Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Twin Tips or Piste Ski's?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys,

I've been skiing a few times over the past year and am going a few times next year so thought it was about time I got some ski's. I'm just unsure whether to go for twin tips or piste ski's. I'm mainly sticking to the pistes at the moment and envisage I will be for the next couple of years but all my ski bum mates tell me 'get twin tips maaaan, ther're totally far out'.

So are twin tips just too cool for my beginner - intermediate level ?? Or should i go with their advice.

Thanks

Carl
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowHead carlybaby69

You can get twin tips that are fantastic piste skis. They can be lots of fun. Would need some more details to recommend some specific skis.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They recommended the salomon 1080. But im open to suggestions!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
So what's your level? Height, weight? Aspirations? Need the details...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Im 14st, 6ft3. I'm hangin around with boarders mostly so in time I guess I would love to be able to try some tricks. But I guess thats a year or so off! Im still learning so dont want anything too advanced.....
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you want to ski in the park, ride backwards, rails etc then twintips are a good idea.

Some twintips also work very well as an all round ski for on/off piste.

So if you want a ski that suits you, I'd suggest demoing a few pairs inc twin tips on your next trip, then decide.

regards,

greg
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Easy. Volkl Karma. 185cm.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Volkl karma's seem good but very advanced and no good for piste skiing. Do you think I'm too heavy for a 1080?....Got this from ski review

Intermediate-Expert-A revised graphic and name for this season, they are the original 1080 from last year that was so immensely popular and that revolutionized skiing. You can hit any jump, Candide Thovex the world's best free-skier used to use them, plus you can ski anywhere with the useable shape and forgiving flex, they are an intermediates dream in all conditions, great for a first powder outing, and great fun for both expert and holiday skiers alike.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
parlor wrote:

C'mon Parlor, 177 is the puppy.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I'm mainly sticking to the pistes at the moment and envisage I will be for the next couple of years but all my ski bum mates tell me 'get twin tips maaaan

If you are sticking to the pistes for the next coupla years then I don't see the point in twin-tips. HOWEVER, if you really want twin-tips, then I understand that K2 Public Enemies are v. good and may suit you more than the 1080's.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
parlor wrote:

C'mon Parlor, 177 is the puppy.

Karma's rock (and yes, 177 is the way to go (for me at least! snowHead )) but definitely not an beginner/intermediate ski, it's way too stiff/energetic/big.
I used to have some 1080s (the previous version, now equivalent to 1080 thruster(!) I think) before I got good Karma, they are much more forgiving and a great allround ski so long as you don't want to really hammer it.

Twin tips are good if you do any billy goating, or like to ski/take-off/land backwards, other than that they are good for spraying anyone skiing behind you - you can enhance this effect on cat tracks by skiing on both the outside edges

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 1-12-05 9:37; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
carlybaby69 wrote:
The Volkl karma's seem good but very advanced and no good for piste skiing. Do you think I'm too heavy for a 1080?....Got this from ski review

Intermediate-Expert-A revised graphic and name for this season, they are the original 1080 from last year that was so immensely popular and that revolutionized skiing. .

"revolutionized skiing" rolling eyes where was that review? I'd love to see how they explain that claim Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sure. The best thing to do is to test all the skis you can get your hands on.

Test Solly 1080s, Atomic Stomp and Armarda ARV. Then buy Karmas. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
14st and 6ft3? If you wanna be a puppy lover then go for a 177, if you wanna be a dawg get the 85s...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm 13.5st and 6ft1, so quite similar and I've skiied on 171cm 1080s for the last few years with no problems. Great ski Very Happy . I've tried the Pocket rockets, but they seem a little more awkward when on the piste / in the park (they are certainly heavier).

I don't see the sense in going for longer skis, isn't that a throw back to the 1980s?

Only thing is I hire them every time, so this year I thought I may aswell spend a few pennies and buy the thruster (new name for 1080). Am I right in thinking that in Andorra all goods are tax free for Puzzled - first time to the pyrenees for me.
ski holidays
I'm 13.5st and 6ft1, so quite similar and I've skiied on 171cm 1080s for the last few years with no problems. Great ski Very Happy . I've tried the Pocket rockets, but they seem a little more awkward when on the piste / in the park (they are certainly heavier).

I don't see the sense in going for longer skis, isn't that a throw back to the 1980s?

Only thing is I hire them every time, so this year I thought I may aswell spend a few pennies and buy the thruster (new name for 1080). Am I right in thinking that in Andorra all goods are tax free for Puzzled - first time to the pyrenees for me.
latest report
Head Mojo90 in 176
snow report
Wouldnt go shorter than 174 at your height/weight

If your wanting a ski that you can ski piste/pow with occasional park stuff on then go for any of the following
K2 public enemy
Line chronic / chronic wide
Line prophet 80
Head mojo 80
Volkl karma (this is stiff in twin terms and may be a bit of a handful)
Armada ARV (May be a bit fat for you to handle though) AR5 is a good park/ mountain ski but wouldnt want to use it as a primary ski

However if your wanting to get in the park and stand/sit around all day without actually carving turns go for the following
K2 Fujative
Line invader
Armada AR5
Armada T-Hall

Then if your wanting a powder/piste twin theres a whole load of others to consider

Theres also companys like Ninthward and Liberty to consider, not ridden them so cant advise but hear some good stuff about them.

Remember theres more to twins than 1080s and its best to try as many as you can as what i like may feel like a bag of spanners to you and its not about graphics on the ski and ignore the pro ho hype that surrounds most twins too

Cheers
ski holidays
carlybaby69,
Quote:

Intermediate-Expert-A revised graphic and name for this season, they are the original 1080 from last year that was so immensely popular and that revolutionized skiing.

Aren't twintips SOOOOooooo 1970s?

Is there much difference between compacts and "modern" carvers? I'm speaking as someone who still swears his 205 Blizzard Firebird Competition RSs circa 1984 model are much the best all-round skis he ever had, narrowly followed by 171 Atomic SL11s 2003 model.
ski holidays
Thanks for all the response guys. I particulary like the sound / reviews of the K2 Public Enemy. These seem a good all rounder and within my skill range. Any objections?
snow conditions
I found this years better than last years enemys, they are a bit stiffer and felt more responsive when putting the hammer down.

Like i say though, try them first, alright if its at a snowdome its not a true reflection buyt it gives you an idea.

One thing if you do get the public enemys you need to consider the mounting point, this will change how the ski handles and will depend on your use of them.

If your using them for all mountain cruising and pow mount them +3 or +4
snow report
Hi

I'm enjoying reading this thread, hope you all don't mind if I ask a few questions.

Can anyone offer me any advice for a twin tip that I can ski both Piste and off piste (I'm going to be trying a bit more of this) also like bumps, I'm not bothered about the park. I'm 6foot2 and am only about 9 stone. I've been skiing for over a decade and consider myself Advanced, I'm currently skiing Rossignol RPM's at 170, but I fancy a shorter ski mainly because of my weight - am I wrong?? I also like a bit of speed, I'd like something I'd enjoy skiing on that lets you speed or cruise, ski the bumps and have a few off piste/powder excurtions. Please help.

If anyone could give me any pointers or give me a few makes/types of ski to demo it would be great because I'm Canada (Panorama/Banff/Kicking Horse) bound in January and I love to have new skis in tow.

Cheers

Alpinebullit
latest report
Recommending stiff, advanced skiis to someone who has only skied a few times = a bad idea. Something easier to handle/learn proper technique on like a 1080 or a B2 would be a better choice in my opinion. When he learns to carve on something like the Karmas, he'll probably just be riding the sidecut without really being able to flex the ski properly to vary turn radius.
ski holidays
Alpinebullit wrote:

Can anyone offer me any advice for a twin tip ...I'm not bothered about the park.

why a twintip if you're not going in the park? lots of riding switch?
snow report
carlybaby69, the Public Enemy is an excellent ski for all round. 1080 is a Salomon so pay extra for nothing! You should also check out the Scott P3 which is similar to the Public Enemy and the Rossignol Scratch FS. The new one is stiffer and wider than last year's model, is excellent off piste and reasonable on (for a park ski). However, at the end of the day you should try everything you can get your hands on before you buy any of them.

ps: I hate twin tips - they don't lean against walls well and they never fit in ski racks!!!!

Alpinebullit, Scratch FS are excellent in bumps.
ski holidays
easiski,

Will I struggle with my weight with a 1080?
latest report
ponder, the guy is 13.5 stone and 6'3". Suddenly it's not a stiff ski.

Alpinebullit. Being light you might want to try something like a Pocket Rocket (1080 GUN) or Seth Vicous. You'll be able to bend them and they have enough underfoot for some fun.
snow report
I speed-read this thread so pls forgive me if someone has mentioned this before but it is worth mentioning that on most twin tips the effective running lenght of the base is about 6cm shorter than advertised b/c of the tail (ie length is normally measured running a tape measure across the top sheet). Many skis these days are twin design b/c of the coolness factor, they are not necessarily park skis but often they are aimed at off piste huksters, so they are also very good for general off piste as they have fatter dimensions.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Soooooo....Coz im a big f**ka Public Enemies seem a good choice????.....going once.....
snow report
No.

As good as Public Enemies may be, I've skied better.

This years is stiffer than last years, but I also think that it's also less responsive, and you have to work very hard to make it perform.

I tested it earlier this year back to back with other skis (Lines, Heads, Priors, Movements etc.) and was dissapointed.

By all means give it a demo. The 1080's are going to be too soft for you.

My reccomendations? Head Mojo90 or Volkl Karma. At a 176ish length.
ski holidays
Carlybaby69

Id go for the enemies, Im 6'1 and pushing 15st and the 179 enemies felt fine to me. I ride line 177s and no probs,

Parlor

I struggled to flex the tails of the vicious and ive got 6 stone on alpinebuilt, its not that soft. Gunlabs are silly money.

Alpinebuilt
At 6'2 and 9 stone i think you might struggle to handle long fat skis, not a dig at ability just that you lack weight to get the ski flexing. If you want a fat ski to flex get the Maden AK
latest report
veeeight wrote:

My reccomendations? Head Mojo90 or Volkl Karma. At a 176ish length.

Once again I'd advise caution on the Volkl Karmas - they are stiff, and they can store up a lot of energy, this can seriously catch you out if you're not really on top of them and skiing them hard (big or not - I'm not 6'3, but pushing on 13st occasionally rolling eyes ). They are also relatively fat (89mm?) so harder to get from edge to edge and less turny - might not be what you want if you're just getting used to carving on piste.
Personally I love them, I ski everywhere on them, even done race training on them (and they work surprisingly well if you're patient).
Best thing is to go and try a few and see what works
ski holidays
My post earlier on should have read I'm not bothered about thr park at the moment but it may come.

Kruked cheers for the advice on flex thats whats troubling me.

I'm really struggling to think of what skis to go for, its my weight thats causing the problem on ski choice thats why I'm thinking of going for skis shorter than 170 but longer than 160.

Would the bandit b2 or b3 be an option for me, them you've got the 1080 thruster and the k2 crossfire and apache x and the nordica hot rods, but I don't know if im looking at the wrong skis and I think the stokli stormriders may be to much for me to handle and then also i've been recommended the atomic metrons.

I don't know what to do Can anyone offer me anymore help. Puzzled
ski holidays
If flex is an issue tehn id avoid the k2s you listed, big heavy numb lumps in my opinion.

From what I can see there is a bit of an obsession with metrons and b2s on here. Plus theres more to life than 1080s, its sort of the ford focus of twins, does its job but a bit boring and dated

Try PEs in 164 if you want a twin and its your only ski. However if you can afford to run more than one pair and want a park ski then just buy the Fujative, its cheap as hell too. Still doesnt solve the first ski issue though
snow report
Scott Aztec Pro's. Thats what i went for in the end. : Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy