Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Swiss instructors being stopped teaching in French sector of PdS

Poster: A snowHead
In the last few days the ESF have complained about ESS and Swiss ski schools teaching in France.
http://www.rts.ch/g/NZa7 not too sure if the link will work! One ESS teacher was stopped by gendarmes. The ESF claim the Swiss diploma does not match the required French standard and the obligatory speed test the Frenchcurrently have in place.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oh, that's going to set the cats amongst the pigeons...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
summer, fully qualifed ESS ? i've met a few Brits training with the ESS that I suspect might not meet the specific requirements of the French system...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Perhaps the head of ESF in PdS has a brother who owns a transfer company that runs to Geneva. Given what the GVA taxi drivers have done to cause hassle to all non Swiss drivers (I have an occasional tipple with a well known Taxi driver in Tignes and he is fed up with the hassle) perhaps a bit of retaliation was to be expected. Also if French law dictates something then even if a lift pass crosses the border laws do not.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
chocksaway, what's even more idd is that for some reason, lost in the mists of etc, the Swiss lift system extends into France in the shape of the Poma lift from near the bottom of Cubore up to the abricotine traverse.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
thought the only lifts that crossed the border were the (French) Mossettes, whose top section is in Switzerland, and the Chavanette one, where the top station must be just inside France? (edit: in that area, at least. might be loads in Chatel/Morgins sector?)
could be wrong.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I imagine a lot of sympathy over co-operation with the Swiss has been lost over the Geneva airport issue.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
All goes to show how dumb protectionism is. No-one wins in a trade war.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
under a new name, The poma lift is in switzerland. You would think that the border is at the top of the crest but is before that. You go over the border on the mossettes chair.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
I imagine a lot of sympathy over co-operation with the Swiss has been lost over the Geneva airport issue.

To be honest it's more likely to have been influenced by the recent Swiss referendum, the implementation of which will mean EU citizens no longer have the right to live and work in Switzerland.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Are the Swiss similarly complaining?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BergenBergen, ah so I have it back to front then, the French have invaded CH quietly with the Mossettes chair.

Isn't this whole argument rather antiquated?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
cunder a new name, france, init
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BergenBergen wrote:
cunder a new name

Bit harsh.

Also, in Switzerland, apparently, it's illegal to own only one guinea pig.

The Swiss are certifiably a nation of mentalists.

Are you still not allowed to flush your bog at night either?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

All goes to show how dumb protectionism is. No-one wins in a trade war.

Barack Obama doesn't seem too convinced of that. Sad
snow report
They also have an aversion to any sensible cars that try to drive through their country.
snow conditions
Certainly think the referendum has upset the French, decidedly less ESF showing up on the Swiss side with big groups. Likewise, a few confident young instructors have challenged Swiss instructors about qualifications. Allegedly leading to a few very heated exchanges... My only argument is this... It's tough to get a work permit in Switzerland, do the French when they teach a group and bring them over the border on a trip around the PdS need a permit ??? Sure someone knowledgable would know the answer..
snow report
There were (allegedly) a group of 5 gendarmes skiing around Avoriaz yesterday, but then they always check instructors around the peak holiday periods (they caught 2 under qualified French instructors at New Year at Avoriaz). The rumours I have heard are that this is just a bit of sabre rattling on the part of the French, and that it is not related to the Swiss referendum which has yet to be turned into action by the Swiss parliament anyway. The real problem apparently has been some ESS instructors meeting and dropping off clients on the French side, as well as clearly skiing around with absolute beginners who are unlikely to have made it over from Switzerland. There are a lot of ESS who live on the French side, and a lot of their clients as well, and the temptation is to run the entire lesson on the French side where there is often better skiing. The agreement still holds that the ESS can ski on the French side, but ONLY as part of a lesson that starts and ends in Switzerland. Anyway, this is what the ESS in les crosets/champoussin were told yesterday. The irony of grossly under-qualified ESS instructors (in French eyes) who have for years happily skied with their clients around a French ski resort with no noticeable effect on accident statistics still appears to have been lost on the French..
latest report
summer, eu nationals can work for very limited periods in CH without permits.
latest report
under a new name wrote:
summer, eu nationals can work for very limited periods in CH without permits.

Technically 90 days in any 12 month period, but from day 9 onwards, you need to register and signal in advance your intent to work in CH on any given day. If ESF instructors in the PdS do that, I'd be very surprised (I have no knowledge, but I very much doubt it). That's the regulation that the Swiss could very easily use for retaliatory checks if pushed.
ski holidays
The Swiss tend to run things according to regulations (certainly in the German speaking parts) they may ignore very minor infractions or issue a warning but I'd not want to upset the police in a country where you cannot mow your lawn on a Sunday and where noise police patrol resorts at night they are not known for their sense of humor
ski holidays
Oooh its a real can of worms and really agree with FreeBeer. I know of a few ESS guys who regularly meet clients in Chatel and Les Linderets and conduct their lessons entirely in those sectors. It makes the issue tough for the rest of us instructors on the Swiss side who are qualified and meet and greet on the Swiss side and conduct our lessons there. When we are lucky enough, and clients are able enough go into France for some different terrain its a bonus. I sometimes leave my clients to lunch in France after lessons(Starting in Ch) and ski back to Planachaux or Les crosets to meet my next client/s. I see ESF doing likewise on our side.
latest report
Just a quick update. I have it on good authority now that it was some ESS instructors running lessons (picking up and dropping off) on the French side that was the trigger for the clampdown. I also get the impression that the French instructors were more upset by the betrayal of trust than anything else. I am not aware however of any new restrictions, and ESF and ESS are still operating across the border according to the old understanding that they pick up and drop off on their own respective sides.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy