Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

To race or not to race.....video of a young skier

Poster: A snowHead
My daughter Angie, 6 1/2 years old skiing black slopes fast in the Alps.....she really loves skiing and i hope she will not be riuned by masters who want her to start racing.....
I've seen too many times kids that loose interest because they started racing too young.
I think instead she should continue skking just for fun for at least an other 2 or 3 years, and only after, if she wants, start training with gates....
Any personal experience with your kids would be helpful....Wink

http://youtube.com/v/GzhSw-1e0uo&feature=youtube_gdata_player
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Askaman, I have no experience, but can only say WOW! What a fabulous skier!

Welcome to snowHeads! snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
IMO you need to get her skiing bumps jumps and fresh snow. Smooth groomed pistes (however steep) as per the video she is fine on, but you need to challenge her a lot more with variable terrain. Good skiers need to be able to cope with whatever conditions they come across.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks, very soon I'll be in trouble at following her... Cool
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm not quite sure what you point is?
Actually, scratch that, it is clear what your point us. But I'm not quite sure what you're pretending your point is?

But apart from that. I'm impressed. Good skills. Beautiful. Skiing.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
TheGeneralist, well, I'd be proud of having a 6yo who could ski like that, wouldn't you?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
To the average one week a year holiday skier it seems amazing.....that is until I recall watching dozens of kids of the same age and upwards doing exactly the same thing in race school in GM last week with better technique.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jirac18,
Quote:

To the average one week a year holiday skier it seems amazing

I ski a bit more than one week a year, but it seems jolly good to me.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oh it is jolly good for sure and I'd love it if my 7yr old could ski that well but they are ten a penny among many of the local young skiers from what I have seen.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pedantica wrote:
TheGeneralist, well, I'd be proud of having a 6yo who could ski like that, wouldn't you?

Yes totally. I'm just not sure why he doesn't just post a message "here's a video of my daughter skiing. I'm so proud of her. Isn't she awesome"

He's sort of dressed it up as some sort of question/conundrum thing where he's pretending to look for answers to a question he hasn't really asked. Sort of false modesty type of thing.

Just come out with what you really want to say....

And just to reiterate, the kid is awesome. I'm dead impressed and I wish my 6 yearvold could ski like that.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Firstly what a lovely little skier she is. Whatever she decides to do, im sure she will be good. I can only now speak from my experience. I raced from 6-23yo. Whilst i dont regret this as such, i do wish i had varied my skiing much more. I cant ski powder too well and i am terrible at freestyle. Racing by its very nature got very competative and i would see time and time again very pushy parents and spoilt brats with 10 pairs of skis. If i had my time again i would have ventured into freestyle as the guys and girls tend to be more chilled out and enjoy their competative skiing more.

I ended up packing racing in because A) i wasn't good enough and B) If your from the UK you dont stand a chance when you go across the pond wink - at least with freestyle in the uk we have better fascilities.

Just my experience, others may disagree.

Whatever you do though, get her skiing veried pistes/off piste, it will really help her develop.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi thank you for your reply! I see your point, of course racing can also be funny, but I also have a past of racing when I was young, and after some years, even though I had some good results, I found myself envying those guys who could just ski for fun, doing off-piste and whatever they wanted instead of being stuck everyday doing gates....:rolleyes

My idea would be letting her doing some gates training and only a couple of races a year, just for fun with no pressure at all....and instead working on her free-skiing ability in any terrain and conditions.

Here in Italy skiclubs and trainers tend to focus too much on gates training and much less on fun, and I believe that at this age is too early to focus only on races and can be even counterproductive...technically
Pushy parents are the same everywhere..... Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Askaman, The main thing that she would get from a race programme would be to be able to follow the coach around the mountain and copy how they ski.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Askaman, As I said this earlier:

you need to get her skiing bumps jumps and fresh snow. Smooth groomed pistes (however steep) as per the video she is fine on, but you need to challenge her a lot more with variable terrain.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thats good to hear. My son is nearly two, he loves the snow and his strap on skis, but he wont be pushed to do anything. Its a very fine line between hobby and chor. I alwayd think enjoyment comes from keeping it varied and relaxed, neither of which i got from racing.
snow conditions
TheGeneralist wrote:
Pedantica wrote:

Yes totally. I'm just not sure why he doesn't just post a message "here's a video of my daughter skiing. I'm so proud of her. Isn't she awesome"

He's sort of dressed it up as some sort of question/conundrum thing where he's pretending to look for answers to a question he hasn't really asked. Sort of false modesty type of thing.

Just come out with what you really want to say....

And just to reiterate, the kid is awesome. I'm dead impressed and I wish my 6 yearvold could ski like that.

Of course I'm proud...! And happy she loves skiing so much....Just wanted to listen other parents expiriences and thoughts about starting to race at a young age, because her masters are pushing a bit too much, and I'm not sure what is the right thing to do
ski holidays
PS what Robw said above!! Happy
snow report
RobW wrote:
Askaman, As I said this earlier:

you need to get her skiing bumps jumps and fresh snow. Smooth groomed pistes (however steep) as per the video she is fine on, but you need to challenge her a lot more with variable terrain.

I agree, actually is what she does mostly when she ski with me... I love freeriding and i enjoy skiing with her off-piste as often as possible....and she loves it too!
snow conditions
jirac18 wrote:
To the average one week a year holiday skier it seems amazing.....that is until I recall watching dozens of kids of the same age and upwards doing exactly the same thing in race school in GM last week with better technique.

So I assume that being her avarage, you suggest to enter her in a race school to get a better technique?
ski holidays
Am looking forward to skiing with my daughter now. Very Happy

I think your plan of some racing mixed in with other skiing and keeping it fun is good. The US seems a bit more progressive in this regard with freeride groups that seem to do it all forming at some resorts.
latest report
meh wrote:
The US seems a bit more progressive in this regard with freeride groups that seem to do it all forming at some resorts.

Yep, and Canada too (well this side at least)
The local mountains do K-12 race programs (ie 5/6 years old+), but also there seems to be a lot of opportunity for freeride, freestyle, skiercross, etc.... Whistler (at least) has dedicated programs for these too. I guess the recent Olympics show this is producing results
snow conditions
Sounds like things are more progressive here. Whilst there are plenty of race clubs at 7 it is pretty much all about free skiing (lots of terrain like Rob W mentioned) and technical drills. If they do any gates at all its because the gates are set to teach them a particular skill rather than to race train. At our local race clubs you are more likely to find the U8s and u10s in the glades, in the skier cross, on moguls, popping mini cliffs, and doing ungroomed runs than you are spotting them gate training.

I have two kids in race club; a 9 year old and an 11 year old. Both still do masses of free skiing. The U10s have very few races and the U12s have 3 provincial weekend races a year (these take a whole weekend each). I think there is a huge difference between race training (which is multi skilled, terrain, free skiing, technical free skiing as well as some gates and a lot of team building) and gate training. Race training is aimed at developing all round skiers, a love for the sport and it aims that if they continue they eventually become good racers. I am not sure what excessive gate training at 6 is good for. Speak to the race clubs and find out what they do. there should be more than one choice of philosophy and program type.

Both my kids love the ski race programs they are in; my 9 year old loves the sociability and skiing round with al her friends. My 11 year old is just focussed and loves that.

What does your daughter think? I for one wouldn't put a kid in a program unless they wanted to do it; particularly a race program.

From your post it sounds like you really want her to end up being a racer; certainly she has all the race gear already (which is really unusual; well here anyway). If you want her to end up racing its about quality time on snow at this age with varied terrain, not about gates. Early results are not indicative of anything in racing.
ski holidays
Quote:

What does your daughter think? I for one wouldn't put a kid in a program unless they wanted to do it; particularly a race program

I was wondering when somebody was going to ask that. For myself, I wouldn't ever put her in for race coaching unless she'd been begging and badgering me for months.

This, after talking to a French friend, who lives permanently in the Alps and had a very strong 6 year old son - the race club coaches were desperate to get their hands on him, but my friend had seen too many kids, good little skiers and athletes, pushed through their fear barriers and dropping out, feeling a "failure" For the very few with the talent to get to the top - and a certain attitude to life - all very well but it's not what I'd want for one of my kids or grandkids.

Super little skier. snowHead
snow report
jirac18,
Quote:

Oh it is jolly good for sure and I'd love it if my 7yr old could ski that well but they are ten a penny among many of the local young skiers from what I have seen.

A bit harsh, but true.
Askaman, she seems a tidy little skier, but she needs to be able to do that in ALL snow conditions, on ALL terrains and in ALL weather.
And then still think it´s fun.
Keep her free skiing, and if you do decide to get her some gate training prepare yourself for years of enjoyment, but also bitter disappointments, injuries and frustration.
She will have to give up almost all her free time, and more than likely you yours.
It is expensive, it is exhausting, but it has given my kids some of the best days in their lives.
ski holidays
Probably does sound a bit harsh but true enough. The test of whether she is likely to be good enough for the future maybe as a pro racer is to throw her in with all the others and see where she sits. Sporting life these days in particular is make or break at quite a young age. Too young in my opinion and she may develop even more later on. The flip side to the softly softly take it slowly argument is maybe later in life when she hasn't made it as a pro racer she may say "I could have done it if only I'd been pushed harder". It's a fine balance to find.
latest report
stuarth wrote:
meh wrote:
The US seems a bit more progressive in this regard with freeride groups that seem to do it all forming at some resorts.

The local mountains do K-12 race programs (ie 5/6 years old+), but also there seems to be a lot of opportunity for freeride, freestyle, skiercross, etc.... Whistler (at least) has dedicated programs for these too. I guess the recent Olympics show this is producing results

Yes, and this is what I also tend to think is better: a progressive, multidiscipline, free, approach.
At this stage is better to focus on fun, freeskiing, off-piste and, only occasionally, gates and races.
Tehcnically speaking I've heard that kids who only did race training from a young age didn't develop a strong technique because limited to what they have to do within gates.
But also we must deal with each individual carachter....and my daughter seems to be pretty competitive:rolleyes

She ski with a couple of masters in 2 different resorts, sometimes with other kids, sometimes with just an other friend, sometimes only with the master, and I asked them to spend as much time doing all sort of skiing: jumps, off-piste (that she loves of course), freeskiing and only occasionally, gates.
Both of these masters are "gently" suggesting me to start thinking about races more seriously, of course they are not pushing me or her in any way, they still spend time skiing any kind of terrain.
I only think it's a bit early, she will have time to race, eventually seriously if she'll be good enough, in the next years, but nothing serious until 9 - 10 yo.
latest report
Where do her interests lie? Speed and gates? Have you let her try the park yet?
snow report
stuarth wrote:
meh wrote:

Yes, you can see from these results, in different disciplines, that Usa and Canada approach is paying, this is exaclty what I think too.
That said, I'm not trying to plan the sport future of my daughter because I think or hope she could become a champion...... I only want her to have fun and become a strong skier in any condition.
Honestly, as I also had a past of ski racing, and I had the luck of skiing with kids that became world-cup race winners, I have my opinion: it's hard enough to stand out in ski racing even for those who live 365 in a mountain resort, so for those, like us who live in a city and can ski "only" 40 - 50 days a year, it's a "mission impossible" unless someone shows an incredible natural talent and decide to move to a mountain resort to live...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Askaman, she seems a tidy little skier, but she needs to be able to do that in ALL snow conditions, on ALL terrains and in ALL weather.
And then still think it´s fun.
Keep her free skiing, and if you do decide to get her some gate training prepare yourself for years of enjoyment, but also bitter disappointments, injuries and frustration.
She will have to give up almost all her free time, and more than likely you yours.
It is expensive, it is exhausting, but it has given my kids some of the best days in their lives.[/quote]

Hi Kooky, she already ski on all terrains, in every snow conditions, she loves off-piste and with any kind of weather (this year otherwise we couldn't have skied at all, as it's snowing and stormy since janary.. snowHead )
She really loves skiing, and never complain about weather, cold, whatever, and I'm really really happy about this attitude.
And I'm also convinced that this kind of approach helped her develop lot of confidence in any situation, and also confidence with speed, she's always under control, even if sometimes she's too fast for my personal taste... Confused
From what you say I assume you had racer kids, so your suggestions are most welcome: you know what it means to plan 10 or more races a year, in different locations, warm up runs at crazy early hours, ski tuning and so on...
Don't you think it's better to wait at least an other couple of years, if she'll be really keen to race? I don't think it will make a big difference, I think instead that she could become an even stronger skier in the meanwhile
snow report
gryphea wrote:
Sounds like things are more progressive here. Whilst there are plenty of race clubs at 7 it is pretty much all about free skiing (lots of terrain like Rob W mentioned) and technical drills. If they do any gates at all its because the gates are set to teach them a particular skill rather than to race train. At our local race clubs you are more likely to find the U8s and u10s in the glades, in the skier cross, on moguls, popping mini cliffs, and doing ungroomed runs than you are spotting them gate training.

I have two kids in race club; a 9 year old and an 11 year old. Both still do masses of free skiing. The U10s have very few races and the U12s have 3 provincial weekend races a year (these take a whole weekend each). I think there is a huge difference between race training (which is multi skilled, terrain, free skiing, technical free skiing as well as some gates and a lot of team building) and gate training. Race training is aimed at developing all round skiers, a love for the sport and it aims that if they continue they eventually become good racers. I am not sure what excessive gate training at 6 is good for. Speak to the race clubs and find out what they do. there should be more than one choice of philosophy and program type.

Both my kids love the ski race programs they are in; my 9 year old loves the sociability and skiing round with al her friends. My 11 year old is just focussed and loves that.

What does your daughter think? I for one wouldn't put a kid in a program unless they wanted to do it; particularly a race program.

From your post it sounds like you really want her to end up being a racer; certainly she has all the race gear already (which is really unusual; well here anyway). If you want her to end up racing its about quality time on snow at this age with varied terrain, not about gates. Early results are not indicative of anything in racing.

Hi GRYPHEA, thank you for your comments and sahring your experience. I like to hear about different approaches and compare them to what happens here. As said I'm also convinced that too much gate training at this age can be counterproductive and I totally agree with you that early results are not indicative of anything as you said, that's why I think kids need to keep on developing their skiils in every different conditions and situations until they are at least 9.
Then if they're really keen to race, they might start!
It may sounded that I want her to end up being a racer, instead, for many reasons, I would prefer not.
I'm sportman, and I like competition, I believe that it helps also in all other aspects of life, but honestly we also must face the reality: as I wote in a previous post "it's hard enough to stand out in ski racing even for those who live 365 in a mountain resort, so for those, like us who live in a city and can ski "only" 40 - 50 days a year, it's a "mission impossible" unless someone shows an incredible natural talent and decide to move to a mountain resort to live..."
Said that I'll be happy if SHE will decide to try racing, when she'll be grown enough to understand what racing really means! wink
snow report
jirac18 wrote:
Probably does sound a bit harsh but true enough. The test of whether she is likely to be good enough for the future maybe as a pro racer is to throw her in with all the others and see where she sits. Sporting life these days in particular is make or break at quite a young age. Too young in my opinion and she may develop even more later on. The flip side to the softly softly take it slowly argument is maybe later in life when she hasn't made it as a pro racer she may say "I could have done it if only I'd been pushed harder". It's a fine balance to find.

Hi Jirac18, thanks, her master last year made her compete in a GS against 2 years older kids and she did a very good result, that's why he is convinced that she might become a good racer, he believe she has a natural attitude for speed and because she shows to be competitive even against boys...
rolling eyes

Said that I also believe that even if we wait an other couple of years before thinking about a race programme, it can't make a real difference: I've seen lots of very good young kids, winning their competitions at a young age, got lost when they grew.
So, if she will become a really good skier, she will have time to develop racing skills from the age of 9-10, and have some fun and results.
I don't even think about pro racing, for the reasons explained in a previous post...
snow report
Well if she does decide herself with your guidance to start racing at a later age and try to develop to pro racing she has an excellent base to go from for sure.
snow report
Askaman, thanks for sharing - brought a smile to my face to see someone clearly enjoying themselves so much and with no little talent. And at such a young age snowHead

Not got much to add constructively, other than to broadly agree with jirac18's last post.

Good luck and do keep us appraised of her progress.
ski holidays
Quote:

I'm sportman, and I like competition, I believe that it helps also in all other aspects of life, but honestly we also must face the reality: as I wote in a previous post "it's hard enough to stand out in ski racing even for those who live 365 in a mountain resort, so for those, like us who live in a city and can ski "only" 40 - 50 days a year, it's a "mission impossible" unless someone shows an incredible natural talent and decide to move to a mountain resort to live..."

Said that I'll be happy if SHE will decide to try racing, when she'll be grown enough to understand what racing really means!

A couple of things:
I don't think the only reason to ski race is because you think you have a chance of making it big time. Its just like any other sport; there is a benefit to taking part. Health, fitness, learning to lose, camaraderie, development of a life skill etc. Otherwise my kids wouldn't be doing it.
John Kucera and Jan Hudec are both city boys.

I am not sure what a 'master' means or what racing means in Italy, but consider putting her in by age 8/9. At a young age, the fastest girls tend to beat the fastest boys; that's what I have observed anyway, not until around U16 are the boys then emerging as faster (or some U14 depending on growth spurt). Some kids also learn on the curve differently, learn earlier but then stall etc. So I think her 'master' is just trying to encourage as many kids into racing as he can, after all that's how you get results (on national scale) by playing a numbers game.
snow report
Askaman,

Think about skiing like schooling. Lots & lots of basics, skiing all the mountain in all conditions, & specialise later on.

The boys I ski with are currently 7 & 8 and we have done 8 races in 2 seasons and very few 'gates' in between the races. We basically decide we are going to do a local ESF slalom/GS race and rock up without any special preparation. The boys think the races are something special and really enjoy them but there is no pressure to enter them.

Here's a little video of a 9 yr old Italian skiing a few gates

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BysXb4j6tUyYR0czZnNqUnBYT0U/preview?pli=1

Not bad
wink
snow report
Quote:

you know what it means to plan 10 or more races a year, in different locations, warm up runs at crazy early hours, ski tuning and so on...

haha, try 40 races a year all over Europe as an 11 year old!
Why not just start off at local ski club level, I don´t know what country you are in, I may have missed it I am dim like that, but the kids here in Austria start off at about her age in "fun" local club races using stubbies not gates, these races progress to area races when they are about 8-11,(Bezirkscup)and if you are good enough there, you get picked to race the county races(Landescup) aged 11-16.
Then of course if she is still interested and doing well, she would go onto FIS races which are NOTHING like the other races, that´s when sh! t gets real.
ski holidays
stewart woodward, wow, he´s great!
snow conditions
I had a very similar situation with my son when he was also 6 (he's now 19). He had first weeks skiing one on one with an instuctor in Selva. At the end of the week the instructor took it upon himself to find our chalet to let me know that Joseph was the best Brit skier he'd ever seen (the instructor was well the other side of 50) and that if he were Italian, he'd be shipped off to the national elite ski school. After sniffing back the tears of pride, I then thought 'now what?' We live in west Cornwall. Confused
At that time, no real help was available from the various UK ski bodies as we live miles from any UK facilities. I wasn't well off enough to buy a place in the Alps, so it was hard going.
I took Joseph back to Selva as often as I could for specialist training. He was allowed to train with the village FISI kids until the Mayor got wind of it and a couple of the instructors offered to train him in their spare time for free.

The upshot being, we have some great friends in Selva and my 19yo son is an bloody good recreational skier. wink

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 27-02-14 20:25; edited 2 times in total
snow report
kooky wrote:
stewart woodward, wow, he´s great!

+1! Wow!

I obviously have no personal experience of this but was asking my (ex-racing) instructor about her 7/8 year old daughter the other day… she said there's a "fun club" and a "race club" and that her daughter was in the "fun" one and was all over off piste these days and that was her new thing. I asked her if she thought she might take up racing and she said "I have no idea, she's having fun and it's totally up to her - I've no idea what she'll want to do but she can decide later."
latest report
Wow just seen this video:
http://youtube.com/v/rw9cHaff4n8
5 year olds :0
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy