Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

wider skis more stable on moguls

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So I tried some wider skis recently 98mm mantras and these seemed to be much more stable on the moguls than the 83mm wide Castle MX83 that I had been using.
Could just be the ski but in general are wider skis better for moguls and tree skiing?
For tree skiing I would think a really soft flexible ski would be better for the trough turns.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

are wider skis better for moguls

no , look at what the mogul competitors ski on, quite narrow straight skis...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
GordonFreeman, what's a trough turn?

Wider skis in principle will make "proper" mogul skiing more diffficult as you won't get your feet as close together as easily. My Mantras are fine in bumps but my GS skis are better.

All that said, I don't really understand what you mean by "stable". Skiing bumps is a very dynamic part of skiing and I don't see how "stability" (whatever it is) helps?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
presumably shorter skis, rather than longer, are easier in moguls?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well, they just felt better. Stable as in I wasn't falling over when using the wider skis, it felt easier to control them. With the Kastle's I was all over the place...like they were too light or something.
These are more all mountain moguls off piste rather than the close together man made moguls so the conditions are crud and powder, tracked out snow.

By a trough turn, I mean that after a few have skied the run, a channel forms in the route that you almost have to follow rather than choose your own turning area.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, typically, although as with all ski things, that depends. I prefer my 185 GS to my 165 SLs as the SLs are just too grippy and a bit of skidding is helpful.

GordonFreeman, hmmmm, I suspect a. the Kästle is a lighter ski with lower swing weight - which although that would in theory make them easier to ski the bumps, could contribute to a less "stable" perception and b. the Mantras have a bigger cut radius, again making them feel less turny and agile, so giving a "more stable" feel.

But very subjective, I'd imagine that the MX83s are natively a better bumps ski and probably better through tracked trees.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No. But straighter is better, even if a little wider
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name wrote:
pam w, typically, although as with all ski things, that depends. I prefer my 185 GS to my 165 SLs as the SLs are just too grippy and a bit of skidding is helpful.

GordonFreeman, hmmmm, I suspect a. the Kästle is a lighter ski with lower swing weight - which although that would in theory make them easier to ski the bumps, could contribute to a less "stable" perception and b. the Mantras have a bigger cut radius, again making them feel less turny and agile, so giving a "more stable" feel.

But very subjective, I'd imagine that the MX83s are natively a better bumps ski and probably better through tracked trees.

The Kastle has a section in the front of the ski that is taken out and replaced with a see through oval shape of transparent material...supposed to make them lighter and quicker to turn.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
these seem to be the choice https://hartskis.com/terrain-type/mogul

F17 classic 99-66-87
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
GordonFreeman, they don't have metal in them either unlike the Mantras. The cutaway on the kastle website definitely looks like it'll be a lighter construction. I am somewhat skeptical about the cut out tips. Pretty though when backlit.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hobbiteater, they'd be nice.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy