Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Drive from Zeebrugge for Easter skiing for youngsters - Zermatt or Saas Fee?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We're considering a drive ski holiday (from Scotland hence ferry to Zeebrugge) for our 2 below 8 year old's first experience. We've been told both Zermatt and Saas Fee are still good early April - do they have equally good kids ski schools, as we want their first experience to be good.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
AliRam, welcome to Snowheads. Loads of places are still good early April. You're right to prioritise the quality of ski school - are you looking for private or group lessons?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
probably group - and it's got to be a decent drive hence thinking about those places
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

it's got to be a decent drive hence thinking about those places

many resorts are about the same driving distance (eg the Tarentaise) and some (e.g. Avoriaz) usefully less. So I wouldn't think you need to be constrained by the drive factor. BASS Avoriaz would be a good choice of ski school, with small groups.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Interested in Avoriaz - I just thought we may need to be higher to not get slush at that time of year. I've not been for many many years, so rather relying on what you guys who are out there are all saying, and newspaper reviews, where those 2 resorts came up as good end if season.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Saas Fee is a pretty straightforward drive - more so than Zermatt.

Skiing at Easter with young ones is always a good choice, less weather to deal with, under normal circumstances. I'd get a short list together based on your requirements, and then wait to see what the snow does and then book in March.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
AliRam,
Our children were older but we found that both Summit and Stoked in Zermatt had excellent, child-friendly English-speaking instructors. There are a couple of dedicated areas for beginners but the children seem to progress quite quickly to sking on the mountains. We've been a number of times before in late March/ early April and have generally found good snow, good weather and quiet pistes. The village is lovely as it emerges into Spring and the streets a lot easier to walk on than they can be in winter. We've also had some very snowy weather at that time of the year but that's the mountains for you. Whatever you decide, hope you all have a great holiday.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
AliRam, conditions at that time of year can be slushy on south facing slopes in the afternoon even in higher resorts, if the weather is hot. Though slush can be very enjoyable. wink A resort with runs with different aspect (south for the morning, more shady for later) is good in April when aspect can be more important than altitude.

Never been to Saas Fee - but might be worth seeking some informed opinion on suitability for beginners - some reviews note that easy runs are few and far between. With any resort, at that time of year, the availability of good nursery slopes (and, more difficult to find) nice easy slopes to progress to, up the mountain, is a key point as the "village" nursery areas might be slushy and the transition from nursery slope to "proper" slopes can be fierce in some resorts.

It's low season in France (can't speak for Switzerland) so advice to book late is good.

With small kids, ease of getting to (and from) ski school meeting places to your accommodation, and from the accommodation to other forms of entertainment (notably toboganning) is also critical. I found that supposedly tired kids could get a second wind if taken toboganning - but that means changing out of ski boots, picking up the tobogan, etc. A small, compact, resort can be easier. And unless you are on a big budget feeding kids on the mountain in Zermatt could be a bit of a shock to the wallet.

I don't know Avoriaz well, only spent a couple of days there, years ago, but there are plenty of people on SHs who do know it well and could advise. The BASS ski schools would be reliable, native English speaking instructors, small groups, good reputation.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The only thing I might add, is Swiss resorts don't charge for children, but the age ranges vary from resort to resort, so it could be worth it to research. Beginning of April, you don't necessarily need a glacier.

The whole area between Verbier and Sass Fee, in that valley has average coverage this year, not poor, but not part of the extreme dumps either. And there are plenty of smaller resorts in that valley that are going to be cheerful and more like what PamW is describing...

Beginning of April, I think it is only the UK that have holidays - so you're going to be clear almost everywhere. But look at Villars, of Belalp, or Wengen/Murren
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The North Sea ferry trip is very good -- especially if you get the filipino crew (better food !! Smile )
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Am outin Saas Fee at the moment. We don't have kids, but do have a late beginner with us. The village nursery slopes are good, ones off to the right if you look on a piste map are all on their own, not on the home run, so you are less likely to get home run heroes comin through at 100mph there. The runs up the mountain are somewhat more difficult. Some nice blues that have their own lifts attached so they can be lapped, such as the one up at langfluh, but you'll need to get the kids down using the lift system until they are red run competent tbh. Optimum (green outfits) run a good looking ski school, though I've only used for a 2hr adult private they seem to be good with the kids. The Swiss school also have English instructors and run lessons in English, but appear (to an uneducated adult) a bit more 'follow me'

The drive for us from Calais took around 11 hours including a couple of stops for food and fuel, overnight at the start of half term.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sounds interesting - thanks. Is bit eye wateringly expensive to eat?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
AliRam, I really rate Saas Fee and we're going there again this year first week of the Easter holidays. We were there same week last year in April and the snow was still brilliant even at village level. Slushy at the bottom a couple of days but had fresh snow in the village 3 days while we were there.

Ski schools - was my son's first try on skis and used the Swiss ski school for him, he was only 4 and enjoyed their 1hr and a half lessons. They were really good though he did benefit from a really small group. I used the Eskimo ski school which were excellent, had almost private lessons at group rate prices. They guarantee no more than 6 per group though for a couple of days there were only 2 of us and instructor was excellent.

Great place and good ski schools which I would personally recommend.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh yes - eating out is pretty expensive unfortunately, we went diy self catering last year and even supermarkets pretty dear and ate out a couple of times which was somewhat eye watering ... Found a good deal with Neilsen this year for half board hotel right at the bottom of the slopes which will hopefully reduce the costs a bit!

Undeniable though thay Switzerland is pricey.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Its meat that isn't a sausage that's the main expense if you DIY food. Take stuff like mince from home if you can take an ice pack in a cool box, but the poor exchange rate does make it seem more expensive. If you are eating on the mountain, often half portions of pasta/bolognaise suffice for all but the most large appetite. Pizzas will often do an adult and child for lunch. We do 1 pizza, 1 chips between 2 adults. Best advice is to carry water or other drink on the mountain as the price of even a glass of coke can be more eye watering than the food. I think we had chips at 7CHF and a 500ml drink for 6.50CHF... Food not too bad all things considered, post mix drink a bit much everyday.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy