lively, tick
it has a large area with lots of vertical, tick
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
skidm, I have booked St Anton for mid April 2015 as my research on historic snow depths reckoned it should be OK
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hobbiteater, I like your mission.

Solden is now looking a strong candidate. The Tourist Information has replied to me and "guaranteed best snow conditions until May"!!!

However, we might consider bringing the trip forward 1-week to reduce any risk.

Can you recommend a budget transfer service running between Innsbruck and Solden? Cheers.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skidm, cheapest way to get there is to take the public bus from the airport to Innsbruck train station, train to Otztal and then another public bus up to Solden. There's another thread discussing this somewhere. Here it is:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2490337
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skidm wrote:
Hi, any recommended Resorts in the vicinity of Innsbruck when visiting mid April 2014?

I was in Ischgl at the end of last March and it was phenomenal. The snow levels were a little lower than normal, but it was still amazing.

I guess a lot of it depends on what you're looking to do. at Ischgl there was something for every level of skier, and the Ski Apres was extremely fun.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We have taken a gamble on Mayrhofen 14th to 22nd, great area and great town and normally great snow at Easter with the backup of Hintertux up the road.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I think I'll try and get hold of some historical snow depth data for Austria in the month of April.

That will be as much use as a chocolate fireguard. You want to be checking out the current conditions. Look at the webcams, Tourist Office websites and ask on here. Some of the lower resorts are really struggling - they will keep things going for another week to meet the Fasching Week demand from southern Germany, and the remaining Dutch and Scandinavian holidays. After that, if the weather stays warm and the snow stays away, some will be closing rather quickly. This season has been one of the poorest for snow in many years.

As the guys above say, you need to look at Solden or Hintertux, where you have the glacier or wait until the very last minute. You might consider Sud Tyrol / Northern Italy. That side of the Alps got all the snow this year and is relatively easily accessible from Innsbruck.
ski holidays
quinton wrote:
Quote:

I think I'll try and get hold of some historical snow depth data for Austria in the month of April.

That will be as much use as a chocolate fireguard. You want to be checking out the current conditions. Look at the webcams, Tourist Office websites and ask on here. Some of the lower resorts are really struggling - they will keep things going for another week to meet the Fasching Week demand from southern Germany, and the remaining Dutch and Scandinavian holidays. After that, if the weather stays warm and the snow stays away, some will be closing rather quickly. This season has been one of the poorest for snow in many years.

As the guys above say, you need to look at Solden or Hintertux, where you have the glacier or wait until the very last minute. You might consider Sud Tyrol / Northern Italy. That side of the Alps got all the snow this year and is relatively easily accessible from Innsbruck.

There is a lot of snow there, but having just been there, at the lower elevations it's actually just a lot more slush. Cortina for example is open late, but I don't know I would ski there then, some of the southern slopes were slushy, and that was even high up.

I'm not a fan of Austria, but still in this case I'd vote for one of the glacier areas and high elevation. Solden is a good choice.
ski holidays
It was quite a revelation to me, in a very good snow year soon after we got our place in the Alps, that even when there's loads of snow, the top bit (the only bit that matters in terms of skiing) still gets slushy, depending on conditions/aspect.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy