Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Munich - Soll drive

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,

So I know there are plenty of related threads, most of which I've read but most of which I am now struggling to find even with the search function, so please bear with me:
On 27/02 I will be driving from Munich airport to Soll in Austria. I have done Munich-Kitzbuhel once in the past and I know how bad the traffic gets on a Sunday night when driving back to Munich. I nearly missed my flight that day, and would have if the flight hadn't "luckily" been delayed.
This time we're driving back on the Monday morning to catch a 10.30am flight out of Munich. We'd want to be at the airport at about 8/8.30am so I plan on setting off at about 6am. Anyone knows what the traffic is like at that time in the morning, particularly round Munich?
Am I giving myself enough time?

Thanks in advance.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kruisler, traffic on the Munich ring road A99 can be quite dense at that time, but if you leave at 6:00 I would expect you to make it to the A99 by about 7:30, so there should really not be a problem.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Steilhang, Thanks!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kruisler, On the Thursday going to Söll you should be OK at any time of the day if the weather remains the same as it is. I drive into and out of Munich every Thursday and rarely have any problems whatsoever.

But on the Monday morning you could have problems at that time because of the rush hour traffic which builds up around Munich at that time. This morning for example, there were 2 major delays on the A99 heading northwards (one at the Munich South junction heading north, the other between Kirchheim and the Munich North junction).Work for most begins at 08.00, although some jobs start at 07.00, the early shift in my company start at 06.00.

There are many people who drive into Munich on a Monday morning like myself and stay for the working week. Coupled with this is the huge number of trucks that have been held up by the driving ban in Tirol and Salzburg since Saturday night. They can set off at 06.00, so you get long strings of them crawling up the Irschenberg for example. They also overtake each other at every opportunity. This should be at a speed that means the complete manoeuvre takes no more than 45 seconds according to the German version of the Highway Code, but it rarely happens. We call these things Elefanten-Rennen locally (elephant races) and of course the traffic builds up behind these things or everyone piles into the outside lane (that's when the shunt accidents occur). The A93 Kufstein-Rosenheim is a bad one for this as there are only 2 lanes in either direction.

As this time is notorious for driving into, around or across Munich I have permission for my boss to wait until the rush hour is over before setting off as I have to stay late on a Monday evening for one of our in-house English classes. The "rush hour" for Munich on a Monday morning starts between 06.30 and lasts until about 09.00 when it starts to tail off. When I set out on Mondays my sat-nav always warns me of jams in or around my route into and through Munich. By the time I actually reach the city they have all cleared.

If you want I can give you a couple of alternative cross-country routes as the trucks tend to avoid these. However, in bad weather they can be slower especially if you are unsure of the route.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is there a reason you're driving from the airport? Would you consider taking a train? it's very easy & only 2 hours, then you've no worries about traffic Wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Humpfknick,
Thanks but we've already booked the van. There's 5 of us and with all the gear, so hiring a van seemed to make most practical/financial sense.

Samerberg Sue,
Thanks. So do you think leaving at 6 is cutting it too fine?
We have Elefanten-Rennen on the M11 here as well regularly (my commute is 63miles each way and it gets frustrating being stuck behind a lorry that literally takes miles to overtake another..).. wink
Any advice on alternative routes is welcome! We'll have a sat-nav.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kruisler, I can't really say to be honest one way or the other. I've got to get someone to Munich Airport for a flight at a similar time next month on a Monday and I'm planning to leave at 05.30am. I live about 40kms north of Söll just off the autobahn Rosenheim-Salzburg. If we are too early it means we can have a leisurely breakfast at one of the restaurants before going through passport control. Be warned depending on the Terminal you are using, there is relatively little on offer other than Duty Free once you are through security!

I'll PM you a couple of routes I use as alternatives later this week. I'm up to my eyeballs in work at the moment as I am doing a one-man show seminar for trainees tomorrow as well as translating a lot of stuff for company clients whose native language is not English. Three bloody hours of Business English for Zombies! I'm not looking forward to it one iota.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy