Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Folie Douce - like or loathe?

Poster: A snowHead
La Folie Douce have opened in ADH this season at the top of the Marmotte 1 chair having clearly spent a fortune totally re-modelling the old resto on the site, extending the balcony for the 'dancing' & VIP area. To me it's an odd choice of location if they're supposedly going after the Russian market with cash to burn as ADH doesn't have huge numbers of visitors from that region and isn't generally known as a chi-chi resort at all.

Anyhoo, I've been in a handful of times this season, with the family for a coffee and 'the lads' for a couple of sundowners and generally I quite like it. To me it's a bit out of place up the mountain and rather odd to see bouncers during the day and local coppers lurking outside at throwing out time but the food & drink offerings are decent and not stupidly priced while it's a change to use toilets which don't require climbing gear to access. We've seen plenty of local residents eating there and they seem in favour although the music can be heard from way up the hill which isn't great and the 'crazy' dancing on tables does seem rather forced (particularly when there's only 20 people doing it at 3.30 in the afternoon). Skiing down pi$$ed could be a problem as it's not a super easy run down to civilisation (particularly back to Oz) but I haven't seen anyone being daft on the couple of occasions I've done it.

Wondered what the views of the SH's collective might be? I've only visited the one in ADH but assume they're all similar?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I like the Folie Douces I've visited, although I tend to inhabit the margins rather than the absolute centre of the partying Happy Fun way to finish the day, and I like the music they usually play.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Personally I think it's rubbish, but then I don't do organised corporate 'fun' and nor do I like the musical equivalent of being hit over the head repeatedly with a mallet. If I wanted that sort of thing I'd go to the Pano in 2Alpes, which at least has the merit of being a locally-run business and not a 'brand'.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I wasn't impressed with the one in VT, and it was bloody expensive, even for there.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I just love to dance!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Having places like the Douche is a feature of what makes Euro skiing what it is. I think you have to be in the mood though, and I'm not sure I fit in the Champagne swilling, mutton dressed as twerking lamb, dodgy turtleneck demographic.

The kidz can of course do what they want they've got yoof on their side.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Loathe.
Quote:

nor do I like the musical equivalent of being hit over the head repeatedly with a mallet
+1
Quote:

I wasn't impressed with the one in VT, and it was bloody expensive, even for there.
+1
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lots of Middle aged men dancing like dicks thinking they are being cool whilst the cash in their wallets it's being extracted by pretty girls , quite sad really
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Never actually been but bloody noisy when you go past.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I certainly don't have yoof on my side
(Unless one wants to dance by my side)
... but that would never stop me

I just feel that when I hear the music and I've had a good adrenalin day .. my pile of old bones just wants to keep moving,
alcohol has nothing to do with it.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DrLawn,
Quote:

I certainly don't have yoof on my side
Yes you do, you are young in heart! Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Rob Mackley,
I'm OK .. I'm past the middle age and I don't care if I dance like a dick.

Never had to buy a gal a drink to dance with me .. so the cash stays in the wallet.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ah Pedantica, So are you ... Fancy a dance?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DrLawn, absolutely, for a dance with you, I will even go to the Folie Douce! Toofy Grin I take it you are going to the EoSB?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pedantica,

EoSB ... I do hope so ... its about 50/50 at the moment
snow conditions
DrLawn, hey, you've GOT to!!!
ski holidays
I get Lizzards point about supporting local business and do that wherever possible but in Alpe d'Huez LFD replaced the worst kind of alpine rip off experience (£32 for 4 weak Nescafes anyone) and while I wonder about the Disneyfication of ski resorts (how long before a ski-through McDo?) what are modern ski resorts if not giant amusement parks anyway?
ski holidays
I've never been to one, but I strongly suspect I would be in the "loathe" camp.
ski holidays
Thump thump thump goes the crap plastic Europop. For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like. Not for me.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 2-03-14 15:43; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I generally prefer quiet traditional places, but did dance in the VT one with my shirt off for a couple of hours on the last EOSB. Got quite hooked on the Austrain Apres though, I even know a few songs these days.
ski holidays
I've been to the one in VT. A bit of escapism a chance to let my hair down and beat along with the 'musak', no one bats an eyelid at how you enjoy yourself as long as you are doing so. Mind you I will dance to music where-ever I am I'm just like that - embarrasses the hell out of the kids, but hey! isn't that a parent's job? Toofy Grin . Everything is pricey in VT and the Folie douce seemed no different. The run down Plein sud is not too difficult even when a few drinks in, though in the spring is something of a slush fest so you have to be careful. Would I go again? Yes.
ski holidays
ScarpaTheAvalanchePoodle, +1 for Austrian après!
ski holidays
ScarpaTheAvalanchePoodle, +1 for Austrian après!
latest report
Megamum,
Im missing Val Thorens big time .... hemel fridge just aint the same
Rock On!
ski holidays
Ps Im rather fond of the Mooservirt in stanton and Londoner in kitz too
Apres ... more impotant than the real thang
ski holidays
I'm in the Like camp (seemingly a minority here).
But i've only ever been to the one in Espace Killy above La Daille.
Not noticed many middle aged men - usually full of young'uns so I feel quite old (but then i am old).
The Val D place paces the music rather well: slow and chilled in the morning, then increasing the pace and volume as lunch progresses, to wild an raucous come the afternoon. Friday is usually especially fun.
I quite like the music, and really enjoy when the saxes take off.

http://youtube.com/v/g8uboHUOAk4
latest report
DrLawn, It was a great holiday last year wasn't it? I have very fond memories of that trip and of making new and hopefully long lasting friends even if I only bump into them once into a blue moon. A chance at another visit would be great, but the longer we wait the more convinced I become that a FBash won't happen this year Sad .
ski holidays
And just when I was thinking of giving Italy a miss next year and going back to France.

Loathe it, just like I loathe the Yetti bar and Senor Frogs in the Carribean and anything remotely similar.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi Megamum,

Whats the "FBash"

I wonder who this fat old git is making a fool of himself is?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201375335452314

What was good about the Folie Douce is there was a terrific jazz singer there last season.
ski holidays
Kel, don't worry, most of France has nothing remotely resembling the Folie Douce.
snow report
DrLawn, Never wink Great moves Shocked
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Kel, don't worry, most of France has nothing remotely resembling the Folie Douce.

Most I dare say that "most" resorts thankfully do not have anything resembling the Folie Douce, however the only one I have to been to that doesn't is Valloire. But and their is no denying this even when viewed with your Francophile tinted glasses wink that if you were to calculate "most" as percentage of places frequented by the British, then "most" unfortunately would have something resembling the Folie Douce.
ski holidays
I've only been to the one in the Espace Killy. It went down really well with our group; kids, teenagers, mums and dads.

It's a shed load better than the Austrian euro-pop based après Twisted Evil
snow report
Quote:

if you were to calculate "most" as percentage of places frequented by the British

ah, there's your mistake, Kel wink
snow report
Mosha Marc wrote:
It's a shed load better than the Austrian euro-pop based après Twisted Evil
This.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

if you were to calculate "most" as percentage of places frequented by the British

ah, there's your mistake, Kel wink

I dare say you right and you know the hidden gems.
ski holidays
Kel, I only know a few; there are loads more.
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
I like the Folie Douces I've visited, although I tend to inhabit the margins rather than the absolute centre of the partying Happy Fun way to finish the day, and I like the music they usually play.

+1 Yeah, I'm more of a margins man too. Completely agree that it's a nice way to end the day. The sun's out, I've got a cold beer, and I'm shuffling along to some upbeat music. It's all good with me!
snow conditions
I'm a fan but have only ever been the Val Di one. I go once or twice if in Val for a week, more than that it's a bit samey.

It's a good way to end a good day on the mountain. Not sure what the earlier references are to old men getting their wallets emptied by young tottie, never seen that, unless perhaps in the 'VIP' area. But then that's not where the real party is Smile
snow report
Jonpim,
Quote:

The Val D place paces the music rather well: slow and chilled in the morning, then increasing the pace and volume as lunch progresses, to wild an raucous come the afternoon
Do you stay within earshot all day?!!! Shocked
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy