Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Time for new boot liners and/or footbeds?

Poster: A snowHead
I h ave had my boots about 4 years and they have done 5 or 6 weeks in the mountains and countless hours of fridge skiing with no problem at all, a day skiing in them and my feet feel no worse than a day hiking in well broken in walking boots. Until tonight that is, 2 3/4 hours at Tamworth, it was pretty empty so it was a session of quite fast skiing going harder than normal for the fridge but nothing too exceptional. I did notice I was doing the ankle buckles tighter than normal (in fact by the end had them as tight as possible without fiddling with the micro adjust, they are normally tight enough with a couple of notches left to tighten them more) but all seemed fine till I took them off when I could hardly stand up! 2 hrs later I am still hobbling around with pain in outside edge of my right foot arch and about where calf and ankle meet in my left leg.
So what do snowheads think? Time to get some new liners and footbeds? Or just something freaky happening tonight and normal service resumed next time?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Done them up too tight causing circulation issues leading to muscle damage. Not using the micro adjust is just stupid. Skiing at sea level makes the boot looser than at altitude; 6 weeks is nowhere near enough to wear out a liner. If you'd left them that tight all day in the mountains I'll wager your feet would be numb and cold but because it's a dome you don't realise they're too tight.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't think it was a circulation issue as no sign of circulation issues like cold, numbness or pins and needles, I don't think they were too tight as even done all the way up there was still space for couple of fingers down the back as there usually is when done up a couple of notches looser. In fact everything seemed normal while wearing them.
As to usage the fridge skiing adds up to something similar to the mountain skiing so I'd say total use is in the region of 10-12 weeks and the couple of notches left is the normal fridge setting so no altitude effects to factor in.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
I don't think it was a circulation issue as no sign of circulation issues like cold, numbness or pins and needles
Takes 1-2 hours for those symptoms to kick in. If you're messing with them all the time, you haven't worn them long enough to realise.
Quote:
I don't think they were too tight as even done all the way up there was still space for couple of fingers down the back
Down the back of where? The top of the shell? Leaning forward; stood neutrally, what? If you can get two fingers down the back of your heel with the liner in they're too big, whether done up or not. Do a shell check.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Raceplate, Thanks for the suggestions, I was skiing just under 3 hrs and didn't adjust them after the first couple runs so probably time for them to kick in, shell check comes out at 15mm (unless my feet have shrunk!) two fingers side by side (so only 1 finger thick) is between my calf and top of the boot stood up and flexed forward, how my first instructor told me to check if my boots were done up right and the guide I've used ever since no problem.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
So they're the right size, the liner's not worn out, so what's left? You've done them up too tight, IME.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tightness round my leg and foot felt the same as usual and no more than usual pressure needed to do them up even though the buckles were done up more than normal hence why I am confused!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Do you use the same thickness socks everytime. ? (i.e. the exact same manufacturer and sock 'model')

Some boot liners are for want of a better technical term "cräp". It's possible they have packed out quickly which has led you to rachet the buckles more and more shut each time. If you are having such problems it's probably not a bad investment to put some decent thermofit type liners in there. Having said that it might also be that a footbed will help. It could be that the shell doesn't really fit your foot that well and now the liner has packed out the mismatch is begining to show.

You could use advice from the internet or get yourself down to http://www.solutions4feet.com/ and let the experts look at your boots / feet.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks, yep it always Teko freeride world tour socks. The liners are Sidas Confomables but if I remember right Ellis Brigham were replacing all stock liners with these when I bought my boots so while better than standard I don't imagine they are the best available either. They are custom moulded footbeds but given they are 4years old give or take a few weeks I wonder if my foot has changed enough that they don't quite fit properly.
As well as the trips to mountains I've used the boots for several hours a month fridge skiing most months since I've had them and thinking back on odd occasions in the past I've needed the ankle buckles done all the way up (foot buckles were only done up enough to stop them coming undone as usual last night) but never had a problem with even 1 foot before last night (still rather sore this morning) so yep I think maybe a trip to see a boot fitter is called for as it would seem something has changed in either my boots or my feet!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
sounds like the several hours a month in a fridge have mounted up, so the boots have probably had more use than you think

if the shell is in good condition then it is worth putting an aftermarket liner in to give more life...some can be moved from shell to shell so will outlast the current shell and move to a new one in the future
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks CEM, I guess it is the fridge time mounting up, thinking about it some more it probably is about the same as mountain time all told. The shell (Atomic Hawkz 100) has the usual scrapes and scratches but it seems every bit as structurally sound as it was new. While I was thinking of maybe some zipfits or similar Lockwoods can do me replacement Hawkz liners for £50 inc moulding and given I seem to have misremembered and the current linings are Atomic branded Comform'ables guess I'll do that. I'm sure Robin will tell me if the shells need replacing and good as Zipfits seem to be I somehow doubt its worth a pretty average skier like me paying almost 4 times the price to upgrade from something I've been perfectly happy with for the last 4 years. Maybe time for the Zipfits when these shells have reached the end of the useful life.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Or just something freaky happening tonight and normal service resumed next time?

Probably that. Have another few goes before doing anything. If problem persists then investigate.

My boots are 12 tears old and have 30 weeks of all day, hard skiing and many hours of drunken après dancing done too. Still fit like glove and still ski and dance fantastically Little Angel
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
davkt, maybe your foot has collapsed a bit?
Are you male or female? There is a reason for asking.....
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Male, though at 49 now at this point I'm not 100% if it is foot or boot that has changed but I'm sure going to a decent fitter like Lockwoods will sort that. Skied them for an hour again Wed and while not as bad probably due to the shorter time the problems were still there. If I need a smaller boot c'est la vie but will have to wait, if I can sort it for £50 great as I'm out of work at the mo but can afford that much.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ah so you won't have been pregnant then.... but it is quite possible something has changed in your feet.
Next time you go to the slope try a hire pair and see if they are any different?
snow report
Boots that were perfectly comfortable for about 12 weeks use suddenly turned into instruments of pain for me last year. I'd got new skis and was skiing harder and faster than before and it seems the combination of packed out liner and too soft flex meant that the boot had become more flexible than my ankles. Agony that took about 2 hours to get over each evening. New boots were the answer for me, but my ankles are extremely inflexible.
snow conditions
My boots suddenly became unbearably uncomfortable about 3 years ago while I was in Tignes. They were probably about 4 - 5 years old. I had to hire a pair for the rest of the week but got some replacement liners from Lockwoods and they've been ok for a further 3 years. Going to replace them when I get back to L2A in a couple of weeks, courtesy of HMRC (tax rebate) Happy
ski holidays
snowyowl, Nope but yes things change! The hire boots at Tamworth are horrible and I'm sure they'd just cause pain anyway. Lockwoods will be able to tell me what is going on I'm sure and £50 for new liners sounds a bargain (even Lockwoods said they needed to double check with Atomic as it seemed too good to be true but they have confirmed!
snow report
Just back from Lockwoods with new Atomic liners in the boots and after a quick ski at Tamworth on the way home the difference is enormous, sure I know they will settle a bit after a few hours but I'm back to having nice snug boots with the buckles done up a couple of notches and the micro adjust wound out rather than on the tightest notch with micro adjust as short as possible. Thanks Lockwoods and Atomic for a nice and pretty cheap fix
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy