Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Brown rain in St Gervais?

Poster: A snowHead
Putting skis on the car this morning I noticed brown dots on the car .. Slightly odd but I figured it was road spray from our trip back from Notre Dame de Bellecombe yesterday .. But then on the slopes it looked like the same brown stuff was on the pistes as well .. What's up with that?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sand from north Africa. Happens once in a while.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Marmotte pee
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Someone said Africa dust .. Another guy said he thought it was pollen .. Dust seems more plausible ..
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As Prince once so famously sang.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's widespread today, it seems.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pollen. All over today.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Its sand from Africa
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As Toto once so famously sang.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mr Pieholeo wrote:
As Prince once so famously sang.

I recall purple rain, not brown rain Wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mr Pieholeo wrote:
"Its sand from Africa" .... As Toto once so famously sang.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
http://forecast.uoa.gr/dustindx.php
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Saharan sand courtesey of the Scirocco. Fawn snow is wierd.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We were told it was pollen - sand makes more sense as seems a bit early for hay fever season!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sand. We had it here in Bavaria as well. My car looks like shit one day after taking it through the car wash Sad
snow report
Steilhang, ditto - we copped a huge amount in Weßling yesterday, while back here auf dem Berg, there is not quite as much on the cars I know are kept outside. I was quite ashamed of my car when I parked outside the bakery this morning. I only went to the car wash last Thursday as well!
snow report
We don't get rain here often but when we do, cars are completely coated in wet brown water which then gets caked on.

Right PITA!
ski holidays
Quote:

I was quite ashamed of my car

I find, in my old age, that I am never ashamed of my car, no matter what ghastly state it is in. Nor of my mobile phone. wink

The folk staying in my apartment in Les Saisies said they had the dust - I've not seen it myself. Good job it doesn't happen too often - the Sahel doesn't need any more erosion. Sad
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue, Weßling is just a couple of Km away from me, so you got the same load that we got.
snow conditions
We had the same, the lower piste was a lovely shade of beige.
snow report
Steilhang, just looked down on my car (blue Caddy) and the roof is almost white with the stuff! A visit to the car wash again this week is on the cards now Sad Just got to find the time.
snow conditions
Vot is this thing "car wash"?????
snow conditions
gvj

Car Wash (n). Vehicular cleansing process performed once per car owned, just prior to advertising it on Gumtree.
ski holidays
Mr Pieholeo, Very Happy On our Landy I reckon that if the lumps of dirt get big enough, they'll fall off by themselves.
latest report
gvj wrote:
Mr Pieholeo, Very Happy On our Landy I reckon that if the lumps of dirt get big enough, they'll fall off by themselves.

Same - Defender has not been washed since I got here in early January. That said, jet washing the chassis tomorrow as Land Rovers chassis' seem to be made of rust, and salted roads are probably not doing it any good...
snow report
We experienced this at half term in the GM, it was all over the place but particularly Morrillon and Les Carroz. It made the snow look like lightly baked meringue with a light brown tinge. I ask the pisteurs about it and they said that because of the warm temperatures and likelihood of significant rain they spray a chemical through the snow cannons which reduces the snow melt significantly. They said they rarely do it as it looks very ugly. I took a couple of days and good dump of snow to dissipate.

Now I haven't heard of this before and checked it wasn't April Fools Day and so I asked three different people working around the resort at different lifts and a restaurant and they corroborated the explanation.
ski holidays
jirac18, we were in Combloux, Megeve, La Giettaz over half term and experienced this on the Wednesday. We noticed it on the cars (looked like a very fine dust/sand which had fallen everywhere, no fresh snow that morning) outside the chalet, 10 mins drive up from slopes so unlikely to have had anything to do with snow cannons? Also, there aren't any snow cannons in La Giettaz (no need for them wink ) and there was as much lemon meringue style coating there as rest of Portes du Mont Blanc area Confused
snow report
Definitely "Red Rain" ( or snow in your case). Get it from January/February thru to about April, occasionally later in South of France -- total PITA has the consistency of cement and the 'sand' is really fine. Had more this year than normal although not as 'heavy' as it can be.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Agenterre, that sounds more plausible. I can only think the pisteurs were having me on along with others and the rumour mill did the rest.
ski holidays
And that layer of sand is still causing issues with avalanches as it formed a distinct layer which the new snow did not adhere to. In some areas it has slipped 2 or 3 times in the same place. It has even featured in the formal Meteo France Avi reports ('couche de sable').
snow report
I was convinced it was African dust, but no ...

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=news;storyid=5785;sess=
snow report
Brown rain you say?

http://youtube.com/v/EwTZ2xpQwpA
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy