Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Geneva car hire report

Poster: A snowHead
Just back from the PdS Sad .
Normally we use one of the super transfer minibuses, but decided this year that we'd like a little more independence,so hired a car. Great advice on here - thanks - so we went with Argus, which was fielded to Sixt. Great little Fiat 4x4.
The only pain is the bit between the hire desks and the actual cars. Luggage on trolley, walk to desk, sort out documents, trolley to bus stop, luggage off, onto bus, luggage off. Carry luggage through huge car park to farthest end for car. And reverse a week later. A complete pain when you have loads of kit and small children.
Is Geneva the only airport where it's a bus to the car hire?
Perhaps we need wheeled bags!
Think we'll go back to the luxury of trolley to minibus next year!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It is not that far to walk with trolley direct to the cars(signed) so you would not have to load and off load trolley .It is also possible to drop everyone and luggage at the departures and then continue on with the empty car back to the car hire drop off .
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

No, I'm sure it's not - I remember doing the same in Nice. Dropping everyone off at departures then taking an empty car back, as suggested by brock, is a good way to go. And the reverse on arrival. brock,
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I suppose that's a much better way. First time doing the car hire so we didn't really know how far the bus journey was going to be. Thanks snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Common enuf in big airports to have the car hire remote to the airport. The premium car hire companies may have a collection point nearer than the cheaper car cos.

As Brock as said, it can be better to get your partners to wait at departures with luggage, while you fetch the car

If you use a sat nav, good idea before you set up, is to save the car hire drop off point in your Sat nav. That way, when you return , you pick your destination as the car hire drop off , and not the airport
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I hired a car at GVA (Swiss side) last week and found it to be relatively painless. Certainly compared to some of the stories you hear. Having got my luggage it must have only been 20 minutes or so before I was driving off. But to be fair I was alone and it was a Thursday evening - I'm sure it would be more difficult with kids in tow and at a busier time, but as others have said just leave them at arrivals/departures.

I was with Europcar (booked through Holiday Autos) - snow tyres and chains provided.

The only problem I found was finding the drop off point when returning the car. Though that was probably more to do with me being a numbnuts than anything!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
P.S. No idea why the europ-car bit above became a dodgy link? Not my doing, honest!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I was alone and it was a Thursday evening

the only way to travel. wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, it certainly was! Very last minute trip - I decided to go/packed/booked flight/booked car/booked accommodation and was in a taxi to the airport within 40 minutes. The effort was rewarded with a great week's skiing and plenty of snow! A bit odd doing a solo ski trip, the first time I have done it, but was well worth the effort.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Billy M wrote:
P.S. No idea why the europ-car bit above became a dodgy link? Not my doing, honest!

it's a sponsored link
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Plenty of airports have off-site car rental collection. GVA is at least walkable to P51 (although perhaps not with ski luggage and kids in tow). It used to be much more convenient prior to the move to P51, but those days are long gone.

On a related note, has anyone booked with a broker such as Holiday Autos or Argus and ended up with a rental company which isn't located in P51?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lyon is a schlep on a bus as well (well it was last time I was there but there was a lot of building going on)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Grenoble has a very short walk to car hire pick up. Most convenient. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There is a bus at Lyon to the car hire which takes a fair bit of time and is fairly infrequent. However at the French side in Geneva it is just a very short walk from the car hire desk to the car. They even have a cafe next to the car hire desk in case you have to wait and it happens to be open.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

On a related note, has anyone booked with a broker such as Holiday Autos or Argus and ended up with a rental company which isn't located in P51?

Yes, at least three times. Twice with a company that met me as I came through Customs, signed up the paperwork and then took me out to the drop off car park. Had to return to that same place, problem being that I was early and had to wait around for an hour before he arrived. Second time same procedure except that the car was somewhere in the depths of the airport.

On another occasion the car was at a hotel beyond P51 on the other side of the road. Had to call for the hotel's courtesy bus. All takes much longer than you think it will.

I still use brokers but I only book through companies that I know have a desk in the airport and cars in P51. May be a bit more expensive but far less hassle.
latest report
Chris Mason, thanks. Which broker did you use when you ended up collecting your car somewhere other than P51?
snow conditions
Dare I say the French side is very convenient, think we only had to walk about 30metres from the desk to the car!
snow conditions
rob@rar, The occasion when I had to go to a hotel was booked through Holiday Autos, last April. I can't remember who I booked through on other occasions, but I think it would either have been HA or Auto Europe. HA now shows, as part of the inclusions (winter tyres, free cancellation etc) whether it is an 'Airport Terminal Pick Up'. If it doesn't say this I have always assumed that it is somewhere other than at the terminal. This is something HA have only added in the last year or so, I would imagine after moans from customers. HA doesn't show the name of the company you are hiring from until you've completed the purchase so you have to rely on this. AE does show the name of the company and I've always worked on the assumption that the likes of Hertz, Europcar, Avis, Alamo etc are going to have a desk in the terminal.
ski holidays
Bus to car hire ... Heathrow and Pisa spring to mind
snow conditions
Just an update. We once again hired a car through Argus, this time ending up with Avis and an Opal 4x4. We invested in wheeled bags, which was SO much easier than carrying big bags through the car park with children. Also Avis is quite close to the bus stop. Sometimes it's just about having the right tools for the job!
snow report
Quote:

No. At Lyon you get a bus that drops you off at the various car hire offices where you pick the car up.

I have used Argus a lot at Geneva and usually it is just a sort walk down the stairs or a lift to pick the car up. I really like the little cafe where your passengers can sit while you get the keys.
snow report
For GVA it is sometimes worth going to the '.ch' landing page of the various car hire firms at P51. I've found that sometimes there are cars and rates on offer at, for example, www.sixt.ch that weren't presented on the www.sixt.com or .co.uk route. Avis.ch was another where we found a Nisan 4x4 that simply didn't appear on the .com site. And for larger groups, I noticed that the .ch sites sometimes have minivans that you don't see on the .com version. Of course, websites are notoriously volatile so this may not apply any more, but if I book at GVA I'll still give at least a couple of .ch sites a go just to be sure.

The Gevea Airport (www.gva.ch) wepages list the car hire firms in the terminal: note, these mostly take you to these '.ch' landing pages.

http://www.gva.ch/en/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-72/

The site also has access maps etc which as mentioned, can be useful on car hire return.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 16-02-15 14:44; edited 3 times in total
latest report
Quote:

minivans

Now that's a blast from the past
snow conditions
@msej449, now that's a handy hint - thanks. Very Happy
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
Quote:

minivans

Now that's a blast from the past

I see that my flared trousers have also come back into fashion .............
latest report
@snowfraise,
The car park is only about 400 m or less from the rental desks and if you have your luggage on trolleys it is actually pretty straightforward to push it along the pavement. Less of a hassle than unloading and loading off the bus in my experience though on the way back I drop at the kiss and fly departure.
snow report
Thanks @T Bar, we were sorted this year thanks to new wheeled bags - I was just updating an old thread. Just a thought though - do they let the airport trolleys into the car park? It was going like a fair when we dropped the car off on Saturday and trolleys would have caused chaos.
snow report
snowfraise wrote:
Thanks @T Bar, we were sorted this year thanks to new wheeled bags - I was just updating an old thread. Just a thought though - do they let the airport trolleys into the car park? It was going like a fair when we dropped the car off on Saturday and trolleys would have caused chaos.

Yes they do you go into a lift from the road and once you have unloaded you can take the trolley along to a depot and get your coin back.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
And as an aside, the corridor between Arrivals and the Car Hire desks has a Post Office about half way along on the right, including a PostBank ATM. If you want to get some cash, your UK Debit Card should work in the PostBank ATM and the rate is usually reasonable. This may be your last chance to get cash before you arrive in the resort and the rates up the mountain generally won't be better and may be worse than here.

If you're skiing in Switzerland and, like me, are old-fashioned and want to send a Post Card, you can also buy the requisite CHF 1.40 stamps here.
snow conditions
Be carefull if going to Euroland. The Swiss machines usually only give you CHfs. Need a Swiss card to get Euro's.
snow report
We always hire on the French side and there is no bus xfer involved. You just get the elevator down to the car park under the rental desk.
snow report
Quote:

If you're skiing in Switzerland and, like me, are old-fashioned and want to send a Post Card, you can also buy the requisite CHF 1.40 stamps here.

That is 1 pound for the stamp alone
ski holidays
but it costs 97p to post a simple, light, letter from the UK to France - so no different, really.
ski holidays
So are these 10p stamps in my wallet not a lot of use then?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy