Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The impossible question - Morzine/Les Gets this April

Poster: A snowHead
I know these questions are impossible to answer with confidence, but I'm just looking for a gut instinct. We have just come back from an awesome week in Tignes. My second week in the Alps, and my gfs first time. We want to get out to the Alps again before the season ends, and my gf's sister and husband are booked for a week in Morzine from the 6th to 14th April with their kids.

We are thinking of joining them for 4 days at the end of the week after they have said they'd love to have us out there. My only worry is that Tignes was incredible mild when we were there, and generally this year looks to be milder than most on record? Given Morzine's lower altitude, I can't help but feel that early to mid April is going to be pushing it for good conditions. I know there is access to Avoriaz which is a bit higher up, but then if that's the only decent snow available, I guess that could be quite crowded?

Despite the fact that we would love to join the others in Morzine, I can't help feel we'd be better off heading back to Tignes or Val d'Isere instead to get a proper fix! Last year was a bumper time for snow in Les Gets and Morzine around April from what I've read and conditions were great, but given the weather this year, I don't know if its quite a sure thing?

Any thoughts?! I suspect I know what the answer will be!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It depends how important the quality of skiing is to you. If you happy to cruise around on a limited number of runs, with piste conditions 'a bit ropey' instead enjoying the mountains and the company of the people you are skiing with then it would be no problem. If you want to maximise your skiing pleasure then you should plan accordingly. Bear in mind mid-April is always going to be pushing it but there are places to go to maximise your actual skiing.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sixspeed, there's no need to make up your mind now, is there? Wait till much nearer the time. It's low season in France, should you need to head back somewhere higher you should have no problem finding accommodation.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
at the moment snow depths are good - and the weather to date is no guide to the weather to come.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I suppose looking at the available accommodation online (hotels rather than chalets I'll admit) it seems like a lot of places are getting thin on the ground with spaces (at least at reasonable cost), so I wanted to firm something up sooner rather than later. I could book somewhere and cancel, but there would be cancellation fees.

As for the weather predictions, I guessed as much... hence the title! Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
sixspeed, don't worry about accommodation for mid April. All those websites always say only one room left at that price. Prices as likely to fall if anything closer to time
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sixspeed, also, they won't want to quote for 4 days accommodation - they deal in whole weeks. Nearer the time you might get something but you might just have to get a small apartment for a week and write off the first few days.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sixspeed, if you want to check it out a bit more and you're after a chalet, have a look on Chalets Direct, and post your requirements in the Solutions Room. I'm not sure I entirely agree with pam w about everywhere only wanting bookings of a full week. I've never had any difficulty booking short breaks outside of the peak season, even quite far in advance.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hells Bells, they're reluctant, in our neck of the woods - I once failed to book for one night, on the day, anywhere in Les Saisies in the deadest of mid Januarys, even in the expensive 3 star hotel which was definitely not full. Morzine is probably more of a "short break" destination though but there should be plenty of availability in Morzine in April, so I thought that could be the reason it's not showing up on the OP's searches.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm getting loads of private chalet emails in Morzine with short break deals for Easter and April in general.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ok, this is a bit more reassuring. Smile I think I'll look to sit on it for a while longer then, and decide nearer the time!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sixspeed, remember it is the forst week of th Easter holidays, that is why accomodation is looking thin
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Go to chalets direct. There will be lots of offers for just 4 days. Many chalets have spare beds that need filling. I have done this for last 2 years and get some decent offers in catered chalets with transfers included.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks Mike! Will give them a shout! Smile
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I was in Morzine in January and am going back next week (well, sort of... I'm actually going to Champery next week).

At the end of March, I am going to Tignes.

Much as I love the place, as the season has been so mild, I would be amazed if there was much snow in Morzine come April.

In your situation, I would book somewhere high and more snow sure. Those will be the places that are really getting booked up right now!!
snow report
bar shaker, these have been my thoughts exactly. Tbf, i've covered myself for a couple of weeks, and have a reservation in both Tignes and Morzine at the moment, with free cancellation up to around 10th March. Will need to make a decision with those then, either keep one, or dump both and go for a very last minute offering!
snow report
bar shaker,

A. The general mildness is no sure indicator of what's to come and

B. here's been quite enough precip recently that (i think) piste snow depths are probably around seasonal norms

But nothing gets away from mid April being well into spring and all the delights that should accompany it - long late lunches on terraces in the sun, not having to be out of bed by the crack of because it'll be crunchy until 10h00, etc. None of which is bad, in my book!
snow conditions
L'enneigement est généralement excédentaire dans les massifs des Alpes du Nord quelle que soit l'altitude.
Dans le détail, l'enneigement est toutefois simplement normal en Maurienne et en Vanoise, et légèrement déficitaire en Haute-Tarentaise où on relève quand même 1,80 m à la station automatique du Chevril (2560 m).

http://www.meteofrance.fr/climat-passe-et-futur/bilans-climatiques/bilan-2014/point-enneigement

So, Meteo France reckon snow cover is good, or very good.
ski holidays
Snow cover above 1500m is at, or above, the seasonal norms in morzine. And that's the height of the top of the pleney. If that's a bit sketchy there is avoriaz. I like the town and have friends there, so I'll be back on the 8th April for 5 days regardless. Not looked at accommodation yet either but I'll find a couch to sleep on if there is any kind of struggle.

Long sunny lunches, fun on spring snow, beers outside in the evening, t-shirt boarding. The same chance it could be blizzarding however...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy