Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to ski-skim a pond

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The event is often photographed, but the technique is rarely explained!

Pond-skimming - which is a late-season stunt, but no reason not to chat about it now - involves skiing at enough speed down a snow in-run to 'water ski' across a pond. It goes on when the snow thaws and forms natural (or artificially contained) pools.

Here's how to do it, with a good slide show, from Skiing magazine.

Anyone tried it?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Young James snowskisnow did it to good effect at EOSB2005

you can see the picture sequence here:

(the link will take you to the start of the sequence)

there's a video too, maybe it's up on snowMediaZone?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Goldsmith wrote:
The event is often photographed, but the technique is rarely explained!

Anyone tried it?

yep, on serveral occasions.

very good fun, provided you are either drunk, or have a method of getting warm again soon after.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We had to do it regularly in Whistler last season - during the rains it was the only technique you could use to ensure you kept up enough speed to reach the lifts across the flats Shocked

The first time I tried it I nealy double-ejected out of my skis when they rapidly de-celerated upon hitting the water......
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes I've done it, excellent fun!!

Technique I used was crouch in a tuck to get up as much speed as possible, "pop" but don't jump too much as you launch, and then going across the water have weight completely even and slightly back, just like water skiing.

Make sure you have someone with a big towel and change of clothes standing nearby!

When I did it I only had one pair of boots with me and didn't want to soak the liners for the rest of my trip. So I put a bin liner between the shell and the liner, then taped it up with duck tape round my legs. Worked perfectly!!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Duck tape in a pond - what a great application!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes, I tried it a few years ago in Alp D'Huez on a snowboard... I would liken it to going into soft powder - weight onto the back foot and let the glide carry you through... Here's a video clip ....

http://www.snowandocean.co.uk/vid_clips/Richie_pool.ASF

Great fun, but took a bit of time to work up the courage to try it thou !
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Richie_S,

It's SO much easier on a snowboard... wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've also done it in Scotland (back corries in Nevis) when it's a slimy black peat bog you're splashing through, rather than a nice blue puddle! Same technique though Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
beanie1, yadda yadda yadda, I'm not listening..... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I did see a guy do it on snow blades too - made it look easy !
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
beanie1 wrote:
Richie_S,

It's SO much easier on a snowboard... wink

funny how the boarders always get knocked out early in the comps though, usaully by round 2-3. they just can;t glide as fast on the ever decreasing run-up
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I guess the same principle applies to driving a snowmobile across a lake (as featured on a previous Top Gear). The important thing is to keep the revs and speed up, otherwise you're sunk (literally) Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This video ("How not to ski" has some attempts to ski across a puddle (pond?).

Unfortunately, it's about 8mb so expect a long wait if you're on a dial-up rolling eyes

The water-skiing starts after about 2 mins 20 secs I think

Cool snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

funny how the boarders always get knocked out early in the comps though, usaully by round 2-3. they just can;t glide as fast on the ever decreasing run-up

Yup! When I did it the winner was on 2 squalls (spelling?). Those on touring skis did well too. Got to strike the right balance between surface area and need for speed!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy