Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Colmiane

Poster: A snowHead
Thinking of heading that way next season. Anyone been to that resort, it doesn't crop up much in searches...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's very tiny! You could ask agenterre - he's from that part of the world. Snow cover that far south is a bit hit and miss; we used to stay down on the coast in February, several years, and sometimes the mountains were white, sometimes they weren't. Might be a nice part of a holiday in the area, flying to Nice and renting a car, with some time at the coast, some snow-shoeing, some cross-country, etc.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Pam. Snow suredness would be my biggest concern.

Anyone have any idea where I could check historical data?
Probably have to be school holiday time so Christmas/New Year or February.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Why would you go there Ray? If you want to ski in the Maritime Alps I would suggest Auron or Valberg.

What Pam says anyway

http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Southern-Alps/La-Colmiane
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
davidof, I really like the idea of skiing in Val de Blore. More personal rather than ski/snow reasons.

Thanks for your comments and link though, Valberg does look a better option with maybe just a daytrip to La Colmiane Confused
It looks like there is quite a climb up the valley, how long would you guess it would take to drive between the two?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty the Snowman, you're only jealous NehNeh NehNeh
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There's been quite a few landslips round there this season, there's still one blocking off half the road before Saint Sauveur but it looks like you turn off for Valdeblore/La Colmiane before then.

Google maps says it's 1hr22 which is probably about right Smile

Personally I'd do a week based in Auron, pop over to Isola, Valberg and La Colmiane a day each. I get the impression that Valberg and La Colmiane are great for skiing in February and March but otherwise they're too frequently close to the freezing point and the visible snow line to be anywhere near snow-sure. Isola is the Manchester of the Maritime Alps in terms of precipitation, and Auron does pretty well too so you always have options there if the snow's naff at the smaller hills.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
and if you go in February you can get swathes of mimosa on the coastal hills and sit beside the azure sea with a glass of white wine one day and ski the next. We once visited Isola one day (a tiresome drive, it has to be said, from La Napoule) and were sailing our little old boat in Cannes Bay the next - with only a couple of other scruffy little yachts for company.

There's an awful lot of not a lot in that area, once you get away from the coast (which is far nicer in Feb/March than in August)..
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Heh, I stay in La Napoule and drive up to Isola daily when I'm there. It is a bit of a trek, but it's more peaceful and less frenetic than Nice and to be fair Greolieres is about the same journey time and even more of a painful drive. Lesser of two evils I guess Wink

Ray Zorro, is this any good for historical snow stats? http://www.onthesnow.co.uk/southern-alps/la-colmiane/historical-snowfall.html
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
call me dave, why do you stay in La Napoule if you have to be in Isola every day? Though it is a very pleasant spot, I grant you. I've not been there for a few years now since we gave up our share of the little boat because of not having enough time to spend down there because of spending so much time in the French Alps. It's a hard life. wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
call me dave, thanks for the link. Very Happy La Napoule to Isola is a trek and a half!

Did you mean 1 hour 22 between Valberg and La Comiane? That sounds a lot as it can only be 25-30 miles (though I appreciate it is a winding road Confused
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
52 kms according to google maps. The 10 km winding road between the valley and my apartment takes 20 minutes, more if it's snowy, so that sounds about right.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, because it's a free bed for the night Wink It's bookended by a couple of easy sections of motorway and in new diesel hire cars it's still pretty agreeable. It surprises me how many come from further afield with 83 numberplates, they really must be nuts. Mind you, the snow is REALLY good at the moment so it's fair enough Wink

Ray Zorro, it sounds about right to be honest. Even on the faster windy bits on the road up from Nice without traffic giving it as much beans as you dare you average about 35mph. There's always some nutter with 3 kids and a bored wife in the car who can see through solid rock trying to get past you though Shocked
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

There's always some nutter with 3 kids and a bored wife in the car who can see through solid rock trying to get past you though

I noticed that. And another one coming at you from the other side of the solid rock. That's why I found the drive tiresome - if you had the road to yourself it would be quite pleasant.
snow conditions
Prior to it suddenly kicking off at new year this season and the car parks being full by 11 I'd amble up in time for an afternoons lift pass from 12.30, and at that point the road was pretty empty and quite good fun. I just signal to move over and let the loonies go to be honest unless they're being really annoying. If they're determined to have a head on collision with one of the Nice/resort coaches I'd prefer they didn't do it near me...!

Away from the planks, if you're a bit of a petrol head and need a day off I can highly recommend looking for the maps for the Col de Turini and surrounding WRC rally stages and having a leisurely but determined go at them. Best fun you can have off away from the snow with your clothes on Wink
ski holidays
Quote:

I just signal to move over and let the loonies go to be honest unless they're being really annoying. If they're determined to have a head on collision with one of the Nice/resort coaches I'd prefer they didn't do it near me...!

I always do the same, on mountain road. It's quite comforting for a while, to know you have a buffer zone just round the next bend. wink
snow report
Ray Zorro wrote:
Frosty the Snowman, you're only jealous NehNeh NehNeh
Sadly there does not appear to be a Val de Fat-Tosser
ski holidays
I'm eyeing up this area for a possible April trip, a place I've never been and love new places to go. It also seems easy to get there from Nice airport with very cheap bus fare plus cheap lift pass. Looks like lots of snow there but historically does it get very warm in April? Was all over the Milky Way (not that far away although further from the sea) second week of April last year and snow held up most days. What are the predominate slope orientations for Auron and Isola 2000?
ski holidays
Peter Ross wrote:
I'm eyeing up this area for a possible April trip

Mountain biking? Laughing
latest report
I have fat skis so slush never a problem! No just wondering is it any slushier here than further north in the Alps?
snow report
Peter Ross, depends how you feel about hiking, I guess. The station website says it closes on 23 March.
latest report
Whoops, sorry thinking more the Alpes Maritine in general rather than just La Colmiane. Auron or Isola 2000 seem the places open in April and there seems to be loads of snow this year.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy