Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How old for ski poles

Poster: A snowHead
My daughter is asking how old does she need to be before she can have the ski poles?

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think my daughter used them from when she was 5. I think it is Flocon or 1 star level but can't remember which.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well she is 7 so maybe this time around? She didn't have them last she was in sprite beginners I have a feeling it was Ourson? I have sent Ellie to try and find it. Thanks
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Depends on your daughter - in Les Houches the local kids anywhere between 2 and never Wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
When she can use them and not drop them from a chair lift, get them wedged under lift safety bar, use them as a light saber with younger brother, coordinate it so that she can hold them and use a button lift etc. etc. etc. The light saber bit was my youngest two - not suggesting your daughter would do it!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Its more to do with ability rather than age. At 7, if shes doing linked snowplough turns down greens then I would say yes. My daughter had them last hol (just turned 7).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Must admit that was what I thought but wasn't sure. I will let her know..... When she is good enough Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Depends on the instructor too, some like them to have them and some don't.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
NickyJ, does she happily carry her own skis? If shecan take the poles too, why not? But some instructors will insist they are left behind.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
NickyJ, does she happily carry her own skis? If shecan take the poles too, why not? But some instructors will insist they are left behind.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, she does indeed, must admit was quite impressed watching her leading the way of the sprites class toward the lesson, carrying her skis while others were struggling quite a way behind her.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The mushette wanted them and wanted them and wanted them and then couldn't wait to leave them behind for dad to look after rolling eyes
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My daughter was a round six, it was almost like a rite of passage to get her poles!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jr said he wanted some, so we got some. Age 3. Sometimes ski with, often without. He doesn't really do much with them, but can push along on the flat, which saves me a job.

He went through a brief stage of only wanting one of them, while I had to hold the other.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

The mushette wanted them and wanted them and wanted them and then couldn't wait to leave them behind for dad to look after

ski poles are not just for Christmas,......
snow report
Mine were 6 and nearly 8, in their third week on snow, and the instructor said half way through the week that they ought to have them now. They were doing their own 'private ski school' with an ESF instructor - 2 hours per day, 5 days, 3 kids, so we got a couple of hours a day to blast, and they learnt something. Actually, I'm not sure how much tuition they really got, but they had a really good time and it was cheaper than 6 days group lessons.
I suspect it's more to do with how they ski than how old they are - you see too many small kids with ski poles that just get held vertically in front of them and look like an accident waiting to happen!
ski holidays
I generally allow children to have poles once they are skiing almost parallel and are getting good enough to tackle terrain where they may actually need them as a third point of balance. There's one particular groomed run that I use to "test" their ability. They also have to be coordinated enough to deal with them, which is usually shown by being able to put their gloves (not mittens) on completely by themselves. Up until that point I'll also not take my poles, so I set a good example for them to follow.
ski holidays
Our son 'progressed' to poles when moved up to the ESF First star level a couple of weeks ago. By the end of the week he was parallel skiing and stopping, so I guess it depends on their own skiing level. Also, as well pointed out above, whether they can use lifts without endangering themselves or others and being able to take care of their own skis and poles, ie carry.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy