Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Should we cancel our trip to La Tania?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I'm booked in with fiance to go to La Tania on the 23rd March. Unfortunately Pam has a suspected bone spur in her knee, which results in some acute pain at certain angles. Physio says she shouldn't ski and with us getting married in July she understandably isn't keen on risking things.

Pam says we should still go, with her just chilling out and me getting my fill of the snow. We can probably make an insurance claim for the cost of holiday and ski lessons already paid for.

I'm not too keen on skiing solo for 6 days, even with a few private lessons. We are staying in a hotel, not a chalet so meeting other ski buddies might be limited. This will only be my 3rd week so don't want to be slowing people down etc.

Would be keen to hear what people think??
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dibergio, cancel. Neither of you will have much fun.
Get the insurance and spend the money on your honeymoon.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Either that or take a mate instead.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jonpim, +1 Not a lot for a non-skier to do in La Tania!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you go you could have group lessons for a week. Sure you will find some one from your group to ski with pm. I wouldnt have thought you would get a refund. La Tania is a little quiet. Pam could come up on the bus to meet you at 1850 though.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Have you thought about a snow holiday without the skiing?

How about having a few half days skiing, and then (depending on her leg) doing snow shoeing, ice skating, snowy walks, massage, hot tub, dog sledding, parapente etc etc. If you have a car there are some pretty nice places to explore in the area too - annecy etc.

There are also loads of nice restaurants and bars in the area for long, chilled lunches.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No way i'd cancel. A week of solo skiing/making new friends without the old ball and chain sounds fantastic.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Is there any chance of changing resort/accommodation? If you stayed somewhere else with swimming spa facilities maybe Pam could enjoy that instead. If you are only in your third week of skiing why don't you book yourself in for morning adult ski school and then you might make friends with people at the same level who you could ski in the afternoons with.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What does Pam want? I have been in situations where it was under question whether I will be able to ski (in fact last 2 ski holidays and this coming one!) over my knees, my husband has questioned whether we should go - however my few point is I would much rather still have a week in the mountains even if I Am unable to ski or only able to manage an hours or so a day, than not ever visit them again. I am praying I will be able to but if I don't I will still have a lovely break and enjoy the walks, mountain air, views as so on.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
No way i'd cancel. A week of solo skiing/making new friends without the old ball and chain sounds fantastic.
I'd suggest that that's entirely dependent on one's relationship with the ball and chain wink . I love skiing (biking/hiking etc) with Mrs MA and, being a gregarious type overall, didn't really enjoy a solo ski day that was forced on me years ago in Tignes when she had food poisoning. We once cancelled a March week in Switzerland when she broke her wrist mountain biking - and had a lovely warm week climbing mountains in Majorca instead Very Happy.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

What does Pam want?

that is the key question! But the suggestion to book into a week of lessons is good too - get some recommendations here as to which ski school is best.

Parapenting is probably contra-indicated for someone who is not supposed to ski; landings can be quite jarring. And all those sledding and massage things cost lots of money. Cancelling, if you can get your money back, sounds a good option.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Go - life's too short to not ski when you are physically able unless you are quite confident that you'll still have enough time to claw back the extra ski trip post marriage.

Oh and I wouldn't take my medical advice do's & don'ts from a physio, informed surgeon and even then push them to say definitively "You absolutely should not go skiing". Anything else and they are simply ambivalent at worst (important for your insurance wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
fatbob wrote:
Go - life's too short to not ski when you are physically able unless you are quite confident that you'll still have enough time to claw back the extra ski trip post marriage.

Oh and I wouldn't take my medical advice do's & don'ts from a physio, informed surgeon and even then push them to say definitively "You absolutely should not go skiing". Anything else and they are simply ambivalent at worst (important for your insurance wink

I disgree...... but only because my surgeon who operated said never ski again and the physio said "yes she is confident that I Can ski and doesn't agree with surgeon"
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NickyJ, agreed, the surgeon who picked up my care in the UK didn't have a clue whether I should ski or not. Even our very own Jonathan Bell wanted his physio to clear me to ski on the Return to Ski day last year.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I would probably cancel just because there really isn't that much to do in La Tania for a non-skier tbh. Maybe you could go somewhere else instead? Or if you could go with a friend instead that would solve the problem.

Group lessons is a good suggestion if you do decide to go and then you could meet your fiancee for lunch. She could go snowshoeing a day or two maybe if she is ok with that sort of exercise.
snow conditions
Leave her at home, I'm available to go with you & prepared to pay up to £50 for the week Toofy Grin
ski holidays
It depends how much she loves skiing. If she's a keen skier, being stuck in a resort with not much to do and unable to ski would be both depressing and very boring.

However, if she's happy just being in the mountains and chilling out/reading/swimming then I'd still go, and you could come back meet her for lunch every day, and maybe do shorter ski days so she spends less time alone.

It's whatever works fo you to.

Personally, I think I'd cancel. I'd hate to go to a ski resort and not ski (when everyone else is!).
ski holidays
Thanks for the feedback guys. The idea of cancelling (we should be able to claim) doesn't sit well with either of us, so unless she needs an op or it gets worse, we'll probably go.

As people have suggested, I'll probably book into Ski school. Pam can have massive lie ins (she loves sleep), and then soak up the amazing scenery. We are staying at Hotel Montana which has a small pool and sauna/steam room, plus as you say, Courcheval isn't far.

She mentioned she could get a lift pass for walkers, and that would cover some of the lifts on the mountain. Does anyone have experience of this? How far can she get up, and more importantly down on lifts/gondolas etc??
snow report
I stayed at the Montana a few weeks ago and there were quite a few guests there that were non skiers. The hotel pool had aqua aerobics and other activities running in the mornings. I can't recall if the Gondola out of La tania has a restaurant near the top - think it might so she could go up and down that! As someone else has suggested the free bus runs into Courcheval so she could meet you in either 1850 or 1650 for lunch. There are more walking routes there too. Think a free bus also runs to meribel during high season. The Montana is a chalet hotel and I met other guests there that I skied with during the holiday.

Go and have a great time - I wish I was going back!
snow conditions
I hurt my knee 2 days into a ski trip to La Tania last year. I struggled to find things to do, but I was barely able to walk. I hobbled my way down to the main shops/bars are at the bottom of the nursery slope one afternoon. I sat there nursing a coffee/beer and friends stopped to say hi when they past. I had a good book, and it was sunny, so a pleasant afternoon. There's not much of a view from there though.

You can get up and down on the Gondola with a walker pass, and there is a restaurant at the top, which has good views.

The bus to La Paz and Corchaevel is straightforward, and there are plenty more shops and bars etc there. I would have explored more if I'd been more mobile.

I do remember seeing snow-shoe tour groups, so that may be an option.
latest report
Dibergio, We have been to La Tania for a few years now and although my wife does ski, she nevers does a full day and has done some of the following (sometimes with the kids who have stopped ski ing during the day becuase of poor weather).

1. Bus to La Praz - the bus goes from La Tania once an hour from early to late. A nice village where the ski jump is. Can have a bit of a wander etc
2. Bus to 1850 - ice skating from 2pm each day. Some expensive shops to look through the window and see the sights of Russians in fur etc
3. Use the walkers pass - gondola from La Tania to meet for lunch at the resaurant at the top
4. Use walkers pass to get to the top of the lifts above 1850. This gets you via two gondolas and the cable car to 2900m. When my kids were little and in child care this was one of the trips they did. If the weather is good it is an amazing view. Obviously need to get the bus to 1850 first from La Tania. The bus stop is just underneath the main gondola area, you just walk up the stairs
5. If her knee is ok, there are a number of snow shoe walks around La Tania - the tourist office has a map with the different grades of walks
6. Again if the knee is ok, there is a sledge run from 1850 to 1550. You need to hire a sledge (probably cheaper to hire in La Tania and then take it on the bus).

I dont think the Meribel bus will be running while you are there. We use that when we go to get to the swimming pool in Meribel - the new one in 1550 for next season will hopefully be open when we next go

So if you get yourself in a group lesson for the morning she can have a lie in and then meet you at various points in La Tania or Courchevel.

I would say go and enjoy the trip in the mountains.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

What does Pam want?

that is the key question!

You would say that!
latest report
Pedantica wrote:
Not a lot for a non-skier to do in La Tania!

We've just booked LT specifically because Wifehole (who won't be skiing this time) really likes it! Go figure...
snow report
Blow yr intended out and take a mate......after a few years married you would
snow report
Dibergio, check the insurance position. Some of the activities suggested (especially sledging) can be quite tough on the knees, and other parts. Worst snow-sport injury in our family (badly smashed ankle) was toboganning. The impact that did that would have done a poorly knee no good at all.
snow conditions
Both go! There are some great suggestions here. Fwiw I would rather go to a ski resort and read books and enjoy spring sunshine than be at my desk!
snow report
We also stayed at La Montana a few weeks ago. It's worth pointing out that La Tania and the hotel are in an excellent position if you want to ski down for lunch a couple of times to meet your fiance (providing you're not over at the extremes of the 3V). They do a great Tartiflette in La Taiga (down the lift behind the Montana) The run into the village is fab (Folyeres
http://youtube.com/v/ACvDPCyiO8I - La Montana is the hotel to the left after the bridge). There's also a decent restaurant at the top of the La Tania lift (http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g1937970-d2569465-Reviews-Le_Bouc_Blanc-La_Tania_Savoie_Rhone_Alpes.html). On another day she could bus it to Courchevel as suggested above.

If you're skiing alone then it might be worth asking the reps if there's someone else in the same position that you could buddy up with?
snow conditions
PeteMan wrote:
bus it to Courchevel as suggested above.

Bus to 1550 and then Grangettes gondola ride to 1850 looks a more appealing journey than a bus all the way there...

Foleyres is an amazing piste. Apart from that icy bit. You know the bit.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mr Pieholeo, Where do you stay in LT?
snow conditions
Ahhh, Folyeres - I miss it! Was in La Tania a couple of weeks ago and am suffering serious ski/mountain withdrawal symptoms at the moment.

Glad to hear that you will probably not be cancelling your trip - hope you meet others to ski with, and that Pam has a good time despite the knee injury (I'd happily return to LT tomorrow even if I couldn't ski!).
ski holidays
Quote:

I would rather go to a ski resort and read books and enjoy spring sunshine than be at my desk!

Wouldn't we all? But that's not the choice here - the choice is go on a holiday now, with the OP's partner injured and unable to do a lot, or cancel and use the dosh to go on a holiday together later.
snow report
PeteMan wrote:
Mr Pieholeo, Where do you stay in LT?

Have done chalets with Ski Magic twice, who are excellent and I mention them wherever possible so thanks for the opportunity.

Self catering private apartment this time round. Because baby.
snow report
La Tania is a nice (if small) place. Loads to do in the area but as a place for just 'hanging out' and watching the world go by has plenty of options too.

A member of our group didn't ski and just hung out. He did have skis he's just too fat and too lazy.
latest report
Not so sure that insurance will pay out if you cancel, a lot of policies only cover situation where someone can't travel, not can't ski, you'd better check small print. Got caught by that last New Year when son broke elbow. Just had to let him ski instead Smile
snow conditions
Def go!

Soudns like a nice hotel with a pool and spa.

Book yourself into morning only ski school and Pam can have a lie in, lazy breakfast, chill in the pool and steam room, read, enjoy the mountain atmosphere and come nad meet you for lunch etc

I've been to a ski resort when recovering from an illness and I was happier to be in the mountains with my friends and not skiing than being at home alone!
snow report
Def go!

Soudns like a nice hotel with a pool and spa.

Book yourself into morning only ski school and Pam can have a lie in, lazy breakfast, chill in the pool and steam room, read, enjoy the mountain atmosphere and come nad meet you for lunch etc

I've been to a ski resort when recovering from an illness and I was happier to be in the mountains with my friends and not skiing than being at home alone!
snow report
Cancel, claim on insurance. Then book a cheap get away for yourself (and any mates)

No that's mean. Ask Pam - its her call! and if you go, contact SH forum members who are in the area.
snow conditions
The pool at hotel montana is small. More like a large bath. I like La tania though you could also meet for lunch at Pub le ski lodge.
latest report
Rossignolbloke wrote:
The pool at hotel montana is small. More like a large bath. I like La tania though you could also meet for lunch at Pub le ski lodge.

Agreed. There's a hot tub as well from which you can switch the skiers passing!
snow report
I was in La Tania with my wife and toddler a few weeks ago. She got a pedestrian pass (about 60euros) and met us at various points around courchevel for lunch (Bous blanc at top of la tania gondola was the favourite!). She preferred changing at le praz and getting the gondola up to 1850 from there rather than the 30 minute bus journey!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy