Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

help please, first skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
i am looking at going on my first ski ing holiday and am looking to get some second hand skis and would like to know what kind/length of skis would be good for a beginner (5 ft 1 in height)
i've seen these on e bay and am wondering if they would be ok
Item number: 8726475089
Fischer Snow King Skis. Would make perfect beginners skis.
The skis are 190cm in length.
Marker Twincam M27 Bindings - I had these fitted and have skied on them only 4 or 5 times so they are in very good condition. I still have the receipt and instruction manual.
Poles are marked "Bavarian" and are 120cm (48") in length.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Too long in length for you.

Why not rent?

Rental equipment these days are very good, and include the latest models. If you go to the right shops.

I would certainly advocate renting if this is your first trip.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thanks for your reply, what length should i get and roughly how much is ski hire (i'm going to france)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
For a beginner, you shouldn't get skis that are higher than your nose. (I can't do the Imperial to Metric conversion I'm afraid).

I'd definitely say rent, unless you get a killer deal on a purchase, but the last time I looked at e-bay in the UK there were loads of old-school 'straight' skis listed, which shouldn't fetch more than £10 or so (just about no one skis on them anymore).

Can't find the Fischer Snow King, I would assume it's an archaic model.

Renting beginner skis should be below €100 for a week in the resort. Ski carriage on the flight can cost you £30 return with Ryanair. And you'll quickly outgrow any skis that are appropriate for a beginner.

On the other hand, you definitely want to get a pair of boots. Don't spare the expense here.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
judip,

Agree that you rent..... rental skis should be about chin height, max, for the first time.....
Just make sure you have comfortable boots and don't put up with ones that are painful in any way. if so, go back and change them..!!
Have clean socks every day and dry the boots every night....

Sorry if you know all this
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
cheers for the advice Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
http://www.interlocation.com//index.aspx?page=station.aspx&partenaire=26&langue=2&ts=-321301751&dt=1133372094552
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Book skis etc on line before you go with someone like www.snowrental.net should be a lot less than £100
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Did anyone actually go and look at these skis?

Goodness.

judip, renting is the only way to go for you. These skis on e-bay are very old. Lots of rubbish for sale on there, also some great stuff but do what the others say.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
so do you think they would be good for my hubbie maybe, he's 5ft 8
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Are they for cross country skiing?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
judip, Welcome to snowHead

They are rubbish for anyone! Even for £5! Ski tech has moved on a lot in the last 3-5 years. Old straight skis like
are a lot more difficult to ski than nice new designs like these

Much better to hire some!

Get lessons too!

If you feel you must buy something then get boots, but not from ebay. Go to a reputable boot fitter who will get the right boot on your foot. Having said that hiring for a first holiday seems sensible as you may hate it! (but you wont it is ace you will love it Neh Neh)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
190cm????? Good luck! Shocked

(If you're 5'1" I'd go for 150cm carving skis if I were you).

PS Do they make cars long enough these days to transport 190cm skis?? wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi Judip,

As a relative newcomer here myself I'd offer you the following:

Rent for this year and get a shop to let you swap skis a couple of times to try different ones. The shop should give you advice as to length, but 190 is at least 30cm more than you need. Don't touch skis like the ones you saw on ebay, modern ski's are shorter and have a pronouced curve that makes them easier to handle and in particular to turn.

Having a well fitted pair of boots is more important than getting the ski length perfect. Boots should be 'snug' fitting i.e. not loose and wobbly but not so tight that your feet go numb, don't be afraid to take hire boots back and swap them if they are rubbing or pinching in any way. Don't have anything on your feet inside your boot other than a single pair of ski socks. Don't make my mistake and tuck your trousers into your boots! (you should have seen the blisters on my calves!)

If you are thinking of buying, most shops will let you try b4 you buy and will refund the hire charge if you purchase the kit you tried out (I did this with both boots and ski's).

One final word, don't be in a hurry to buy skis unless you are going to ski a lot, rental prices are reasonable and these days most shops offer a good range of decent skis which are perfectly adequate unless you are a lot more experienced and demanding than me.

Have fun! Very Happy

SimonT
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

PS Do they make cars long enough these days to transport 190cm skis??

very good point, i drive an MG TF Laughing

thanks for the advice simonT, i think i'll do as you say, thanks to everyone for the help/advice
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy