Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I am after a bit of reassurance that i am doing the right thing. Two friends and I are planning to book three days skiing in Serre chevalier at the end of March (25-28th). I guess we are all mid-intermediate level ish having all done about 10 trips away one the last 10-15 years. We did Tignes a few years ago which we enjoyed although i remember finding some parts quite challenging. What we are after is lots of skiing (we will be on the slopes from 1st lift to the last) to maximise the skit time we have, not necessarily too challenging, but at the same time fun, some speed, preferably some long runs and above all decent snow. So my question is does Serre Chevalier meet these requirements or is there somewhere better we should be considering (without being too expensive). We are hoping to book tonight so any quick advice would be much appreciated.

One other thing i am assuming it is a good plan to hire a car at Turin airport and to drive over the border?

Thanks for any help.

Sam
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
unway007, welcome to snowHeads. Serre CHevalier is a great choice, and there will be plenty to keep you occupied for 3-4 days on the slopes. You can hire a car, and driving over the border into France from Turin shouldn't be a problem.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the quick reply Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don't think you can go wrong with Serre Chevalier. We have just returned after a weeks stay. We were based in Briancon which was a really lovely spot but I found the runs at the end of the day a bit hard work. They were hardpacked and not very pleasant to ski on with tired legs. Villeneuve or Chantermerle would be an ideal place I think. We also thought Serre was much cheaper than other French resorts. Would recommend the small place tucked away behind ski school meeting point at the bottom of the piste in Villeneuve, can't remember what it was called now but very good value for money. We flew to Grenoble and hired a car. Journey took just under 3 hours. I'm not sure how long it would take from Turin but personally I think the drive from Grenoble would not really make it viable for a cheap short break. I can't wait to go back, I have fallen in love with the place. There would be plenty to keep you going for 3 days, plenty of tree lined runs for when the weather closes in and some great off piste.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Turin is a shorter drive. Great resort. Definitely cheaper than many of the well known resorts. Loads of skiing. Little lower than val d sere tingles etc but given the amount of snow there at present this shouldn't be an issue. Off there is 2 weeks. Suspect car hire is going to be broadly equivalent to cost of private transfer which would be 250 euros for 4. Cta taxis were great when we used them a couple of years ago.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've only been to SC once (along time ago). It was only an OK week for various reasons. I am fairly certain we stayed in Chantermerle. IIRC most of the accomodation was on the opposite side of the valley to the skiing. We had to get a bus to and from the base station (all be it a short ride). Might be relevant to the OP in terms of maxing out the day. Can someone confirm the situ a) for my curiosity and b) so the OP gets located OK.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for very helpful info and the reassurance! I would be very interested in recommendations on where best to stay. I was initially looking at Monetier-les-Bains but for no real reason other than I read the name on an SC review! Thanks again
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
wishfulthinker

Quote:

I can't wait to go back, I have fallen in love with the place.

Happens to a lot of us.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Layne, there is accommodation across the road, but there is also a lot of it close to the foot of the pistes.

unway007, where were you thinking of staying in Monetier-les-Bains?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hells Bells wrote:
wishfulthinker

Quote:

I can't wait to go back, I have fallen in love with the place.

Happens to a lot of us.

+1
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hells Bells wrote:
Layne, there is accommodation across the road, but there is also a lot of it close to the foot of the pistes.

and, +1
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
unway007, Monetier would be a good choice for several reasons - it is slightly higher than the other towns in SC, the skiing in the immediate area would be well suited to your level, the town itself is nice with a few livelier options, access to the slopes is fairly easy and skiing from Monetier over to Briancon and back gives a really great sense of travel (if you get too knackered, one can always download to one of the other towns and jump on the valley bus back to Monetier - very straightforward).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hells Bells, cheers. It was a long time ago Smile snowHead

I really ought to get back their one day.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks all! for the information.

Hells Bells - Don't have any specific place in mind to stay yet - still looking. Any suggestions/recommendations gratefully received Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
.unway007, hotel or self-catered? A friend looks after some nice apartments close to the lifts, but not sure of availability. Website is www.eurekaski.com
snow conditions
Thanks Hells Bells for the link will have a look, I don't mind to be honest hotel or self catered would be fine as long as reasonably priced and near slopes
snow conditions
unway007, the apartments are in the same residence as my own, and are close to lifts and have a pool. Most of the hotels are in the village centre which is 5 minutes walk from the lifts (but is easily reached by frequent ski bus).
latest report
Thanks for all the advice so far. I have just had a look at the piste map for Serre chevalier and i can't tell whether it is possible to ski on-piste between the runs above Villeneuve and runs above Monetier or are they separate? It looks most likely that we will stay in Villeneuve and i was wondering if you can ski to Monetier or you have to take the bus???
ski holidays
unway007,

It is all linked :: Briancon to Monetier via Chantermerle and Villeneuve
ski holidays
Hi is it cheaper to buy ski passes in advance or are the prices generally the same in resort? Plus can I just check I just need but the serre chevalier pass there isn't another option I should be considering?

Thanks for all advice
latest report
unway007,
They seem to chop and change what they offer slightly each season slicing and dicing the different parts of the area, from what I can see the only realistic alternative to the full pass this season is a Montier only one but I would go for the full pass. The only alternative if you are going for less than 1 week and have a car and the snow looks poor is to take daily passes and drive elsewhere to L2A for example, but it sounds like this year is a great snow year and the full area is the one to go for.
snow conditions
Definitely go for the whole area pass. Ski Mitel have a chalet hotel and chalet in monetier and sometimes have good last minute deals.
ski holidays
dan100 that's Ski Miquel, not Ski Mitel Happy Hope you have all the info you need unway007, I am on the forum now and then and happy to answer any Qs. Have you booked anywhere yet?
snow report
Thanks Mel. Danger of auto correct on Ipad. MEl definitely has some nice apartments in her portfolio if you prefer self catered.
snow report
Thanks for the advice everyone. I am sorted now on accommodation thanks Mel. I will definately go for the whole area pass but was thinking of going for the day passes in resort (as it'll give the flexibility to try other resorts maybe if the snow is better [we have a car with us]). As i am only there 3 days (25-28 March) i don't think the difference in cost is significant.... Just got fingers firmly crossed that the pistes are still in good shape at the end of the month after all this warm weather... snowHead
ski holidays
unway007, there will be plenty of skiing in SC to keep you occupied
snow conditions
Off to SC this weekend.

Am already grinning! Looks like some fresh snow in the forecast to...... Very Happy
snow conditions
ADESki, which way you coming wink

Though hopefully will not be any travel issues with the snow, which "hopefully" will come this time as looks to be from the South.

Wait and see Cool
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Weathercam,

Flying into Grenoble midday so hopefully no bother.

Have been on a couple of trips to Austria this season and weather forecasts of 20-40cm of new snow have failed to materialize but accept that it is all a lottery. Here's hoping though!

Still grinning!
ski holidays
We're out for week of 5th April, can't wait. Been wanting to go to Serre Che for a while now and after spending some time around the area in the summer this want has increased.
snow conditions
Quick question..... Jnr is a fairly competent skier who has been talking about learning to snowboard, however, we'd like him to progress further as a skier. I've suggested we get him some park lessons or learning some other skills (we might join in too), any recommendations? We're staying in Villeneuve.
ski holidays
hammerite, Ski Solutions in Villeneuve will probably be able to sort you out
latest report
Weathercam, great thanks.
latest report
On route to SC now- very excited!! Only have three days skiing so determined to fit in as much as possible. As it's my first time in SC I would appreciate recommendations on any runs to definitely do and possibly which not to bother with in current snow conditions. There seems so much choice on the piste maps not sure we can fit it all in, but will certainly try! We are staying in Villeneuve.

Thanks to all those who have given advice to date it's been really helpful.
latest report
unway007, Villeneuve isn't a bad place at all to be based for some excellent runs.

My suggestions:

Above Villeneuve: Clot Gautier (red), Cucumelle (red)

Over towards Monetier: Yret (red), runs off Cibouit, the blue run that passes Payra Juana (excellent log cabin/bar/restaurant - one of my favs, anywhere), there are plenty of blues and reds down into Monetier and, if you fancy an often challenging black, Tabuc is worth a look.

Above Chantemerle: Vallons (blue) is a delightful run through the trees, Margaux (blue) and then onto the Luc Alphand (black) is a great run down through the trees.

To be honest, there are many great links for the Chantemerle/Villeneuve/Monetier sectors...have fun!
ski holidays
NB - perhaps someone can update on what the runs to the villages are like - Luc Alphand (Chantemerle), Bez and Casse du Beouf (Villeneuve), Tabuc (Monetier).
snow report
Cacciatore, Tabuc was heavily mogulled and rutted towards the bottom last week. I'm sure the fresh snow has improved things a little bit though.
snow report
Hells Bells, I managed to get into a right old state about halfway down that run many years ago - bloody huge moguls and not much room to turn. I'd only popped out to buy some fags....
ski holidays
Thanks, also any après recommendations well appreciated Smile
snow conditions
I think Le Frog in Villeneuve always seemed a fairly decent apres destination. There's an OK bar with outside space near the foot of the Aravet Gondola (poss near the foot of the Casse du Beouf (and the blue run that I can never remember the name of).

There may well be other recommendations from people who know Villeneuve better than me.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy