Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Update...ruptured ACL Packing for Niseko....on crutches :(

Poster: A snowHead
So Mrs rungsp and I are off to Japan to see The Lad for two weeks tomorrow, having driven back from Switz' yesterday.

On saturday Mrs rungsp took an akward fall, her first of the season.

She screamed in pain and took a long time to get up.

Badly torn lower hamstring, and suspected meniscus (spelling?) damage in her left knee.

After much agonising (!) she has decided to come anyway, but on crutches and with very little prospect of skiing.

"I'd be bored at home on my own, the money is spent, I might as well be bored there"

Stoic attitude, but such a shame Sad

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 28-02-14 9:59; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No! That is a shame. Quite a different experience in Hirafu compared to Verbier, so not all is lost. Try to get to the Yo restaurant in Hurry Slowly for an amazing Japanese meal. Needs to be booked at least a couple of days in Advance.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sorry to hear that rungsp!

+1 for Hurry Slowly and please tell Stef I send my best wishes.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
that's a real shame for her. Fingers crossed she feels better in time to ski. On a positive note, Mrs NBT fell and tore her hamstring on day 1 of a two week trip to Canada some years ago, and while she was on crutches for a few days she did get back on skis before the end of the two week trip.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rungsp, ouch... another thumbs up for Hurry Slowly and the Korean joint is good for a quick meal. I would also get up to the Boyo So (sp) hut up on the hill, not sure if accessable with crutches though... The Fridge bar is great and there is a jam session at a jazz bar that is worth taking in as well. I am sure Jnr. is well versed in the local scene though snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I snapped my Achilles just after booking a holiday for myself and two young children and arrived at the report on crutches and spent the week looking after children. I did think about standing outside a ski shop to see if they would pay me to go away. Puzzled
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rungsp, on the plus side she should be able to enjoy the long list of onsens in the area! The one near Moiwa and the really old school (100+ year old) ones being my favourites. There is also always the prospect of visiting Otaru/Sapporo for a day trip to avoid the Aussies! Best of luck with the healing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That really sucks, but as mentioned she should enjoy the onsens at least!

Tip tip: If you have any time to kill (or need somewhere to sleep) at Chitose Airport, the onsen/spa area there is great!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
the above plus

Japanese Cookery Classes

Origami Classes

Couple of musems and art galleries in the area

Niseko Geisha experience
http://www.sayuki.net/project/niseko/geisha-in-niseko/
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
physio visit today, our first day, and bad news.

Mrs rungsp has ruptured her ACL...it is a gonner Sad

Told us that at her age, early 50s, reconstruction is not really an option.
Stay fit, stay light, get stronger...and wear a brace for sports.

Obviously we will get a second opinion in th UK on return, but all a bit shiity really....
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rungsp, definitely get a second opinion. Hopefully Jonathon_Bell may drop a line. I guess I can't comment as my reconstruction was when I was 29, but I am sure I know of people who have had reconstructions in there early 50's.

i presume she is fit and active? In which case there is a LOT of damage which can be done subsequent to an ACL rupture (or even after a partially damaged ACL reconstruction as you can see from my posts).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rungsp, no way would i be accepting no reconstruction based on early fifties. Get referred to a consultant and I'm sure he/she will want to do what they are best at and get things fixed, they are surgeons after all and like nothing better than mending stuff (always assuming they confirm the diagnosis).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rungsp, That sounds balls to me...ACL/PCL reconstructions are done way into your 60's in preference to a full knee reconstruction nowadays...did she have an MRI or is this just your physios McMurray test results??
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh no, really bad luck for you both. Sorry to hear it.
One of my companions (female age 53) from the last holiday snapped her ACL and damaged her meniscus. She had private health insurance and had it repaired at once in St Anton.
On the other hand, another friend snapped his ACL when he was 62 and has skied the 5 years since without one (fast and mostly off piste).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rungsp, I had my last reconstruction done when I was 58. It is not a question of age, it is a question of quality of life; your Mrs is very active and continuing with that level of activity relying just on a brace is going to lead to further damage unless she wears it 24/7. Wearing it just for the sporting activity is comprise that could lead to having further damage due to the instability in the joint.

Do get a second opinion when you get home, Jonathan_Bell recently said on here that age should not be a factor in not having a reconstruction. My surgeon's view was if the knee is in good condition (other than the busted ACL that is!), having the reconstruction will help keep it that way and put off the need for a total knee replacement.
snow conditions
rungsp wrote:

Obviously we will get a second opinion in th UK on return, but all a bit shiity really....

Bulls**t -

a) that's a clinical decision not in the hands of a physio

b) I'd be changing physio if that was the outlook they had becasue it suggests they don't really understand activity levels in people

You can manage without an ACL - I did for a number of years based on muscle bulk and strength alone, but ultimately it wasn't activities that made me have a recon but the fact I was limping on steps and probably eroding cartillage fast.
snow report
rungsp, Good luck to Mrs rungsp, on my visit to Niseko many years ago there was quite a lot to do and see other than skiing.
I fell and tore a hamstring on day 1 of my most recent ski trip and still enjoyed the holiday, fortunately for me it was not an ACL.
Hope you both have a great time.
snow report
fatbob wrote:
rungsp wrote:

Bulls**t -

a) that's a clinical decision not in the hands of a physio

b) I'd be changing physio if that was the outlook they had becasue it suggests they don't really understand activity levels in people

You can manage without an ACL - I did for a number of years based on muscle bulk and strength alone, but ultimately it wasn't activities that made me have a recon but the fact I was limping on steps and probably eroding cartillage fast.

Think this is right, an ACL can definitely be reconstructed in a fit 50ish year old. There are pros and cons, but need to get her into the hands (and possibly MRI scanner) of an orthopaedic surgeon
snow conditions
I am 59 and ruptured my ACL in Breckenridge 3 weeks ago, as I have medical insurance I was able to see a consultant on Monday and will be having a reconstruction (using the hamstring) once I have built the muscle strength around my knee and the swelling has completely gone.
I know it will be a long slog after the operation to regain strength and mobility in the leg but I should be ready to ski by December and we intend to go back to Breckenridge in February as I only managed 3 days before my accident.
I am also going to take advice on powder skiing this time as having never skied in deep powder before was the cause of my accident Sad
snow report
Steve.S wrote:

I am also going to take advice on powder skiing this time as having never skied in deep powder before was the cause of my accident Sad

Fat skis!

(Only joking - be sure to rehab good and strong then take supervised lessons as a wide ski cause unhelpful strain on the knee - I mean I stepped down to a 97mm ski post recon - practically a race toothpick wink )
ski holidays
(Mrs) rungsp and Steve.S, here's hoping for a trouble-free procedure and swift rehab.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy