Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Going around in circles. (France)

Poster: A snowHead
Hence the number of recent posts!

OK we have come down to the following, with a few changes along the way!

20th December 2014 7 nights. (family of 4, children 14 and 12).

Good area for 2nd week skiers in France.
(Nice wide open greens and blues - progressing to mild reds)

Looking at self catering and the budget is £3K. Travel, apartment, passes, boots and ski's (will probably book private lessons for a few hours). Not sure what this will get us?

Not a problem booking independantly, just point me in the right direction.

I have been looking at a number of places but at the moment they have not ticked all of the boxes?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ADH ticks all the boxes.
High and so should be good snow cover early season, also S facing with a high number of sunny days.
Lots of lovely easy runs in the bowl above the village. You can ski to other parts of the resort easily. Plenty of apartments. Pool and ice skating if the kids want a break from skiing.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Suspect, although not certain, that you will have to drive to make that budget work over christmas week.

La plagne might be a good shout, family orientated, and although the runs are criticised by some for being wide and not very challenging, that is probably exactly what you are looking for at this point.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
winter2009, I will go with my standard response of Vallandry in Arc domain - fits the criteria and is doable for that budget

Go onto Vallandry web site and book through their central reservation service

Again think driving would be your best option
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Try Risoul. Nice ski in ski out apartments. As SkiG said, you'd probably have to drive to make that budget work - Risoul is in southern alps and so is further to drive to than ADH.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Belle Plagne would be my suggestion - they have some SC ski in/out options. Some very benign blues above and back down to the town. Easy access to slopes for progression, options for the sense of travel, high so relatively snow-sure and Belle Plagne is moderately pretty for a purpose built "town".

Crystal Ski have a SC deal at the Cassiopée Apartments for under £2300 inc F & T - no idea what these apartments are like - just demonstrating one option that was easy to find. They also have the Constellations Apartments which I know are ski in/out onto a gentle "track" at £2228 - they also offer a SC option with evening meal at this place. Various 2 for 1 equipment hire options also being offered.

These prices based on 2 adults and 2 children.

I've stayed in Belle Plagne and quite like the relaxed nature of the place - there are a few reasonable restaurants, the centre is quite compact, there are a couple of nice bars and there's not much need for any schlepping about.

NB: Edit - Ski Passes would be GBP775 (approx) if purchased individually. I believe that family rates would bring the cost down - children ages 6 - 17 qualify. So, coming in at or just over £3k when you include equipment hire.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 18-02-14 13:45; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
winter2009, if you drive a reasonably economic car and self-cater that budget should be doable

As follows (I've picked prices I know, in Bisanne 1500, in the Espace Diamant)

ski pass, family 630
ski hire 320
driving, return 600
apartment – piste side, 2 bedrooms 700
10 hours private lessons 380

All prices in euros, total 2630, leaving you a fair bit to spend on holiday "extras" like some meals and drinks on the slopes. Basic eating needn't cost you much more than it does at home.

Perfect location - plenty of easy skiing, good snow record, great scenery.

Of course you could spend twice as much and go to the Espace Killy or the 3 Valleys and only be able to ski a small fraction of the pistes you are paying for.

wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w makes a good point - with kids and beginners you can consider a much smaller area and save some cash. Only downsides might be less English speaking kids if you want group lessons maybe?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Only downsides might be less English speaking kids if you want group lessons maybe?

yes, that's a definite downside, but private lessons are cheap. We got 5 x 2 hours private lessons for 4 kids for only a few bucks more than group lessons would have cost.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Of course you could spend twice as much and go to the Espace Killy or the 3 Valleys and only be able to ski a small fraction of the pistes you are paying for.

Agree it would cost more but the 'only be able to ski a small fraction bit' is rather misleading. According to the 3V website they have '330 marked alpine ski runs: (13% green, 39% blue, 38% red and 10% black)'. So if the OP can ski all greens, blues and some reds they'll have well over 50% of the area to play with. Over 50% is hardly a 'small fraction of the pistes they're paying for'.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
X 2 for Alpe D` Huez. Had a week there just before Christmas, good snow and lovely pistes for you. Excellent British run ski school there too (Masterclass), well reccommended. Biggest downside, the embarrassment of being British caused by the stupidity and behaviour of the large groups of British students in the resort. They were a danger to themselves and others (particularly the ones who decided to pick a fight with the British Army lads in resort.....he he wink ).

ATB,
Andy..
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For that budget, driving with family I`d definitely go with Pams solution, or another small resort, leave the expensive large areas until you have a bit more skiing time under the belt,
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Over 50% is hardly a 'small fraction of the pistes they're paying for'.

indeed, but I bet you they wouldn't ski over 160 pistes in their week's holiday.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We have just booked morillon for Xmas 14, nice self catering apartment/chalet, eurotunnel paid for by tesco clubcard vouchers Very Happy grand massif lift passes hopefully around the same as this year (everyone pays child price Xmas week 670 euros family of four here too) booking everything DIY, "owners direct" for chalet etc. think it will come in at under £2250 but not looked at lessons yet. Can't wait and praying for lots of early snow
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
winter2009Serre Chevalier would be great for your Christmas break. English-speaking ski schools, New Generation are brillian and based in Le Monetier-les-Bains. Lower prices than the major resorts and no British students causing embarrasment. Good traditional atmosphere. See my signature for more details on accommodation adn the resort.
ski holidays
Quote:

and no British students causing embarrasment

You sure, that's where my kids school goes for Ski Trips, or do you mean the Uni type?
snow conditions
Uni types Boris..........Spoke to some of the coach drivers who had brought them over, saw the pictures of what these cretins had done to the coaches. One or two drivers were refusing to take them back to the UK. One lot arrested for climbing the front of a house then stealing and smashing up an ornament from it. House happened to belong to a retired policeman, one phone call later they were nicked. Skiing and boarding too fast and not in control on green pistes, wiping out kids including my 11 year old lad. Spoke to the guy who did it, 3 o clock in the afternoon he smelled like Tennent Caledonian brewery.
Been in the Military for nearly thirty years so am not a stranger to a good time but these halfwits had no manners, respect or consideration for anyone else in that resort.
Having said that, the rest of the week was brilliant Very Happy

ATB,
Andy.
snow report
Boris, the school groups are all well-supervised and well-behaved.
snow conditions
Hells Bells, I don't think bad behaviour is the monopoly of British students. I think pretty much every nationality is guilty
ski holidays
Quote:

I think pretty much every nationality is guilty

From what I've heard this mass yobbiness in ski resorts is, sadly, a fairly British phenomenon.
ski holidays
I've seen some overly boisterous behaviour from Brits that would make me embarrassed to be associated with them but the only really awful behaviour I've seen was by some Russians trying to kick their way through a door to a restaurant in Les Menuires at 8am. Fortunately they were so pissed they could barely stand up so weren't getting very far.

Disclaimer: I'm not suggesting this is representative of all Russians.
ski holidays
swiftoid, sure, you'll get drunk Russians, or Dutchmen, etc, behaving badly but the mass nonsense which seems to overcome the big Uni trips (trashing the coach on the way rolling eyes , trashing apartment blocks they stay in rolling eyes rolling eyes ) seems to be a British thing.
snow conditions
winter2009, you've been looking for five years?? Shocked
snow report
5 years ??
ski holidays
Since 2009 wink
snow report
Ah sorry not switched on.

No 2009 was one of the good snow winters for the Uk , sad I know
snow report
I would have a look at the Grand Massif, Les Carroz or Flaine might have a cheaper option and the ski area is great. You could get in touch with snowbeds.com - they are based there.
snow report
+1 for Belle Plagne.
We stayed in Pierre et Vacances apartment, literally ski-in (we begged for ground floor apartment, just make sure there's someone to open the door in case you misjudge the speed), self drive for New Year.
Lovely restaurantsin town including the hotel buffet (Mercure IIRC). Lots of long simple runs, and if you want more challenges, there's all of Paradiski.

Only down side is the bottle neck for uplift in Plagne Bellecote. Oh, and navigating the labyrinthian underground car park when you first arrive. Which is a blessing when you come to leave (warm dry car).

Lovely spot to spend Christmas.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I really didn't like the Grand Massif ski area at Christmas. The linking slopes were all horrible - either narrow, chewed up, redic busy, lack of decent snow cover on them etc. Flaine had the bes skiing and snow but was a pita to get there from Lez Carroz. Not somewhere I would suggest with beginners.
snow conditions
Learned to ski in Flaine, it was fine for beginners.
ski holidays
I'm with Strax and Cacciatore: Belle Plagne (though other bits of La Plagne also worth looking at)

And Strax: you never need to venture near Bellecote from Belle Plagne.
Belle Plagne chair (slow one over beginners slope), Col de Forcle drag (previousle "Long Drag"), Letchoums drag (Leprechaun drag), and you're into Plagne Centre.
Bellecote is only a "bottleneck" at start and end of the day - usually almost deserted during lunchtime 1200-1400.
(Never understood why everyone piles into crowded restaurants just when the pistes are almost empty Puzzled )
snow report
Quote:

depends on the snow cover, I guess - which wasn't good this last Christmas and will mean that everyone in the GM was heading to Flaine.

Quote:

Never understood why everyone piles into crowded restaurants just when the pistes are almost empty

Indeed. Get on first lift. Have a quick coffee/hot choc stop around 10, when lifts are cluttered with morning ski school groups, Have an early lunch (about 1130) then ski till the afternoon ski school queues start, then go home, or have another coffee and do another hour.
snow conditions
pam w, you get the start of the day right, but then you go right off the rails.
Hot chocky at 10: quite agree. And sometimes treat myself to a Beignet.
But lunch is in my backpack: baguette, apple, dried fruit, and chocolate. Consumed on a lift or pie-nic table.
Don't venture back into restaurant until end-of-day beer or vin chaud. snowHead
snow report
In general the Grand Massif has the second best snow record in France so it is rare not to have snow at the start of the season but it can happen! I started skiing there and loved it, especially the Marvel down in to Morillon so it brings back nice memories for me but everyone to their own... Wink

La Plagne is probably a good budget option and it is indeed full of easy blues.

Sainte Foy is also worth looking at, you might get more for your money there as it is a smaller resort.
ski holidays
kat.ryb wrote,
ADH ticks all the boxes.

+1
ski holidays
Hells Bells,

Quote:

Yes and this was exactly our problem when we were there - Flaine had snow and nice slopes. Everyone in the whole area was trying to get to/from Flaine so it was busy and made the linking slopes really awful, plus they aren't nice linking slopes anyway, def linking slopes not actual fun slopes if that makes sense.
snow report
Jonpim, I didn't say my early lunch wasn't a picnic. wink In nice weather there's nothing better, and there are some welcome new picnic tables round our area.
latest report
Another vote for ADH. Brilliant place
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy