Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How often to service skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have he offer of lending a mates gear to hand service my skis which I fancy learning about. This raised the question of how often I should service my skis, before and after a weeks holiday? End of every season?

Any good instructional video out there? I'm assume servicing by hand is better than by machine like used in most main stream ski shops?

Any hints tips appreciated, having never done it before my only concern is how I'll judge I've done a good job?! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bene, FWIW We've always done ours between trips of one week duration. It doesn't seem to matter when we do them, we just do them between trips of a week-10 days in length.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The DVD www.thepisteoffice.com sell is as good as it gets, also read the tuning guide on there, better yet get yourself to Nottingham and have a lesson from Spyderjon at the Pisteoffice. As to when to service then ours get done before the holiday and the kids are usually wanting the wax redone by mid week!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
In practice I normally service at the end of week away and after 10 days they normally are really in need of a service. End of season I service them and leave the wax on to protect the edges. If I can be bothered I use a diamond file on edge trick on the edges during the week. In wet snow I might also wax them during the week.

There are some good videos om the main equpment manufacturers web sites and someone will rightly recommend than you read Jon's ski service website which is referred to on a number of threads if you search. . I find I do a better job myself than most ski shops although not as good as a ski shop that also caters for racers.

Talk to people who do it about what equipment who really need. I only really know how good a job I've done when I ski on them and they just feel like they are running and gripping really well. The standrad test for edges is to draw the back of your thumb nail across the edge at different points along the length of the ski and it should take a shaving off. I don't bother but some suggest running a marker pen along the edge and remove that. Don't get to hung up about it as you getting dimishing returns the more time you spend and the more I do it the better feel I get for the job.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Q&P from the late great Doug Coombs. Good enough for Teton & Ecrins granite - good enough for you

http://youtube.com/v/4O5GUAtShiU

(other ski tuning methods are available see spyderjon for details)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy