Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Three days in Zermatt - is an international pass worth it?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So due to a few circumstances I find myself with three days in Zermatt, mostly skiing by myself. Is it worth getting an international lift pass for 30chf more, or in the limited time shall I stick to Zermatt only?
I am an fairly average intermediate skier, doing most red runs, and to keep my company I have ski school 9-12pm each day. So I will only have the afternoons anyway to get over to Itay. What do people think?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think that Zermatt side is much more interesting in terms of terraine and scenery, and so if you only have 3 days and are only free in the afternoon, I would stick to Zermatt. Plus it takes so long to get to Cervinia, that you really need a full day there to make it worth it, IMO.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
TommyJ, Welcome to Snowheads Happy I would check whether the ski school plan to go over. I did 4 days of lessons with Summit a few years ago and we spent one morning in Cervinia. As alenchic, states the skiing is more varied in Zermatt but if wide perfectly groomed motorway reds are your thing Cervinia is perfect. It does take a while to get over and back depending on what route you take.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
TommyJ, not worth the expense or time , if you only have afternoons , plus the link is quite often shut due to high winds ,so might not make it on the day you plan anyways .
Zermatt has some of the best long red runs in the alps , use the afternoons to practice what you've learnt in the mornings rather than spending an hour plus on lifts getting over to Italy
Sunnega area is usually quietest in the afternoon , and the best home run with a stop at the champagne bar Smile
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The ridiculously long descent from Kleine Matterhorn down to Valtournenche is a must-do run in the Alps in my opinion.

But most of the terrain in Zermatt is better than most of the terrain in Cervinia. It's also mostly harder.

"Average intermediate", if that's to be taken at face value, you'll adore that run...

Be careful about the lift closure times for your return journey if you're time constrained. Cervinia to Zermatt is a taxi ride you really don't want.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
That Valtournenche run is indeed beautiful and quite long- it's the best run in Cervinia by far. Still not sure that I would go there from Zermatt if I only had an afternoon to do it... And yes, you could certainly get stuck there because of lift closures- in fact, that's exactly what happened to me and my friend, except we only needed a cab back to Cervinia, which wasn't that big of a deal. But we certainly paid for our carelessness Smile.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
"Quite long" ha ha.

It's one of the longest descents on-piste anywhere in the world!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks everyone for the replies. I fancied the idea of visiting Italy and of cruising wide open reds but it seems like it will just be too much hassle in limited time. So I will stick to the Zermatt side - ski school confirmed they don't go over the border. Looks like I'll find plenty to keep me amused on the Swiss side.
I don't really know what standard I will be! I used to be quite good intermediate (most skiing in North America - could ski most blacks there and starting on a couple of the double black bowls). But I've not skied for a few years - hence the lessons.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mr Pieholeo- true Smile.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
TommyJ, enjoy the whole experience zermatt has to offer , its a wonderful place , and if youre used to north american black diamonds , there wont be anything to worry you in zermatt except for maybe the unpisted itineraries Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy