Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

'All Mountain' Ski suggestions for Europe: Rent or Buy?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm a newbie to the forum although I've used it for some helpful research in the past and have gleaned lots of useful information.

I'm 38 and have been skiing for nearly 20 years, one or two weeks a year.

I've owned skis for some time: Volkl P60s which were replaced with some Volkl Racetiger GS skis about 7 years ago. The Racetigers have served me well, although my days of predominantly skiing icy pistes with a few days of gate training have evolved into looking for fun in the bumps and powder off-piste. As such, having 67mm under foot makes deep powder a little more challenging!

Last weekend I was in Champéry and managed to break the toe binding from my Volkl skis when I ran out of talent resulting in a face-plant in powder.

With 3 days to ski it was an ideal opportunity to try some more modern and versatile skis:

What was left of the first day I skis Scott Crusades (good but I think I skied them too short and felt quite heavy). Day 2 was Dynastar Cham 87 which were great in deep powder and final day Rossignol Soul 7s which were lovely and light, nimble for their length and easy to ski in powder.

Unfortunately as there was do much snow I could see how they would perform in crud, hardback or ice (which was when my Racetigers excelled).

I Ski 1 week and a couple of long weekends per year. My wife bought skis this year (great package deal from Glisshop) so we will be travelling with a ski bag in the future. I usually service and tune my skis at home myself. So if I buy skis transporting and servicing shouldn't be an extra expense.

I like the convenience of having my own skis and not having the cost and hassle of rental- just going straight on the slopes. I'm also aware that even with a 'Jack of all trades' ski (not that there is such a thing) I miss out on having the perfect ski for changing conditions.

My first question is assuming I'm happy to always have the current season's skis, am I better buying or just renting? Looking at the skis I tried and liked, it's likely to be £5-600 for skis and bindings. I'm I better buying some old model skis from someone like Glisshop or buying later in the season when I'm in-resort (Val D'Isere in mid March)?

Finally, I'm 85kg, reasonably fit at aggressive skier who will ski pretty much anything (not always tidily!). Probably 50-50 piste- off piste mix conditions permitting.

Any other skis to consider or bargains to be had?

I know this is an mammoth first post but hopefully you'll be able to give me a little expert guidance! Thanks in advance...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mefster,

Welcome to snowheads. To be honest in your situation I would rent different skis in different conditions and decide which skis I really liked then look around for the skis at a bargin price.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
G.issshop has the dynastar cham 87 with look bindings for under 340
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Rossi Soul's don't excel in ice or hardpack etc. They are a soft snow ski - I love mine, but if you're looking for something to blast through crud and carve on hardpacked pistes then they're not the ski. However, if you genuinely want something for 50% off piste and can live with the fact they're not a slalom ski then they are fantastic skis.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for all the replies: I can see the advantage of renting skis, although as I won't have to pay extra for carrying skis it is tempting to buy and the Cham 87 Blue package looks really good value.

I don't think I'm looking for a ski that will excel in icy piste conditions: whenever conditions allow I'd always look to have a play off the side. I think I just want to know that if the snow is old and I'm limited to skiing on more hard packed or maching snow I won't find myself with something unskiable.

I was reading some reviews on the Cham 87 which seems like quite a forgiving intermediate ski: from what I understand the Blue is a little stiffer to suit a slightly more agressive skier. It certainly ticks the versatility box. I loved the Soul 7's but can't really justify spending an extra £250 on a ski which may be a little too powder orientated.

I'm 184 cms tall, taking into consideration the rocker on the Cham, what do you think would be an ideal length?

Do you think there may be any bargains in-resort?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I love my Souls too. The only conditions they really have not liked at all was rock-hard, frozen crud, but then I don't know any skis that like that. Once the crud softens they are OK, tho not the best for such conditions. On piste they carve and flick from edge to edge with surprising agility considering their width - carvers obviously do this better and a top end expert would find them too soft at speed. In the powder they are a dream. The only powder problem I had was when I experimented, having read that you could allow your weight to go further forward on fat skis such as these - resulting a dive-bomb and a face full of snow Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Salomon Enduro XT800s
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the further suggestions. I know the Enduro XT800s get fantastic reviews for an all-rounder, I think I'd be tempted by compromising on the ski's on-piste performance to get somethink a little more 50/50 Piste/Powder. Although heart says the Rossi Souls, the Cham 87 Blues are still a tempting prospect. I was researching them a little more and was a bit confused: Glisshop describe them as suitable for an 'advanced' skier and talk about the titinal core. On the Dynastar website they are described as suited to an intermediate skier and say they have a wood/fibre core.

I'm not the worlds greatest skier but I have plenty of weeks skiing under my belt and can ski most pistes comfortably in any conditions, as well as being happy to tackle bumps, powder and the odd play in the park. I appreciate that a more all mountain ski will not be as direct as a GS ski on icy slopes but I don't want to buy a ski that is too forgiving which I won't be able to push myself more and progress my off-piste technique further. I don't know if not wanting a forgiving ski is a little bit of a hairshirt mentality!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just spent a week in the Dolomites on Volkl RTM 84's and they're staggering. Great edge grip on hardpack pistes and very floaty in the powder. The edges were a little 'catchy' in soft bumps but they were very manouverable. I'm a committed renter of skis for numerous reasons but if I see these for a reasonable price in an end-of-season sale, i'll be very tempted to buy some.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mefster,
There are various different models of the Cham 87 each with a different construction & stiffness.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I guess there are quite a few skis to consider: The Cham 87, Rossi Souls as well as the Volkl RTM series.

I think I'll rent/Demo in Val D'Isere to see which suit best.

Any shop suggestions?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Go to Jean Sports in Val - opposite Moris pub
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy