Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowboarder looking to learn to ski again

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
First post from a long time forum lurker so be gentle Smile

I've spent the last 15 years boarding, but am now considering learning to ski again. Like most boarders of a certain vintage I learnt to ski first before switching to the board. My kids are now learning to ski at Castleford and I'm starting to plan a week away in 2015 so my thoughts were that I want to be able to ski rather than board.

So a few questions,

Will any of my snowboarding experience help or should I just expect to start from scratch again ?
Does anyone have small kids that ski and parents that board ? What are the on slope logistics like ? I have visions of me getting my bindings sorted whilst a child disappears off into the distance Smile
Has anyone done the learn to ski in a day at Castleford ?

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would imagine that you would pick skiing up more quickly than someone who has never skied, people I ahve seen who have skied, even 20 years ago tend to get on better than people who have never skied. A lot of the skils of snowboarding will transfer over as well, even just being used to sliding on snow can be a massive help. That said I would still get soem lessons. You probably could strap some skis on and try and work it out yourself but with a few lessons to give you an idea of the movements you want to make and point out any mistakes you are making will be really helpful and probably ensure you are skiing to a reasonable standard quite quickly.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Vessigaud, We at the ripe old age of 40++ Embarassed Embarassed decided to learn to board after many years skiing. It has nearly killed us, however we have persevered and we can now board. I am biased but I personally believe learning to ski is a piece of wee wee compared to learning to ski. Mastering either, well thats a different question.

If you have skied and can baord well you will be fine. Personally I would suggest that the 1st morning book yourself an hour tops 2 hour private skiing lesson. Make sure you start with good habits. It won't be an issue though you will learn to hate ski boots. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Skiing is easy (you've got a spare edge to start with) and if you were at a decent standard before and understand weight distriution and sidecut from boarding you'll have a massive advantage carried over to skis. Personally I'd say spend a day getting used to the new kit then take a lesson. You might as well restore basic muscle memory off the clock.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Done learn to ski in a day at Tamworth a few years ago, hard work but great fun, but as you could ski (reasonably well?) 15 years ago I really doubt you need to go back to spending a morning sidestepping up a few meters of the bunny slope and will be bored silly well before lunch. As thefatcontroller suggested I'd say book an hours private lesson as a refresher and take it from there.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I skied about 6 weeks 25 years ago, big gap, then last 5 years on a board. And went back to skiing this season.

Was pretty wobbly for 15 mins, went and booked 2 hour private lesson, and by the end was happy being taken down black runs. Was totally exhausting two hours though, had to have a coffee break in the middle!

So a bit like riding a bike, you never really forget. Also found the feel of carving on a board carried over pretty well to skis so despite learning on straight skis it was not a problem moving to modern skis.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kerb, what made you decide to change? and is this permanent? Glad it went well. snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
To be able to take my kids out (5 and 7). They will learn on skis plus however good a rider you are you can't really look after little kids on a board. Don't think it will be permanent - as everyone knows boarding is just plain more fun than skiing Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
^this. I'm still planning on learning to ski so I can herd the groms in necessary, although both have now expressed interest in learning to snowboard like daddy. Another victory for the darksiders MWUHAHAHAaa!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
As a boarder coming to skiing you've got no fear of speed, steep slopes, or ice. And certainly no problems on any sort of lift! So even if you've never skied before you've got a pretty big head start.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the advice. The private lesson idea is something I'll look into as it's probably better use of cash than spending half a morning side slipping Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Learn in a day won't take you past snow ploughing down the main slope from the top (if you are lucky), I'd guess an hour of private instruction will take you further.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kerb wrote:
To be able to take my kids out (5 and 7). They will learn on skis plus however good a rider you are you can't really look after little kids on a board. Don't think it will be permanent - as everyone knows boarding is just plain more fun than skiing Toofy Grin

Thats a definite change I have found when on a board, your peripheral vision is very limited.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Book a private lesson, ideally with someone who was skiing years ago too!

It can help to book an instructor who has skied on the same long planks you were on those years ago; techniques have changed and hopefully you will just need to refresh some of the skills and refine some of the movements that the brain will have stored away.

I'd advise against just going out and playing and trying to work it out yourself.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So I had my first lesson last night. Did a learn in an evening session at Castleford. Decided to take a cautious approach and booked a fast track 1-2 lesson over 3 hrs

Have to admit feeling nervous starting off but the basics of understanding edges and being used to sliding around helped me progress. By the end of the session I was heading down from the top and got signed off at level 4. Very Happy

Am I the second coming of Aksel Lund Svindal ? Not yet but had a real blast and have already booked an hour on the slopes to work on what I have learnt. I plan to have a few hours on my own before going back for some more lessons.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy