Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sestriere Cross Country (xc) ski

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've trawled thearchives and I can see that people have asked about xc facilities in sestriere previously - I am really looking to see if anyone has actually visited the resort and seen the xc for themselves. I get the impression that the promotional blurb might not be reliable.

If you have been there - is there a loop or track which is directly accessible from the main town (i.e. not requiring a bus or ski lift to another village). Do you know if there is any floodlit section?

The reason I ask is that I am on a weekend breack at the end of Feb, arriving on the friday (28th) in the afternoon - I will be Alpine skiing on the Sat Sun and Mon but I've always fancied giving xc a go so I am thinking of doing that on the fri afternoon when I first arrive in the resort. If I can avoid having to buy a lift pass or waste time on more bus journesy then that strengthens my resolve (if I have a lift pass in my hands then the lure of Alpine might overcome me). I am interested in floodlit because I might consider further xc practice on the other days after the lifts have closed.

Thanks for reading this far - if you have been to sestriere and know your xc I hope you can help.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mrs M didn't find any last year, she ended up trying Montgenevre. Their XC circuit was apparently cut in half by the building/repair of a swimming pool (may have been something else - my memory is not good), so she was not very impressed after her troublesome journey there. We ended up complaining about the TO brochure that mentioned XC skiing in Sauze and Sestriere, both of which were nonexistent.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That's a shame - it would have been a good opportunity to try out xc on this trip but there'll be other times...

Thanks for responding
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
That sounds like complete rubbish - just one circuit? Hardly worth a journey even if it hadn't been cut in half by the swimming pool. What a shame.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A resort with a decent XC area should publish a piste map, so that you know exactly what to expect. On the other hand you would have to buy a pass - though probably much cheaper than an alpine pass.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
As an update to the thread - I'm back from Sestriere. Had a couple of whiteouts days while a load of snow was dumped (should be great skiing this week). But importantly (for this thread) they do have a xc track in sestriere.

It is at the top left of the village (north-west) - a bit of a trek from the alpine lifts and best suited to someone with a car, although there is a Navette or you could grab a cab to get there (or a long walk). You can rent equipment at the location and a pass is only a few euros, you can also have lessons there (although not english speaking - italian and french only I believe)

It was perfect for me because I arrived at the resort with only 1 hour left for the alpine lifts, snow drifting down and poor visibility - so I was able to head over to the xc instead where the visibility wasn't an issue and there was no pressure to meet any lift times.

They don't advertise it very widely but it is there - If you look for sestriere monterotta fondo in google you will find a couple of references - such as http://www.villaggiolimpico.com/wordpress/2012/11/20/sestriere-aperta-la-pista-di-sci-di-fondo-a-monterotta/
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy