Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Round-Up of this seasons All Mountain/Freeride Skis.

Poster: A snowHead
Okay, so I seem to have found bits of information relating to the top all mountain / Freeride skis to have been released this season, but all mention different products with varying degrees of satisfaction.

I thought it would be good for people to post recommendations here to collate some of the data.

What would you put forward as 'the' ski of the season?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This is a difficult topic to comment on but ....
I've been using a pair of Salomon xt800 for a couple of seasons now and although they are upstaged by being spoilt by Swiss Tim's fabulous "Kniessl Black Star MC".

The xt800 Enduro have done everything I could ask of them.
I've tested lots of different stuff and although these are not "floaters" for heliski I'm pretty pleased with them.
Because the chance for me of actually skiing the legendary champagne powder is just a dream .. powder will only occur when I have just a pair of racing skis.

These are a very heavy pair of skis with a easy adjust binding so you can lend them to your mates.
I find a lot of other light skis too chattery for me and find a heavy ski gives me more confidence.

I was going to sell them, but I realised what for? What would I use instead?
They are in good nick still and they do the job.

If I do get rid of them it would be for a pair of the "Kniessl Black Stars" or possibly "Kastle MX 78" if they were in a bargain basement.

Lets hear what other people have found good.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Blizzard brahma , great ski 9/10 in all aspects except bumps Cool
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
DrLawn, without skiing on anything else recently, so I lack comparison, I skied a set of XT 800 Enduros a few weeks back and while they were heavy in the hand, the weight disappeared as soon as you got on them. Not the fastest things edge to edge but alright. Solid through medium and fast long turns. I never felt they were getting flappy even at some serious speeds.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dabber wrote:
Blizzard brahma , great ski 9/10 in all aspects except bumps Cool

+1. Thought it was ok in bumps but then I suck in bumps Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I ve skied the Blizzard Bonafide in 187 (98mm underfoot) all-round this season and liked it a lot. I'm 185cm, 97 Kg. Based on that experience I d definitely be recommending the Brahama or the Bushwacker for a lighter person as an all mountain ski.

But there's still a lot of other skis to look at!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mishmash wrote:
I ve skied the Blizzard Bonafide in 187 (98mm underfoot) all-round this season and liked it a lot. I'm 185cm, 97 Kg. Based on that experience I d definitely be recommending the Brahama or the Bushwacker for a lighter person as an all mountain ski.

Interesting. I am currently on a pair of Bushwackers albeit the 2012 model at 88mm underfoot, and at 166cm long. I'm looking for something a bit wider and longer, but with some tip and tail rocker. (The 2012 bushwacker has only a little tip rocker). I am very happy with them however...

How do the above skis compare to something like a Movement Jam?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Or actually, the Source or Jam seeing as though they are more the width most all mountain skis are at these days...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
capability wrote:
mishmash wrote:

Interesting. I am currently on a pair of Bushwackers albeit the 2012 model at 88mm underfoot, and at 166cm long. I'm looking for something a bit wider and longer, but with some tip and tail rocker. (The 2012 bushwacker has only a little tip rocker). I am very happy with them however...

How do the above skis compare to something like a Movement Jam?

Well based on that I d def look at the slightly fatter offer at the ~100mm mark. But what are your height / weight dimensions? It my be that 166 is just toooo short!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Anybody skied The Ski from Scott?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Anybody skied The Ski from Scott?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Still using Atomic Crimson, an absolutely great versatile all terrain weapon - Love'm. they are about 4-5b yrs 15 weeks old now, so I may need to change soon. And, I must admit to having a hankering after the Kastle MX.
Intersport Brundl in Ischgl seemed to have some really good Kastle pricing (seemed a lot lower than UK) when I was there last, might have to treat myself early next season.
My son is skiing on the Salomom Enduro XT800, about 2-3 seasons old now, but they work superbly for him on all snow and terrain.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I like my Line Prophet 98's in 179 cm from last year, I don't think that this season's are any different apart from graphics. They're OK on piste and very good in powder, crud etc. I'm only about 172 cm and ideally would want something just a few cms shorter but they're fine. I do have a pair of piste skis too for completely on piste days.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spyderjon, good point , bad worker / tools and all that Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Had a good look at the skis around this year and Blizzards are definitely the flava. And most people in any off-piste (dis)order are looking to full rocker.

I don't know the Brahmas but can recommend the Bonafide Ti as good (slightly heavy, my legs were tired) ski which doesn't take no messing with conditions. Also the all round ski which was recommended which I'd love to try is the Line Sick Day in various strengths. Softer apparently but supposed to be a good dog's jewels. And then there is the Armadas ARVti are they worth a look in, (does this list date me?). I think an important consideration is what you want to ski underfoot vs radius. How much on piste will you be really even with ambitions.... I have this every year. Some all mountain however are wonderfully responsive on corduroy.

But let's get on to the Volkls, having just got last season Mantras. An oldie but a goodie. (Yes it does). They were great in all conditions and good with speed. I hate chatter. And then there is the Gotama and the rest to think about. Tis difficult without trying, but having also picked up a pair of twinnies for the off days I think I've come to the conclusion that there is never just one pair of skis. Sickening for something I'm sure. Twisted Evil

Please feel free to set me to rights... I always want to learn more!

thanks m.

snowHead
snow report
Does anyone have any views on the Atomic Theory, Salomon Q90/Q98 or Scott Punisher?
snow conditions
A mate has the Punishers and likes them a lot. He tends to ski quite fast open turns - never one for short turns, so he couldn't begin to comment. They seem to float well in powder and cut through chop. Also decent on piste. No experience of the others so can't help.

I'm currently on Salomon Lords in 177cm, which are 87mm underfoot. I'm considering going wider but don't want to overdo it as I can't be bothered to carry more than one pair on hols. I'm looking at the K2 Annex 98 - was considering the 108 but I think they might suffer on piste. Anyone any experience of these?

Thanks
Mick
latest report
Quote:

Had a good look at the skis around this year and Blizzards are definitely the flava

A good plan, impossible to list all skis with recommendations because everyone wants something different! let's just look at what's cool now!

Quick note: this is just my opinion and is therefore FACT! Also no thought has been given to the quality of the skis

What's IN for 2014 (at least in austria)

Down skis - lots of cheap deals to be had on great skis with up to date dimensions

Whitedots as always, though main customers seem to be middle aged english men with the extra cash (watch out guys that's cool suicide)

All small American boutique companies (G3, PM Gear, Ski logik, Praxis, 4Front etc.) these guys are leading the charge in dimension innovation

Black Crows - coming from chamonix makes them cool but as their own website says "Black Crows is excessively popular and absolutely aristocratic." that will be the death of their cred soon

Blizzard - very quietly started making absolutely awesome skis, a couple of years later we realised

Volkl - cool despite being german, they just keep getting things right so it's hard to argue

Not as cool as they used to be:

Armada - still for the gangsta youths but now super expensive

Kästle - was nice to have them back but although they have named 3 skis with one funny guys name they're just too posh

Black Diamond - made some stuff in china for a bit so people stopped liking them, apparently they're hgeading back to the states... they'll be cool again soon

Stöckli - not moving with the times I'm afraid

K2 - I think they've just been too popular for too long and so we got bored of them

DPS - once the mac daddies of cool, now if you see a pair the first response is to judge the owners for having more money than you

Dynafit - the bindings are now not one-of-a-kind and they skis are either too narrow or soft but the boots are still cool.. (TLT 6 = immediate points)

if you would like me to judge your skis as well just let me know!

Toofy Grin
snow report
Are Scott doing ok in your book?
snow report
Scott - Just getting their act together again, went through a period of knocking out the best planks on the mountain (Pure/Punisher/P4/Crusader) and then just sat on their back bottoms for 5 years, suddenly (without changing the names) they releases a whole bunch of new skis which are great again... it will take some time for them to win back lost faith but give it time!
snow report
Phew, no need to PX my Crusades just yet to keep up with the times. They are a pretty good all-rounder.

Thanks for your opinion (therefore FACT) Smile
snow conditions
dulcamara, Laughing

Do Moment.
snow conditions
Ahh see that's cheating, cuz everyone knows the answer!

Moment - lumped into the Yank boutique category but standing out as extra cool because they have had the audacity to flatten the ends of their skis, they produce the Bibby Pro and Belafonte which nearly no one has skied but will swear are the best due to the most extensive chinese whispers campaign ever (they make some other skis but nobody remembers them).

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 26-02-14 15:35; edited 1 time in total
latest report
dulcamara, and Atomic...

mickv, sweet, I'll consider those then as your mate seems to like to ski like me! Just wondering if they'll be a tad wide as I want them for piste, off-piste and a bit of park and trees.
snow report
Atomic - For us mere mortals (non pros) Atomic have fallen out of favour, producing a full line up of budget priced powder skis (fair's fair they're actually quite fun) they have pinned their cool hopes on the Automatic and Bent C, dishing out hundreds to any pro willing to fly the Austrian flag on as many ski videos as possible. Unfortunately it is the mighty AMER sport - big corperation strategy that has made them a bit of a supermarket ski in the age of the hipster, a time when everyone wants little-known!

(for information Amer have done the same for salomon but Arc'teryx hangs on to its cred by just being THAT good)
snow conditions
Revel8 rockered condors, all mountain super fun
Spruce Sherpa same as above and a fair bit faster Twisted Evil
snow report
Any views on the Movement Source, or the Chillout which it was superseded by? Seems a great all-rounder, and light I've heard?
ski holidays
Just had a pair of Head Rev 80's 170cm for the week in Grand Massif. I loved them. Very reactive on hard pack or soft spring snow with good turn radius. I am just progressing to off piste now and these ski's ate it up. Did some decent knee deep powder and they really looked after me and made turns I've previously found too difficult seem quite easy. My off piste confidence has really boosted and I think a good chunk of that is down to the Rev.

If I had the money and could justify spending it I would almost certainly buy a pair. Overall 10/10 from me as an all mountain ski.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy