Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ESF and other schools in Val Thorens.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ok first question may seem a bit odd given the title. I've not skied in the area before but is it feasible in any shape or form to get from VT to Meribel for daily or one off 2.5 hr lessons?

I ask as New Generation seem to be very well thought of and are offering the sort of thing I'm after group All Mountian and Off Piste groups running for 2.5 hours. There are lessons from 1400hrs in the afternoon so the issue will be being able to get back at the end of the day. If this is a non starter then my options seem to be.

Prosneige: Don't really seem (on paper at least) to offer what I want, their highest group is ski red run with the aims of the week being to devlop on piste technique and bumps, no mention of off piste. If anyone has any experience of their group lessons and what they involve please let me know. If they run multiple groups and grade you accordingly something like this would be ideal.

Ski Cool:

Not allot of info on their website, highest group lessons offered same as Prosneige.

ESF. Despite skiing in France several times I've not had any instruction from ESF. They offer Off Piste group lessons but no indication to levels on offer-so far as I can tell. I don't want to turn up and hold anyone up or find that I'm out of my depth. I like to be pushed but know my limits, on the IOS scale I'd put myself at an 8.

I'm going with a group of beginners who I'll be happy skiing with for some of the time. I like the focus of a half day lesson and while I like to learn it's also about finding people of a similar level to ski with rather than jut crusing the blues all day or going off on my own. Private lessons are another option but would prefer groups for the reasons mentioned.

Would appreciate any feedback.

Cheers.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Was in Les Menuries earlier in the season. It's a simple two lift run up out of meribel mottaret. Plattieres then cote brune, but it would make me personally too nervous about lift closures/contraining the group late in the lesson etc esp early in the season.

I'd try ESF level3 mornings - if you are better than that level they will push you up to level4/offpiste. IME you might not learn much, but you will go interesting places, and meet people. The dedicated offpiste class ime expects you to know what you are doing, if you aren't fully comfortable anywhere and everywhere, err lower and let them push you up (or call and ask them).

Prosneige group for us didn't go as high as you want, the top group was pretty early intermediatish, privates were technically pretty good, not as good as newgen.

aj xx
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
a.j., Thanks for that,useful to know don't want to be bored but probably less so do I want to be out of my depth!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
As a.j., says, don't worry for a second that top level esf groups won't be high enough standard. Classe 4 is proper off piste and you cover a lot of ground. The standard of French skier in this is definitely pretty high, but if you have some off piste experience you can do this. Classe 3 or more likely to be mix of off and on piste with bumps and other terrain thrown in so this is option also
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Had an email of New Generation saying they'd recommend their school in St Martin over Meribel, and I'd have time to get from/back to VT.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Bene, you could also have a word with admin; Philippe, who runs the off-piste guiding at the EOSB every year is with Prosneige IIRC
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
eng_ch, Cheers I'll drop him a note, got some interest to double or triple up for private lessons potentially so might have more options.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
also try looking here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=108782&highlight=
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bene, we have used Luke, of new generation, out of st martin several times and can recommend him.
You can ski there if not starting at 9am, or finishing end of day.
At Christmas we met him there for 2pm for a lesson and we ended at a high point that would return him to SMB and us to Les Menuires.
He is excellent and is well known and highly regarded in the valley, on & off piste
If you have a hire car it is an easy drive back to SMB to their free car park.
I hop this helps.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
a.j., Thanks for that, I dropped Claude a line as recommended by admin on the lin you gave. He's free all week. As he's a master of moguls I'll maybe need a session with him.

noisey, Thanks for the recomendation. I think worst case there's a bus I can get back up-I won't have a car. If I can get one or two more to share which there is potential for so long as the abilities aren't too disimilar private lessons could be the way to go.

Cheers!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bene, Claude's brilliant and he's a hoot. I had a lesson with him last EOSB and it made a huge difference in just 90 mins
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy