Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

3 Valleys self-catering location for early 20 somethings

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am taking my son (22) and daughter (20) for a week in the 3 valleys.

They haven't mentioned it, but I suspect they would like the self-catering accommodation to be somewhere where there is a bit of life so should it be Les Menuires or Meribel and any particular locations to aim for/avoid ?

thanks in anticipation
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bassetsbury wrote:
I am taking my son (22) and daughter (20) for a week in the 3 valleys.

They haven't mentioned it, but I suspect they would like the self-catering accommodation to be somewhere where there is a bit of life so should it be Les Menuires or Meribel and any particular locations to aim for/avoid ?

thanks in anticipation

Welcome to snowHead

I would suggest that Val Thorens would be a better bet for 'student apres' then les Menuires. No I haven't sampled the bars extensively but VT has a big pull with studetns/scandis/dutchies all of whom like a beer or two (yep it's a sweeping generalisation)

There's a folie douce in both VT or meribel so that doesn't really differentiate - possibly more champagne bars in Meribel and more 'spit 'n' sawdust places in Val Thorens. If they only want to speak English then meribel will suffice, if they'd like to chat to some foreigners then VT might be better
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
VT's a fair shout but I think Meribel's bars are better for 20 somethings. Certainly not Les Menuires/St Martin/1850. Not really Mottaret/Le Praz. C1650 ok, maybe La Tania. Location can be a problem/ski bus in Meribel though, whereas it's easier to walk round VT and more likely to be ski-in/ski-out.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks, Val Thorens seems a good shout particularly at the end of March

any particular areas in VT to look out for?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
One thing to be wary of is that if the weather is bad VT lifts can be closed when the rest of the 3V is still open. Meribel should be wild enough for them...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
La tania fairly quiet
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
how likely is bad weather in VT in the third week of March and what is the potential disruption?

surely ski down to LM and go from there, returning by bus if required or have I missed something?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Location can be a problem/ski bus in Meribel though

True - some places are quite a schlep from the lifts and bars. And Meribel might have more bars full of Brits, but it might also have more slush.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bassetsbury, VT's ideal at the end of March - best time to go. Good snow and sunshine. Weather's unlikely to be an issue and the worst case is you ski in your own area which is a miserable 150kms wink Most lifts in VT are designed to run in high winds - only the Cime Caron cable car usually gets shut as it's the most exposed. The Bouquetin link to LM is designed to run in all weathers.

You can see accommodation areas here http://www.valthorens.com/winter-en/val-thorens/resort-and-useful-information/interactive-resort-map.424.html

Most bars are in the Peclet area (look at Quarters on the map) but none of the apartment blocks are more than a 10 minute walk from there. The slalom quarter (L'Olympic building) is particularly handy for being central to skiing and drinking. If you go with P&V their main building is the massive one bottom left of the map in the Soleil area. Ideal for skiing and with it's own supermarket and pizzeria, bit further to walk for drinking but there's a pedestrian bridge into the centre and the Malaysia nightclub (which might be important Very Happy )
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
VT is all fairly party, even with the new growth anything that appears to be 'in town' on a map should be fine. Skiing more the thing, in heavy snow VT is a pain - no trees! Meribel better that way but also WAY more spread out, need careful checking on where you are if you want to go out in the evenings, ski in/out and in lack of snow/warm it suffer more. So in extremis do you prefer to risk being whited out, or skiing slush n ice Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy