Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Warren Smith - 1 Day Course Chill Factore

Poster: A snowHead
Afternoon ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls,

I'm thinking of booking on for a couple these 1 day courses (moguls and freestyle) this summer or autumn but I have a few doubts about how much you can actually learn on an indoor / artificial slope, and therefore wonder if they are value for money or not. Has anyone done them who could provide a bit of feedback?

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've just done an evening snowdome session with Warren and it was well worth it, lots of new drills and things to try to make fridge skiing much more interesting.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
davkt, cheers, still not made up my mind yet but thanks for the info.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've never skied with Warren Smith, but to answer you generic question about whether you can learn on indoor/artificial slopes, the answer to that is definitely yes. Almost all the tuition I've had has been on artificial slopes, and so I've learnt far more skiing there than I have in resorts.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kieranm, thanks, but to be fair my question wasn't actually whether you can learn indoors it was how much you can learn and whether it is value for money.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
nickr, tricky questions.

I've done a few indoor sessions with WSSA, the last one being moguls.

How much you learn depends on you really; how hard you try and how good you were before you began (that's presuming that lower level skiers will improve more quickly)

Is it value for money? Well I'm a tight sod but I'd consider giving both those days a go.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mosha Marc, I would consider myself a fairly competent mogul skier, certainly not brilliant but can get down anything without much fuss, albeit perhaps with few marks for style, and that is where I want to improve I guess. I'd like to be at a point of being able to ski straight down the fall line, Glen Plake style Twisted Evil
But as you say, the better you are the less you may stand to learn???

BTW, the reason I'm cautious is because the better half will also be coming, so a penny bun will cost tuppence.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
nickr wrote:
.......the better half will also be coming, so a penny bun will cost tuppence.

That makes it pretty expensive to be honest. I might just think about taking the Mrs on one; but only if she promised she was keen to learn and would have a crack at it on the real snow too.

In fact, snowdomes are probably the best place to "get into" zipperlining them cos it's not very steep.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There's no problem there - she'll happily ski moguls. We did a 1 day camp together in Winter Park a few years ago and she loved it. I'm blessed by having a wife who also loves skiing and is happy to get stuck into any challenge. Edging towards to booking a spot I think.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I did a 1 day mogul course at Chill Factore in November - not with Warren Smith, but Andrew Lockerbie and team
It was a great way to get maximum value from an indoor slope, as it was super-concentrated mogul practice
I found it really helpful, and highly relevant to the 'real thing' outdoors
I'd definitely do it again, and would highly recommend the indoor mogul experience
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mr brain cheat, you might have been there the same day I was, I think it was the 5th.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mosha Mark, just checked back and it was Monday 11th November, which seems an age ago now!
See you next time, all being well
Now, if Chill Factore could arrange a powder day... Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I did a one-day course with Warren Smith at Hemel once (not him personally, but one of his minions). I have never been so bored or so cold in my life. We spent ALL day doing braquage. Skullie
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

In fact, snowdomes are probably the best place to "get into" zipperlining them cos it's not very steep.

Indeed. Very flattering. I'd question whether they are testing enough to show up your faults. A big part of mogul skiing is about speed control and you don't really need that in a fridge
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jedster wrote:
Quote:

Indeed. Very flattering. I'd question whether they are testing enough to show up your faults. A big part of mogul skiing is about speed control and you don't really need that in a fridge

You do if you change the line and whilst it may not always show up faults that steeper pitches will do, it is almost always better to learn speed control in a less steep rut/zipper/bumps line to improve technique before taking on bigger and steeper lines.
ski holidays
Just seen details for 2014 Parallel Dreams indoor mogul courses:

18th & 19th June - Chillfactore, Manchester
23rd & 24th August - The Snow Centre, Hemel Hempstead
1st & 2nd of October - Chillfactore, Manchester

I've signed up for a couple of days Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Details on http://www.paralleldreams.co.uk/pdcourses.html
snow conditions
I did the Warren Smith bump course at Chill Factore a couple of days ago. Thought it was excellent actually, learnt a lot. The coaches were very good and gave clear instruction and feedback. Worth the money, would do another one without hesitation.
snow report
I did the Warren Smith bump course at Chill Factore a couple of days ago. Thought it was excellent actually, learnt a lot. The coaches were very good and gave clear instruction and feedback. Worth the money, would do another one without hesitation.
snow report
That's good to hear. I'm doing one on the 5th May. 6 hours- a long day!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy