Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

When is the worst time to ski the French Alps

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

When do you think is the worst time taking into account crouds, snow, weather, temperature etc. Last year I went to Morzine at the beginning of February and it was soooo busy. I went to Tignes last month and spoke to a local French bar owner who reckoned that February is his busiest month as its the French school hols. Plus the UK has the half term in February to.

Be really interested to learn when you think is the best overall time to choose.

cheers in advance and heres to some excellent snow this season!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mumraa, welcome to snowheads.

I would have said that September would possibly be the worst time for snow, but wouldn't be so bad for crowds, however there are others better placed to tell for sure.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
August
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you mean of the normal 'Tour operator' season xmas-end march. Then french half term (the week when paris+south region is off) is the worst, and when it combines with uk half term it's probably even worse.

My favourties are cheapy week - usually the middle two weeks in jan which is generally a bit quieter but can be VERY COLD, or the last week in feb/first week in march which usually guarantees a good base of snow and slightly warmer weather.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar.org.uk, beat you wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Late late skiing can be fabulous - a week after the Easter holidays, most high-altitude ski areas become quiet or very quiet, and the snow has often accumulated to maximum depth by then (on slopes over 2000m, if not below that altitude). I've often enjoyed magnificent conditions in mid to late April.

Plus ... the weather can be superb!

As for the worst time - you've identified it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ray Zorro, I know, I've always been very slow!

To reply more seriously to mumraa's question, the last three weeks of Feb, plus New Year and sometimes Easter are the busiest, and should be avoided if you can. And welcome to snowHeads!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thanks folks, sorry yes I do mean the normal season Dec to April (ish).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mumraa, yes, I was a little facetious in my reply. Sorry about that.

English half terms are always the most expensive weeks to go and are also very busy. I always choose them rolling eyes rolling eyes

If I had complete flexibility then I would probably pick the last week Jan/first week Feb or first/second week of March. March would typically be warmer

I think that early January tends to be the cheapest and some bargains can be found then. It is often the coldest period and may not be so snow-sure.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
In terms of overall cheapness, I find that the week before christmas, or the first week of january are best, although conditions can be a little variable.

Best compromise in terms of skiing/crowd/sunshine tends to be the first week or two of march. I've not tried late season skiing before, so I'm looking forward to it this season.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
no problem Ray! thanks for your quick responses, it really is much appreciated. We had excellent conditions in the first week in March last year, but the best conditions I have ever had were in the last week in March in Tignes/Val with more than 4 meters and nice temps. This was about 5 years ago I think. I've never been in January though.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mumraa, January could be very cold (-30C in Les Arcs last year in last week of Jan) and either not enough snow or too much tumbling out of the sky (whiteout above the tree line) - but you can also get lucky. Late season is usually more snow sure, especially high up, but it can be icy in the mornings and slush in the afternoons.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Febuary; queues, half term heros, irritable ski intructors, expensive accomodation, packed resturants, lack of choice at the rental shops, stroppy shop staff, busy Zoos. etc. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
after the thaw !
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
February obviously the worst but choose carefully & there are other places in Europe where you can still get relative tranquility (Not that I'm telling you where wink )

Best - well last week of the season was pretty good by all accounts last year well after easter (apart from the guys who got killed on the Grand Motte obviously)
latest report
French school holidays in February. The queues can be horrific.
snow report
there are four weeks of French school holidays, usually last three weeks in February and the first in March (i.e. the weeks when the snow and the weather likely to be at their best...). The two weeks of the Paris holidays are the worst because the Paris holidaymakers are the rudest and most impatient. According to the locals, who just grit their teeth and listen to the noise of the cash registers. Timing of French holidays readily available on loads of internet sites. I think the very worst time, taking into account all the above, is New Year, when as well as big crowds there is a real danger of poor snow and/or bad weather.
latest report
never been xmas or new year, but avoid feb like the plague, increased crowds, prices and sadly chances of getting your skis/boards stolen if not locked up at lunchtime, i try to go late Jan or early March..
ski holidays
Thanks for all your replies folks, it is really helpful.
snow report
whats austria like in feb.. im going anyway as im taking the kids for half term but anyone know when the austrian and german hols are..?
although parisians may be rude they do supply the highest quota of eurobabes with expensive ski gear.. lets face it.. when it comes to glam females no one does it better than the french
snow report
CANV CANVINGTON wrote:

although parisians may be rude they do supply the highest quota of eurobabes with expensive ski gear.. lets face it.. when it comes to glam females no one does it better than the french

Ah yes! but there is a large Tarantula lurking in every arm pit Toofy Grin
ski holidays
CANV CANVINGTON, Cortina d'Amprezza - Do not try and ski here, the distractions are too great. Italian babes rule.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, good call, i forgot about the stylish milan type

here is some french bashing.. some are old hat but there a few new'uns in here
Raise your right hand if you like the French ... raise both hands if you are French

The French Government announced today that it is imposing a ban on the use of fireworks at Euro Disney. The decision comes the day after a nightly fireworks display at the park, located just 30 miles outside of Paris, caused the soldiers at a nearby French Army garrison to surrender to a group of Czech tourists.

France has neither winter nor summer nor morals. Apart from these drawbacks it is a fine country. France has usually been governed by prostitutes."
Mark Twain.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me."
General George S. Patton.

"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion"
Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld.

"We can stand here like the French, or we can do something about it."
Marge Simpson

"As far as I'm concerned, war always means failure"
Jacques Chirac, President of France
"As far as France is concerned, you're right."
Rush Limbaugh

"The only time France wants us to go to war is when the German Army is sitting in Paris sipping coffee."
Regis Philbin.

"The French are a smallish, monkey-looking bunch and not dressed any better, on average, than the citizens of Baltimore. True, you can sit outside in Paris and drink little cups of coffee, but why this is more stylish than sitting inside and drinking large glasses of whisky I don't know."
P.J O'Rourke (1989).

"You know, the French remind me a little bit of an aging actress of the 1940s who was still trying to dine out on her looks but doesn't have the face for it."
John McCain U.S. Senator from Arizona.

"You know why the French don't want to bomb Saddam Hussein? Because he hates America, he loves mistresses and wears a beret. He is French, people."
Conan O'Brien

"I don't know why people are surprised that France won't help us get Saddam out of Iraq. After all, France wouldn't help us get Hitler out of France either"
Jay Leno.

"The last time the French asked for 'more proof' it came marching into Paris under a German flag."
David Letterman

Only thing worse than a Frenchman is a Frenchman who lives in Canada.
Ted Nugent.

War without France would be like ... uh ... World War II.
Anon

"The favorite bumper sticker in Washington D.C. right now is one that says 'First Iraq, then France.'"
Tom Brokaw.

"What do you expect from a culture and a nation that exerted more of its national will fighting against Disney World and Big Macs than the Nazis?"
Dennis Miller.

"It is important to remember that the French have always been there when they needed us."
Alan Kent

"They've taken their own precautions against al-Qa'ida. To prepare for an attack, each Frenchman is urged to keep duct tape, a white flag, and a three-day supply of mistresses in the house."
Argus Hamilton

"Somebody was telling me about the French Army rifle that was being advertised on eBay the other day -- the description was, 'Never shot. Dropped once.'"
Rep. Roy Blunt (MO)

"The French will only agree to go to war when we've proven we've found truffles in Iraq."
Dennis Miller

Q. What did the mayor of Paris say to the German Army as they entered the city in WWII?
A. Table for 100,000 m'sieur?

"Do you know how many Frenchmen it takes to defend Paris? It's not known, it's never been tried."
Rep. R. Blount (MO)

"Do you know it only took Germany three days to conquer France in WWII? And that's because it was raining."
John Xereas, Manager, DC Improv.

The AP and UPI reported that the French Government announced after the London bombings that it has raised its terror alert level from Run to Hide. The only two higher levels in France are Surrender and Collaborate. The rise in the alert level was precipitated by a recent fire which destroyed France's white flag factory, effectively disabling their military.
ski holidays
CANV CANVINGTON, you've been hoarding!

mumraa might be better off asking which times are better (rather than worst!). Best I've had were the week immediately after NY (snow conditions were a bit dodgy in places, but not adversely so, and there was no-one there! Not too cold either), and the first week of Feb (before the UK/French kid crowd arrives) when I had the best snow of my life. Personally in March I've never had good snow and the slopes were packed, but that's cause I chose Meribel.....

Level of crowding depends alot also on the resort. Big French networks like Espace Killy and PDS will be "busy" even outside the peak times. Whereas a lesser known resort might feel pleasantly empty by comparison during the peak times.
snow report
i tend to prefer march over january as temperatures are higher and visibility is generally better but you pay more.
Question is whether the quieter period before Xmas is better than the busy period in february on average. i don't know as I've not slid either. Anybody done both in the same resort?
snow conditions
mumraa, Basically, during the 4 weeks of the French school holidays in February all the rest of Europe also have holidays. Shocked Shocked Fortunately not all the same week, but unfortunately Britain and southern holland often have the same week as the big Paris one! Avoid any school holidays like the plague if you can. If you can't then Xmas and Easter aren't too bad - especially when Easter is late. When Easter's early, go afterwards and independently for a really good experience. Very Happy Shocked Shocked
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy