Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland for 1 Day - Which Resort & Why

Poster: A snowHead
I have an option of spending a day at one of the Scottish areas next week and considering either Glencoe or Glenshee.

Never skied in Scotland before, but from what I understand Glenshee is bigger but Glencoe has bigger vertical. Any up to the minute reports on which would be best?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Haven't been to Glenshee for about 20 years but had a day in Glencoe 2 years ago. The majesty of Glencoe and it's surroundings is awesome. The skiing is pretty good too wink Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
where to go: wherever the weather is going to be best
why: have you ever been here in bad weather?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
As above, dont plan too far in advance, choose the area based on snow conditions and weather forecast the night before. All the areas have a slightly different feel, Glencoe is superb and has the least developed vibe about it, Glenshee feels the biggest (mainly because its spread across a road and has several valleys).

TBH I love all the areas but for different reasons, look at the forecast and go with an open mind.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers for the replies so far.

I do have the luxury of being able to choose which day I go, so will be looking for the best weather window. If the weather doesn't play ball I won't be going.

I was wondering if any area in particular would be better than the other - i.e. less prone to queuing, better snow, less prone to lift closures etc etc.

As I'm only there for a day I want make best of what little time I have.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The scottish resorts have suffered this year. Not for the usual reason though i.e. lack of snow, but too much wind! During this period I've been watching theresorts and Cairngorm seems to have suffered most with Nevis and Glencoe not far behind. However, Gleenshee has often been open when the others have closed.

I prefer Glenshee to the other resorts as it has a nice mix of runs and when the snow is good, it is very good. Skiing Glas Maol is a favorite of mine.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Of the two I prefer Glencoe - better scenery, more "rugged" feel, more advanced terrain. Glenshee has the more extensive terrain
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
nickr, what kind of skiing/runs do you like?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ordinarily I'd say reasonably challenging. Not bothered about skiing off piste though as I won't have any avy gear. This is likely to be my only day on snow this year, so will happy to just get some turns in to be honest, but would be good if there was something of reasonable pitch and preferably moguled.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Both are excellent, Glencoe is more rugged, facilities are basic, there are few pisted runs but lots of routes and the most interesting and varied skiing in Scotland. As runs are barely marked it can be very confusing in poor vis if you don't know it. Glenshee is a bit more tamed and there are fences etc so it is easier to find your way, there are more lifts and a good selection of areas. This year Glencoe has had ridiculous amounts of snow and faces North so tends to hold the conditions better. If the wind/vis look good I would go for Glencoe, but go with the best weather. If the weather at both looks marginal for wind then Glenshee is more likely to have something open as there are tows from the roadside. At Glencoe, if the access chair is shut the whole place is shut. In either case if you hit on a good day it will be epic, get there early because they both have quite small car parks
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Glencoe is quite challenging. When I lived there it was my fave. But only go if you have that weather window. If you do it will be magnificent.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
nickr, Glencoe then if you like more of a challenge than pisted runs!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You are right about the small amount of vertical at Glen Shee. It is a big area with several successive ups and downs, but has only about 300m vertical. Glen Coe has 450m (plus another 300m of tricky skiing on the rare occasions there is enough snow to ski to the car-park). Nevis has 550m and Cairngorm has 500m (or 600m if you walk up above the top lift to the summit, or can ski down the Ciste to the lower car park - or 700 if you do both). Scottish lifts are built on the assumption that snow starts at 650m above sea level.
Glen Shee has, in general, somewhat easier skiing than Glencoe though the Tiger run is quite steep (but the Flypaper at Glencoe is much steeper!).
Piste maps here

Glencoe above the access chairlift: (Lifts go to the ridge at the top. You can only see the top pylon and revolve of the furthest right lift)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nickr, this may give you a view of the type of skiing available at Glencoe

http://youtube.com/v/bfg2vyFg_Ps
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Is Flypaper a marked run and avalanche controlled or off piste?
snow report
nickr, Flypaper is a marked run I think. It is on the piste map as such.

I was in Glencoe this week and although visability was poor at times it was such a change from ski ing in France. It had a more desolate feel, a feeling of being "further out". No wonder they used the area in the Skyfall Bind film. We skied Nevis as well, and the whole family agreed that Glencoe was better.
snow report
I like Glencoe too.

nickr, if you look at snowballs' photo - you can more or less ski everything on that mound in front of those two skiers who couldn't afford to buy a lift pass.
ski holidays
kitenski, do you know which bit of the hill that was filmed on? I didn't recognise it.
latest report
edit - didn;t see that vid, will watch now...

edit 2 - looks to be mainly the stuff up around the main basin, maybe etive glades way? Hell of a lot of snow though so all looks smoother and flatter than when I was there!

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 21-02-14 16:58; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Mosha Marc wrote:
kitenski, do you know which bit of the hill that was filmed on? I didn't recognise it.

Err, it appears to have been filmed all over the open areas from what I Can see?? Off cliffy and off the T bars + looks like they walked to the top and maybe came down Spring Run, or given the amount of snow anything from skiers left of spring/rannoch to the tows is going to be skiable!!
snow conditions
chrisb wrote:
. We skied Nevis as well, and the whole family agreed that Glencoe was better.
If it were just the front of Nevis I'd agree, but the steep back bowl (and off piste) of Nevis makes it my favourite.

(sorry, I've put this on snowheads several times since I took it)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy